Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, I was thinking about puting some crimson trace grips on my new Sig P226 and I'd like to hear pros and cons. Here's the pistol in question:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks for your input...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lots of folks like them, I have used them once, really will show you how unstable you are.. LOL little red dot dancing all over. Good thing it will be dancing all over the 10 ring.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I looked at then a couple of years ago for my 226. IIRC they have a rubber piece with finger grooves that wraps around the front of the grip. I didn't like the way it looked or felt on the gun.

I'm better when I move.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was checking some out at the last gunshow and thought they were pretty cool on their demo pistols....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by FlaRick
I looked at then a couple of years ago for my 226. IIRC they have a rubber piece with finger grooves that wraps around the front of the grip. I didn't like the way it looked or felt on the gun.

They make 2 different models for the p226 now so I'll have to check into that.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've got crimson trace grips on both my LCR .38 and LCR .22. I really like them. They're quick to get on target and increase accuracy, in my case anyway . I have a Viridian light/lazer (green) on the rail of my Beretta PX4 Storm .45. The green lazer is very visible in daylight. Lazers are expensive but I think they are well worth it on some pistols.

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have some on a Glock 19. Like them just fine.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've got CTC grips on several guns. IMHO, they are best-suited to the smaller guns, like J-frames, that are harder to shoot. My CTC-equipped 442 will put 5/5 shots into a pie plate at 25 yards with the CTC's on it, which extends my "kill" range to double what it would be without.

I also have CTC's on my Glock 23. It's the gun that sleeps beside my bed, and the gun I take with me to the movies... I can hit the -0 zone of an IDPA target in the dark at 35 yards with the CTC laser on it. Without it, even with tritium sights, half the distance.

YMMV.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CTC's are pricey...if you ask me, they don't charge what they're worth. They don't really replace anything, you still use your sights on instinct. For training purposes, I love that little dot just confirming my sight picture. It also allows you to shoot accurately from some weird positions. It makes for one hell of a night sight. I really like them on my combat guns.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This Beretta PX4 Storm .45acp is my bedroom gun. I keep the Viridian sight set on strobe light with the green dot.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RWL99; 02/20/13.

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm legally blind, lazer sights do me NO good.

I'm holding out for the new radar sights. You just wave your gun around and when you hear a return 'ping' ...

Pull the trigger!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Daylight lasers are silly. If you have trouble seeing irons, or just want to be quicker in general, milling the slide to accept an RMR is the way to go. Hope to do this myself in the foreseeable future.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have them, they work. OTOH with so many Doc Holidays and Wyatt Earp's out there today, most wont need them.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Seemed like a cool idea at first blush, but after getting them I became less impressed with the whole concept of laser sighting systems on handguns. First of all, it's just another thing that can go wrong, and if you've come to depend on them you will be out of luck when that battery fails at the worst possible time. I didn't find it so much of an improvement over traditional sights as to counterbalance this consideration.

IMO, a lot of folks who've made the investment become emotionally invested in the idea itself, and will for this reason think more favorably of them than they would otherwise. Sort of the opposite of cognitive dissonance, i.e., you want to think favorably of something you've spent a lot of money on.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I put them on my P226 in 40S&W, and my 380 Ruger LCP. I like them and guns shoot to the little red dot, can't ask for anything better.
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have one on my Airweight J Frame. It has been quite a useful training tool for this piece. No thoughts of putting one on larger handguns.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Like I said, lasers are OK on some handguns. My main carry is a XDs .45,... there is NO NEED for one on this gun.. smirk

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I mounted crimson's on my Ruger 22 pistol strictly for keeping varments out of my trashcan's at night. Mainly because I cant see the sites in the dark. I keep that gun full of CCI Quiet-22LR's It's a 40 Grain/710 FPS coon thumper. I can see where CT's would give someone that extra confidence that they are on target. But I don't think I would like them on my carry guns.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I was never a fan until my wife's S &W M& P 9C came with a set.
She can hold the dot like it was painted on!
And shoots like it too.
Me? I use the spray 'em all over technique. That way one is assured of maximum target coverage.

I wish they made one for my Diamondback 9!
I'd snap it up ASAP.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner
Daylight lasers are silly. If you have trouble seeing irons, or just want to be quicker in general, milling the slide to accept an RMR is the way to go. Hope to do this myself in the foreseeable future.

By "RMR", do you mean a reflex sight? I've been watching the development of these tiny optical sights for a few years... the seem to be getting better in quality and durability, and prices are starting to come down, too.

I'm not so sure that "daylight lasers are silly", though. When my former department went to the SIG P220, we got new holsters, and the sheriff paid for rail-mounted lasers and the holsters to go with them. Not only that, but they gave our whole department low-light training with them, so by the time I left just about every guy on patrol had a light/laser on his gun.

We had several guys use their lasers during daylight hours over the subsequent couple years. Funny thing, the sun might be shining outside, but when you chase an armed felon into a building it can get dark really, really fast...

Another observation re daylight lasers... they're "banned" in most action pistol competition, even though those matches are almost always held in daylight. Seems that lasers give the users "an unfair advantage" over their competitors. I happen to know it's true. A few years ago I shot an IDPA BUG match "off the record" with my CTC-equipped Centennial. I not only shot better than several guys that normally beat me, but I shot a better score on those stages with my 442 than I had shot with my fullsize 686 previously that day.

I've worked with my laser-fitted guns in both daylight and dark, and I can say with confidence that the lasers improve my ability to shoot tighter, faster groups at a greater distance in all but the brightest sunlight.

I haven't shot a match with a reflex sight on one of my handguns, but I expect that will be highly advantageous over iron sights as well. As soon as I get one, I'll try it out and report back here.
grin

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,685
Posts18,475,096
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.