bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Let the parks keep the money that they collect and just leave them alone. They'd be self sustaining. The problem is they put the money into the general fund and "poof" it's gone!

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Open the parks up to hunting and public use, we don't need no national parks.... it's not natural..

1 and done
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Rest assured they will sill have four layers of administrators on the payroll

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by highridge1
Open the parks up to hunting and public use, we don't need no national parks.... it's not natural..

Teddy and Stephen just rolled over in their graves. The parks are a vital part of our nations infrastructure and money well spent compared to many other line items in the budget.

There are millions that tour several parks every year, spending money along their travel paths injecting vital amounts of money to rural communities. The RV rental industry alone was pretty much established because of the parks.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
When did the park rangers become god? Why if they run out of money do we have to stay off the national park? I aid my taxes for the Parks. What a bunch of bs that the gov can not and will not manage its money so I can not go into a National Park if the gov runs out of money. Too bad we don't have a law that they can't kick us out.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Park service employee's should be volunteers.

I've worked in National Parks - believe me, most jobs are not for volunteers. Fire fighting, trailcrews, road maintenance, heavy equipment operation, bear patrol, etc. are not for volunteers!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross

Why? Everyone else gets paid for the work they do.

What work exactly does park service do?

Well I know they like to harass the hell out of folks.

This is funny.

And I am a dumbass, I just kinda assumed the Parks made enough money to pay for themselves.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is an eye-opener:

What We Do
National Park Service by the Numbers*

$48,000,000,000 incentivized in private historic preservation investment
11,700,000,000 visitors
$5,409,252,508 in preservation and outdoor recreation grants awarded
$2,750,000,000 annual budget
121,603,193 objects in museum collections
97,417,260 volunteer hours
84,000,000 acres of land
4,502,644 acres of oceans, lakes, reservoirs
2,482,104 volunteers
218,000 jobs supported in gateway communities
85,049 miles of perennial rivers and streams
68,561 archeological sites
43,162 miles of shoreline
28,000 employees
27,000 historic structures
2,461 national historic landmarks
582 national natural landmarks
400 endangered species
398 national parks
49 national heritage areas
1 mission: The National Park Service cares for special places saved by the American people so that all may experience our heritage.

*numbers are cumulative through the end of FY 2008

http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/index.htm

Lots more crazy stuff at the link above, this link below is more fun stuff:

http://www.nature.nps.gov/climatechange/

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

N
N
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross

Why? Everyone else gets paid for the work they do.

What work exactly does park service do?

The Park Service maintains, staffs and manages some of this countries biggest tourist (foreign and domestic) attractions. Should the staff at six flags be volunteers? What about hunting and fishing guides?

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think they're proposing cutting funding to the Parks Svc because they are tied to the same funding as the Transportation and Education systems in the US. Parks are the first ones to feel the axe.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just close the visitor centers and the entrance shacks and go home. Leave the gates open - it's our park - we will take care of ourselves.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[/quote]

What work exactly does park service do?[/quote]

Well I know they like to harass the hell out of folks. [/quote]

This is funny.

And I am a dumbass, I just kinda assumed the Parks made enough money to pay for themselves.

[/quote]

Just take trip into the "back country" or try to watch a bear from the road one time and you'll know what I mean.

We run a trip in there every year and they usually come in to inspect our camp. Once they brought in the backcountry ranger gal and 4 gunpackers to our camp. By boat, it was on the east shore on the lake.

Imagine a cop with the worst "my lunch was always stolen while I was a kid, so now I'm on a power trip" syndrome and that is how pretty much every Park service cop or back country ranger is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
Just close the visitor centers and the entrance shacks and go home. Leave the gates open - it's our park - we will take care of ourselves.

Just close the Admin Building and the Registrars Office and go home. Leave the Library open - it's our College - we will take care of ourselves.

Sounds like a college administrator to me! grin

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hear that YNP might even have to turn Old Faithful off.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 257wby
When are folks going to figure out that we're broke? Maybe Yellowstone will be closed for 20 years. We don't need the parks, they're nice to have, but JFC, when there's NO MORE MONEY, there's NO MORE MONEY.

Amen.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CCCC

Who will pick up all the beer cans?

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's Au Phuc Dup, and I ain't talkin' 'bout Viet Nam, either...

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
11,700,000,000 visitors...

BS, you BS'er

Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they want a war let it begin here.

Captain John Parker, commander of the militiamen at Lexington, Massachusetts, on sighting British Troops (attributed), April 19, 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
This about the same as when the city of Colorado Springs turned off street lights and locked doors in city park restrooms. They choose the highly visibale things that impact the public as scare tactics.

They are still short of money,but now want to pay the City Council Members $48K per year where they get $6K per year for apart time job.

You can bet the Admin. people at both parks will not be cut,pay wise,time wise, or number wise.

exactly, but no one wants to crunch the numbers. you look at the operating budget of a huge park like yellowstone, or yosemite or any of them, it's in the millions yes, but when you consider the billions of foreign aid we give to our enemies.... WTF? for what? honestly, for all the gov "services" out there, the national parks and the like are the last ones we should try cutting. in reality they are the only ones that EVERYONE can use and enjoy. everything else is special interest or foreign.

yet they cut what will impact the public the most, because that's who is paying for it and will voice an opinion. at the end of the day no politician cares about what side of the isle or who's right or wrong. they are about themselves, bottom line, bottom feeder.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 1234, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 46 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,456
Posts18,529,096
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.