Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I can get a demo Leica CRF 1000 rangefinder from Doug for $399 or a new Vortex Ranger 1000 for $379.

The Leica has a 3 month non-tranferable warranty and the Vortex has a completely transferable lifetime warranty.

Which would you choose?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leica for sure

1 and done
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably Vortex just for the warranty. I believe performance is similar.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Leica.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Rangefinder reviews are so subjective they're hardly worth reading in my opinion.

Here's why:

Some people take care of their equipment, others beat the living crap out of their stuff without even giving it a second thought. In regards to rangefinders, I've noticed this just by watching two different people change a battery in a rangefinder out in the field. One was careful to open the battery cover with the right sized coin for the job, got the battery in carefully and correctly and closed the cover securely without a hitch and without marring up the finish or coin slot. The other guy used an ill-fitting screw driver for the job which nicked up the coin slot and somehow managed to drop the battery in the snow. And then, as if that weren't enough managed to put the battery in the wrong way and didn't bother to make sure it was completely dry before inserting it into the rangefinder. After I pointed out to him that the battery was inserted up-side-down he proceeded to remove and re-insert it correctly, still paying no attention to the fact that his hands were still wet from the snow. With the battery in correctly, my friend then proceeded to secure the battery cover, again scratching and marring up the finish and probably over-tightening the cover in the process.

Which rangefinder do you think will work properly and get the best review?

I'm all for hunting hard and expecting equipment to perform in rugged conditions but in doing so my rifles, binos, rangefinder etc...don't get dropped, run over, dragged through the mud... simply because I make a conscious effort to take care of them.

I have read a ton of positive and negative reviews about both of these rangefinders and have come to the conclusion that both companies, as well as others who manufacture rangefinders have put out good ones and lemons(electronics can be finicky).

I received a Vortex Ranger 1000 RF as a gift this past Christmas. I have owned Vortex Viper 8x42 binos(a friend now owns these) and presently own Viper 6x32 binos(these are incredibly nice glass and perfect for close-in woods hunting on out to 250-300yds or so.

Vortex seems to be very concerned about giving good customer service though I have not needed it.

My father owns one of the earlier Leica rangefinders(purchased new by him) and has hardly used it, mainly because it has not been very reliable(ie, hard to get consistent readings and battery life is horrible, actually this may be the reason why it doesn't range well). Like I said, its hardly been used, and Leica won't touch it as far as warranty service goes.

Having said all that, I have been very pleased with the 2 Vortex Ranger 1000 RFs I've tested. Both worked equally well and gave the same readings(consistently)out to the 500 + yards I tested them at. One of them went back to the store in favor of the one I kept because it was so much cheaper at Cabelas at Christmas time. So, neither of the two Vortex RFs I got were lemons. Furthermore, if I ever have a problem with mine, I'm confident that Vortex will honor their Lifetime, no-fault, transferable warranty.

Just my opinion and experience.

My suggestion would be to purchase both, test both from your back porch and return the one you find inferior to Cameraland for a refund. It might cost you a few $ in shipping but you will have peace of mind that you made the right decision. Then, hope you never have to use the warranty. grin

Good luck, Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 02/21/13.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'd make sure and as Drum (huntsonora) about his Vortex rangefinder before you buy one. Lefty, are you sure about the "lifetime warranty" on the Vortex RF, electronics and all?

Last edited by JGRaider; 02/21/13.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
JG,

Just read the warranty page on the back page of my Vortex RF instruction manual.

It is a little different than I thought(Lifetime limited warranty). If you have any problems due to manufacturer defects, call Vortex and they will repair or replace the rangefinder free of charge. So, don't beat the hell out of your equipment and your warranty should be in effect if you should need it.

No warranty card to fill out so it should be transferable.

I'm not worried as Vortex seems to be in the business of keeping their customers happy.

Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 02/21/13.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That's good to know, but I bet the electronics only carry a 2-3 yr warranty at most.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Does not give a time limit anywhere in the warranty or on the box. Vortex seems to be in the business of hanging on to their customers(according to all the reviews I've read).

Only correspondence I've had from Vortex was when their CEO contacted me personally(here by PM on "the campfire") after I posted a review of my Viper 8x42s in the optics forum here.

He was concerned that I was not happy with the carry case that came with the binos(I stated in my review that it was a bit too snug for the 8x42s and needed to be a little wider).
A week later I received a package from Vortex with a newly designed(larger) carry case for the 8x42s and a free lens pen and an extra pair of objective lens covers for when the original ones wear out.

I was impressed to say the least.

Leftybolt

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Leica CRF 1200 and a Vortex Ranger 1000. I have run them side by side, and there is no difference in the ranging performance between them. For the money difference, it is a no brainer. Get the Vortex. In this circumstance, it is still a no brainer because of the warranty issue. You still get the Vortex.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That is an impressive warranty and CS lefty. I like the looks of that Viper 4-16x44 LR scope they have.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I actually emailed Vortex to ask them about the Lifetime, transferable warranty. Here is the return email:

Good morning Fred,

Thanks for contacting Vortex Optics. All of our optics have our VIP Warranty http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/vip_warranty Including the Ranger 1000 rangefinder.

Thanks again,

Tim Austin | Dealer/Customer Support | Vortex Optics | Toll Free 800.426.0048 ext. 304 | Direct 608.662.1394

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Seriously how long do you think the Vortex lifetime warranty will be good for? How long will this company be in business? 5 years? 10 years at most is my guess and then your warranty is worthless.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'd make sure and as Drum (huntsonora) about his Vortex rangefinder before you buy one. Lefty, are you sure about the "lifetime warranty" on the Vortex RF, electronics and all?

Go with the Leica!!!!

I am a vortex fan but I tested a bunch of rangefinders and the Vortex was always off. I really wanted to like them but after testing a bunch of them I won't own one

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How long has Vortex been in business now ?? I have one of their old Viper 6X20X50 30 mm scopes and have nothing but good to say about it. Wish I had bought a 6 pack of them. Tracking has been perfect. Their new stuff is even better than mine and they seem to be listening to what "the people want" ! Got as good a warrenty as Leupold. NOPE, I they are going to be here for a long time. My Vortex range finder will be here Monday and I can't wait.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Vortex is a company owned by the same owner that owns Eagle Optics and they have been in business since the early 80's. They also have a great reputation

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
reelman--Which would you rather have--a lifetime warranty that is honored for 5 or 10 years before a company goes out of business, or a three year warranty that a company won't honor in the first place? I got burned by Leica really bad on a rangefinder that was six months old in 2007, so don't tell me how good the Leica warranty is.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
reelman, where is your evidence of their failure as a company? None? I thought not.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How many years was REDFIELD in business and they went under, didn't they.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Years back I got a demo Leica 1200 yard RF from Doug and love it!! It reliable scans out to 1310 yaards....

Ted
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

323 members (1lesfox, 160user, 22kHornet, 1badf350, 21, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,112
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.