Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK, I"m heading to South Africa in August. I'll be hunting everything from Steenbuck to Eland. I plan on taking my Weatherby Ultralight in 7mm RM. My question, 140gr Barnes TTSX or 160gr Barnes TSX/Accubond? I'm partial to the 140gr TTSX but know those animals are tough, even the little guys. Thanks.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Split the difference 150 TTSX

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What about the Barnes LRX 145g or 168g ?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking at the bullets listed above as I know my rifle likes them. I'm open to others through, I have been thinking of trying the LRX line..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd go the 160TTSX in the 7RM.

I intend to take my 300WSM and use the 168TTSX.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have a friend here that went to namibia last fall with his 7mag. He killed impala to eland, 13 total animals, with 175 partitions. He said he culled a few animals with a 160 tsx.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I used the factory Federal 175gr TBBC in my 7mm RM and they performed flawlessly on springbok, impala, and gemsbok.

Just another option to look at.

He went over yonder way
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AB2506
I'd go the 160TTSX in the 7RM.

I intend to take my 300WSM and use the 168TTSX.

That would be my choice but stand by for the all you need is a 243 crowd...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're hunting in the northern Province (Limpopo) your shots will be close, 200 yards being an extremely long shot. Most of our hunters are shooting 50-125 yards for all the game. It's thick bush habitat. The 7MM Mag is a very long range tool and you will be using it for a very short range application ( in the NP).

You would be wise to choose the heavier bullets as the impact velocities would be extreme and put a lot of pressure on any cup and core, or bonded core bullet. The best choice are the TSX monolithic bullets with the ranges you will have. I (we) always prefer to fall on the side of heavier side when using the Magnum Long range rifles.

Remember that people without a lot of experience will suggest many things to you. But you have to wonder with the input they share how many animals were taken and how many trips were involved. What country and habitat were they in? South Africa has a vast diversity of habitat, from Kalahari Desert to Natal jungle Rainforest, Coastal open flats with rolling grassy hills, and Mountains with snow that are exactly like hunting the wyoming rockies. Be prepared for lots of comments from folks who have no idea which of these habitats you will be in, and many don't even understand the diversity.

If you're hunting the Eastern Cape or Kalahari, the ranges will be much better suited to the 7mm long range rifle you have. In those areas much like Namibia you will likely shoot 200-300 plus yards as a normal distance.

My Loaner Rifle is a 30/06 shooting the 165grain TSX and has been a flawless Performer on game here. If you shoot 175 grain bullets at 3000 ish that would mirror closely the 30/06 loads of mine that are 165 grain at 2950ish fps. This combination has accounted for well over 1000 animals ..........it works with good placement every time.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks JJ, looks like I'm hunting the Mata Mata area. I'm thinking the 160 TSX is going with me. I do have a 338WM but I've shot it very little and I only have about 6 months to get used to it.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, you're going to be in a very unique habitat in South Western Africa. It's open country with rolling hills and scarcely wooded then the More common safari destinations. You will have longer shots here on average.

The 7mag will be a good choice as this area will let you watch the game you shoot run quite a distance. In many cases we just drove up to recover them and stopped the truck next to them. Not much brush, in the way, but the sand makes travel difficult. This is right near the border of Namibia. Certainly not a Prime Safari destination when considering how many hunters are going and how few to this area.

It will surprise you at some point in the future if you hunt other regions of South Africa to see the huge difference in landscape. How do you get there from Joburg? Are you driving? it's a very long way from the airport in Joburg. However that drive will show the diversity of habitat as you will drive through the Bush on the way to the desert habitat you will be in.

Do a google earth search and you can see the city (town, village) of Mata Mata, and the surrounding habitat. This will give you an idea of the open habitat you will be in.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both your 7mm and 338 will be running rather high velocities which are not always condusive to bushveld hunting, specially with lighter type projectiles.

Prepare to have a shoulder mount or a Euro mount for the steenbok as both calibers are going to destroy the rest of the trophy. If you have monolithic solids it may work out differently or either borrow your PH's 375 with a solid for the steenbok.

Mata Mata sounds like the very far North western part of the country which is right on the border with the Kalahari. Your shots should be on the longer side so 145 gr will work super. Go for a good lung shot on the eland and do not try to reach the vitals via the rear end.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would try the Remington Safari line with the 160gr Swift A-Frame bullet-

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having had lots of clients with bonded bullets and theTSX, the TSX wins hands down. If recovery of a very pretty mushroomed bullet is the goal, nothing better then the bonded bullets. For my money, and advising my clients as well. I want that bullet to travel through as much as possible and exit when ever possible.

Bonded Bullets on average escape the hide maybe 50% of the time. The TSX will exit the opposite side about 90% of the time or more!

When you have seen hundreds or thousands of animals shot, and then had the responsibility to find them. The TSX stands head and shoulders above all other ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know you didn't mention this bullet but I'd surely be thinking about the 175 Noz. One incredible bullet and combo out of a Big 7.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Used the 160TSX in the 7mm WSM and 168 TSX in the 300 WSM. Hit the shoulder on a 1900# eland At about 70 yds.. It went about 90 yds and went down, required a finisher or two in the dark. If the bone had been missed it would have a short blood trail. I think the heavier bullet within reason the better. Nothing was shot past 200 yd. The 160 was plenty flat shooting. Got a good shoulder mount on a bushbuck. ! 1/2" exit on chest.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I wouldnt hesitate to use the 160 TSX...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm personally not a 7mm RM for Africa fan, but many swear by them. Your choice of the 160 TSX is a good one, as is the 160 grain Remington Swift A-Frame someone mentioned.

I shot a large eland in Namibia this past October using a .338 loaded with 225 grain TSX's at 312 lasered yards. Second shot was at 230 and the finisher at 80. Eland are very large and IMO, a bullet that is capable of breaking large shoulder bones is a plus. Were I to do it over again, a .375 with 300 grain TSX's or A-Frames would have been a better choice. When they butcher your eland, the size and mass of the shoulder bones will definitely impress. You may not be able to get into position for a picture perfect broadside shot and for a quartering shot, bigger is better, even with good shot placement.

Enjoy your hunt!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I'm going to move forward with using the 7mm with 160gr TSX at the moment. I will be shooting the .338WM with 225gr TSX as well, if I feel confident by August it may go. Pics when I get back..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bglimpse
OK, I"m heading to South Africa in August. I'll be hunting everything from Steenbuck to Eland. I plan on taking my Weatherby Ultralight in 7mm RM. My question, 140gr Barnes TTSX or 160gr Barnes TSX/Accubond? I'm partial to the 140gr TTSX but know those animals are tough, even the little guys. Thanks.

you shoot straight and they won't know the difference in 20 gr of bullet weight with a Triple Shock . Use the 140 gr if that is what you like the best.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (arky65, Aviator, afisher, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.