Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 21 22
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, and you guys fed the buff mineral in their cake. Common practice.

Cattle really like it as well. About $300/ton.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Thank God things are a little more laid back here(so far).

take it you havent tried to get back behind the Burke Ranch while they were out in the yard.....while not breaking the law they get real grumpy at you just following their fence line all the way back....or atleast they did several years ago when Darla and i were looking for a cow elk......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the Burke brothers made the paper the other day. It was a funny story.

Burke was surprised to be found by Search and Rescue because he thought the plan was for his family to not report him as missing unless he was out a few more days.

Burke was skiing when searchers found him and said it took him longer to make the trip than expected.

About 20 search and rescue crew members and helicopter were involved with the search efforts Saturday. Crews that night found Burke�s vehicle at the trailhead of the north fork of the Blackfoot River.

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/21/13.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk
Even though I don't have a bone in this fight, I know some ranchers in the thick of the issue and without question, they're not in favor of it. My take is there's concern about the land grab by non-rofits funded by wealthy out of state folks, a subsequent bidding war for public grazing leases and the potential negative impact to their own property and lifestyle. On this issue, I will side with my friends.

Non profit with deep out of state pockets and plans.

Bad idea for MT.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sam,

Corner crossing will happen long before there are bison back in the breaks. You can take that to the fuggin' bank. Corner crossing will be a ballot initiative next session, and the citizens will pass it, no doubt.

Right now, the reason there arent more elk in the breaks, is due to political reasons and an elk management plan that sucks. It needs to be revisited, and herd objectives need to based on biological things like carrying capacity, herd health, etc. rather than landowner tolerance.

The MTFWP and the elk in the breaks are victims of a crap plan and an out-of-control legislature that is pi$$ing on every elk and every sportsmen in the state of Montana.

Payback is a real bit ch...and there will be one.

I find nothing I like in having to be a negative arsehole and unwilling to compromise on these issues. But I hate it even more that Sportsmen have taken an absolute beating the last 25 years in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, etc. As much as I'd like to compromise, I've found that sportsmen, wildlife, public lands, and public access have been "compromised" right into the dirt via those that arent willing to compromise chit on their end...I'm over it.

I do feel badly for the landowners, outfitters, sportsmen, and associated groups that really are willing to find some middle ground.

Its all or nothing anymore...and thats sad. If thats how the game has to be played, I'll play it all day long.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BuzzH

Right now, the reason there arent more elk in the breaks, is due to political reasons and an elk management plan that sucks. It needs to be revisited, and herd objectives need to based on biological things like carrying capacity, herd health, etc. rather than landowner tolerance.

The MTFWP and the elk in the breaks are victims of a crap plan and an out-of-control legislature that is pi$$ing on every elk and every sportsmen in the state of Montana.

Payback is a real bit ch...and there will be one.

There is certainly plenty to eat out there, not at all sure what you're talking about. I have never once heard talk about too many elk. If anything I think the bow hunters wound a few more elk than anyone will ever acknowledge. Ranchers certainly aren't concerned with elk/deer competing for grass.

Payback for what?

I am honestly confused by your reply.

And as a side-note who hauled the elk back out to the north side of the lake way back when?

I've seen the pics out at an old place in those hills.

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/21/13.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sam,

Are you aware of the elk management plan?

Do you know the history of how and who had the influence over said plan?

Are you aware of the last 3 legislative sessions?

Its been a literal blood-bath for elk and a figurative one for sportsmen.

Sportsmen arent going to take that chit anymore...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
to be fair Buzz where Sam's family runs cows is on the very east end of the Breaks where elk are a lil thinner on the ground.....guessing we arent having the beotching by ranchers bout elk as some places more west....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Buzz must be talking about landowners over in the mountains?

Which makes perfect sense for a liberal.
Payback/punish the Breaks ranchers with buff because landowners hundreds of miles away pissed Buzz off.

I just looked at cow elk tags for 631 and 632(where they want to put the buff....).

I have saved all the old regs from 2005-2012.

2005 cow tags for 632 was 30.

2012 cow tags for 632 was 30.

Same number....

2005 cow tags for 631 was 120.

2012 cow tags for 631 was 100.

Way less cow tags now!

Where are the big landowner pushed increases?

Not here and this is why I'm confused.

Buzz, what hunting districts saw the big increase in tags?

It kinda reminds me of gun control. Some kook in NH goes nuts so the libs use it as an excuse to screw with everybody else.

Using buff as a threat/payback, whatever you want to call it, is extremely childish. Hard to imagine a grown adult would even think like that.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Elk management plan
I-151
Landowners shutting down block management to protest FWP
MOGA trying to nix Newberg's RMEF board position
Legislature killing corner crossing bill
Test and slaughter bill for elk

How many times do you think landowners can kick MT sportsman in the face without expecting reprecussions?

I'm all for any bison relocation. Much rather run in to them while out and about than angus.

Last edited by rl11; 02/22/13.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
But yeah, we're being childish about it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I�m not sure why the fencing thing is even an issue. If someone doesn�t want the Buff on their place THEY should build a fence to keep them out.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You going to pay for it?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Why do I have to pay for it? If the neighbors dog is chitting on my yard and I put up a fence to stop it, does the neighbor pay for it? Does the town? No.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would rather see free-range corner crossings.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would rather corner cross to go kill my free ranging buff grin

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by dinkshooter
Why do I have to pay for it? If the neighbors dog is chitting on my yard and I put up a fence to stop it, does the neighbor pay for it? Does the town? No.

What do you think the price difference is between fencing your 1/4 acre to keep fido out VS miles of buff proof fence is?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM
You going to pay for it?

Montana, like many western states, is a "fence out" state. Most of the state is "free range" with the exceptions of some urban and special use areas. If you don't want livestock on your land, whether they are privately or publicly owned, it is your responsibility to fence them out. If you don't have a fence and livestock wanders onto your property, you have no recourse in law against the owner(s).

A fair number of folks purchase land in these western states not realizing this. They often become indignant or even disbelieving when they find out that keeping the neighbor's livestock off their property is their responsibility. In New Mexico, where I live, if you harm an animal that wanders onto your property either intentionally or inadvertently, you are liable for damages. This applies to livestock that you may hit on the highway, too.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Exactly my point.

I do not know anything about the Montana plan but if they were looking at putting buffalo next to ground I owned I would be fighting it.

Page 5 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 79S, 1beaver_shooter, 16 invisible), 13,639 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,335
Posts18,546,247
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.