-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Thinking about jumping to DSLR. The camera will have to be an "all-around", to do scenery, zoom to distant critters, fast enough for sports, able to capture indoor sports, as well as the usual family and portrait type stuff. <$500?

Probably a kit?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
At $500, for all the things you mention, one of the fixed lens "superzoom" cameras might be a better option, particularly "zoom to distant critters." A DSLR is only as good as the lens you put in front of it, and an array of lenses suitable to all the varieties of photographs you mention would easily cost more than $500 alone.

Check out the Fuji XS-1: http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X-S1-Fuijinon-Telephoto-Ultra-Smooth/dp/B006T7QRN2

It's a bit over your budget but worth it, in my opinion, for the manual zoom. Most superzoom cameras only allow power zoom with control buttons; a manual zoom is much faster, and more intuitive, in my experience. There are similar models from many manufacturers in the same price range and they'll give you good image quality. Just as good as a DSLR with a "kit" lens.

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Is that a SLR?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
No, it is a fixed lens mirrorless camera.

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
That's what I thought it is. I have a Fuji that is very similar.

I'm aware that $500 won't buy all the lenses needed for all that I want to do. I'm looking for the starter, and will add lenses over time.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
What I'd do is look at whatever Canon or Nikon fits your price range. Those brands are very competitive with one another so their offerings in each range tend to be pretty close to one another in terms of specifications and capabilities. If you can, get your hands on one so you can be sure the buttons and controls handle well for you. I'm a Nikon guy, but you'd also be well served by a similar Canon. In my opinion, there isn't that much difference between the brands in the $500 price range, and the main reason I use a Nikon is that I have about a dozen manual focus Nikon lenses going back to the 1960s.

One other DSLR that I've been looking at lately is the Sony A57, which is at $499 for the body alone right now. What I like best about it is that it has an electronic viewfinder, so what you see in the viewfinder is exactly what you'll record with the sensor unlike a conventional DSLR that uses an optical viewfinder. I've been shooting with a Nikon V1 for the past month and am really liking the electronic viewfinder. The viewfinder on the A57 is also much larger than the viewfinders on other APS-C size DSLR's because the size of the finder is not limited by the size of the sensor.

Last edited by Oregon45; 02/23/13.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You might want to look at mirrorless, which have interchangeable lenses and do most of the things you mentioned within reason. Call Joel up at Camera Land NY and ask him about the Olympus EPM-2. They have been running a deal where you get $100 off the kit and you can add a lens with the equivalent length of 80-300mm for the $100 you saved. I shoot mirrorless and am very pleased with the results. I shoot the Sony system but I have played with the Olympus a lot and will pick one up this year. Make sure you let Joel know you are a member of the forum.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CameraLandTamronPhotAdv
You might want to look at mirrorless, which have interchangeable lenses and do most of the things you mentioned within reason. Call Joel up at Camera Land NY and ask him about the Olympus EPM-2. They have been running a deal where you get $100 off the kit and you can add a lens with the equivalent length of 80-300mm for the $100 you saved. I shoot mirrorless and am very pleased with the results. I shoot the Sony system but I have played with the Olympus a lot and will pick one up this year. Make sure you let Joel know you are a member of the forum.

Good advise...I use to have a Sony Nex system and it was amazing actually. Give them a serious look. Maybe look for a used one, which would be cheaper and allow you to get more for your dollar.

Rob
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't know anything about the mirorless cameras but seem to be pretty popular. Myself I'd look at refurbished bodies and after market len's. Would even think about used. $500 for a body and lens seem's hard to do.

I looked at a big N.Y. store and I found Nikon 3100 used w/18-055 lens for $359. Canon Rebel T3 used for $349. Add a new Sigma 70-300 for another $144.

Might check with Camera land to see if they can get close, match or beat these prices. Also check out refurbished.

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
What I'm trying to get at, and probably didn't ask correctly, is along the lines of body. I understand (correctly?) that certain types of bodies are better for different applications.

I'm not specializing on critter shots, but will take them. I'm not specializing on studio work, but will want to take family pics, etc. Savvy?

Maybe I should just get a Rebel and be done?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That's a good deal. Beach Camera has been around a long time.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's a fair deal, but of course for 24 hour members we always will do better.
We can do a similar deal with all of the included items for 565.00 shipped in the USA.
HOWEVER I would go with the Sony A37 with the 18-55 and 55-300 lens. The sony is a 16 MP camera vs 12 for the Canon.The Sony has built in image stabilization so every lens is stabilized. The one offered in that kit is not. It also has continuous tracking AF in both stills and video. The Canon is manual focus in video. The Sony shoots in 3D for stills and video, is 7 frames per second vs 3 and has sweep Panaorama. The same kit with the Sony would be 679.99 BUT the long zoom is stabilized and you have all these extra features.
Feel free to contact me with any questions

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Appreciate the info Joel.

I found a local deal on the Rebel T3 DSLR kit w/ 18-55 lens. Please PM what you have in stock and a price for that same unit, if you please.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by CameraLand
We can do a similar deal with all of the included items for 565.00 shipped in the USA.
HOWEVER I would go with the Sony A37 with the 18-55 and 55-300 lens. The sony is a 16 MP camera vs 12 for the Canon.The Sony has built in image stabilization so every lens is stabilized. The one offered in that kit is not. It also has continuous tracking AF in both stills and video. The Canon is manual focus in video. The Sony shoots in 3D for stills and video, is 7 frames per second vs 3 and has sweep Panaorama. The same kit with the Sony would be 679.99 BUT the long zoom is stabilized and you have all these extra features.

I keep hearing about how they will match or beat any price but I don't think of them when I actually do buy equipment. I'm working on it though. They sponsor here, Graybeard and Big Game Hunt that I know of. Sorry Joel, I'm working on it!

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
The Cameraland fellers try very hard to offer what 'fire members want and at competitive prices.

Joel PM'd a competitive offer, but I decided on the one here in town only because I have it in my hands right now.

Thanks, Joel.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CameraLand

if i was starting from scratch i would look hard at this for someone not extremely serious about photography, do like Canon for all the options in lenses like Sigma and Tamaron ect where Sony isnt as widely supported...but for most people 2 or 3 lenses will cover just about every needed base...

but we have had Canon for so long we just have continued going with them and have two 40D's at the moment.....and Cameraland is great to work with, last two lenses we bought new for the Canons we got from them....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
would like to change my above, looking through the newest Shutterbug magazine and the B&H ad in the back, there are a hell of alot more options for Sony now in the lens department than the last time i seriously looked, while not as many as Nikon or Canon there are more than enough options to keep most anyone happy....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
One nice thing about the Sony's, and the reason I'm going to buy an A58 when they come out in April, is they use an electronic viewfinder which not only shows 100% of the frame, but is also very close to the size of a full-frame optical viewfinder like the old professional film cameras and the very top end DSLR's from Nikon and Canon. The thing I've never liked about DSLR's has been the viewfinders: on the APS-C size sensors the optical finders are very small and dim and the full frame cameras are just too darn expensive.

Frankly, having used a Nikon V1 for about a month now with it's electronic viewfinder I'm a convert to them. They show exactly what you'll get from the sensor in terms of exposure, white balance and composition. You can also view images and navigate menus with your eye to the finder, which can come in handy at times.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by rattler
would like to change my above, looking through the newest Shutterbug magazine and the B&H ad in the back, there are a hell of alot more options for Sony now in the lens department than the last time i seriously looked, while not as many as Nikon or Canon there are more than enough options to keep most anyone happy....

Sony has been pretty good about bringing out new lenses. They also took over Minolta's lens line so the older Minolta auto-focus lenses will mount up to the A-series cameras. That said, with the exception of ultra-wide lenses (which always seem cool until you try to use them in the field) there's not much missing in Sony's lineup. I'd appreciate some less expensive prime telephotos, but if I feel the need for a 180 f/2.8 I'll bring out my old Nikon.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 15 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,778
Posts18,536,004
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.