Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
iddave Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I'm typing this from Wasilla, AK where I spent the day saying farewell to a mentor and friend that passed away last week.

He was my college roommate's father, and the first time I met him some 18 years ago it was like a real-life John Wayne had walked into our apartment.

He had a flat-top haircut until the day he died, ALWAYS wore Pendleton button-up shirts, liked Buweiser beer and Kenworth trucks with an equal and fervent passion.

He spent four years in the USMC, and was as much a well-mannered gentleman as he was a badazz. He once told me wife that she, "Kept a fine house". Coming from anyone else it might have sounded sexist or dated,...coming from John it was high praise and made her giggle with delight.

At 60 years of age he shot a grizzly bear that squared 9/12 feet and BARELY missed the all-time record book. He shot that bear without the aid of a guide on a fly-in/drop off trip in the interior of Alaske (his home state). He also packed the hide on that brute all by himself. He was 62 years old when he shot his last Dall sheep on a do-it-yourself trip. This man was tougher than a two dollar steak.

Every rifle he owned (all pre-64 Winchesters) were wood and blued, because he "wanted something pretty to look at while he waited for a bear or sheep to wander by".

He was cool without knowing it, and would have thought it was foolish I posted this thread.

My heart is broken tonight and I'm crying like a baby while I write this in the lobby of the Best Western. I don't give a chit because the world is without a damn fine man in his absence and he is worthy of every single tear.

If this message finds it's way to you my friend, thanks for all the sage advice and the many good times.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm very sorry. He sounds like a hell of a guy. You're blessed to have had such a friend.

Carpe' Scrotum
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Sorry to hear of your friends passing Prayers sent

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Dave,

I'm sorry for your loss. There are few words and none can replace the big guy. I'm sure your presence made quite a difference.

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry, Sir. Really Great people are rare. Sounds like he was one of them.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GodSpeed. May you hunt successfully for ever.

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Dave, sorry for the loss, but grateful that you knew such a man.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave, a very well written tribute and good bye. All of us hope to impact people in such as way as to be worthy of this kind of obituary. I am guessing the obit you just wrote beats the one in whatever newspapaers all to pieces.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prayers on the way

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Dave, what you just wrote tells us as much about you as it does about John. You are mourning the loss of a friend that embodied all those virtues that all men should possess; self-reliance, strength, courage, honor, fidelity, and compassion. That you value such things as worthy of reverence speaks to your character as well. My sympathy for your loss of a good and honored friend. From my experiences in this world, I can assure you that a reunion with all those such as John, lies ahead in a future as incomprehensible as it seems impossible. Mourn now, that is the proper expression of love and honor, only to rejoice at that future day. May the Lord bless and comfort you.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
sounds like one heck of a guy.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice tribute Dave. I think we would all love to be remembered in that way. Godspeed to a job on this earth well done John!

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Sounds like two guys had great friends. Condolences.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by iddave
I'm typing this from Wasilla, AK where I spent the day saying farewell to a mentor and friend that passed away last week.

He was my college roommate's father, and the first time I met him some 18 years ago it was like a real-life John Wayne had walked into our apartment.

He had a flat-top haircut until the day he died, ALWAYS wore Pendleton button-up shirts, liked Buweiser beer and Kenworth trucks with an equal and fervent passion.

He spent four years in the USMC, and was as much a well-mannered gentleman as he was a badazz. He once told me wife that she, "Kept a fine house". Coming from anyone else it might have sounded sexist or dated,...coming from John it was high praise and made her giggle with delight.

At 60 years of age he shot a grizzly bear that squared 9/12 feet and BARELY missed the all-time record book. He shot that bear without the aid of a guide on a fly-in/drop off trip in the interior of Alaske (his home state). He also packed the hide on that brute all by himself. He was 62 years old when he shot his last Dall sheep on a do-it-yourself trip. This man was tougher than a two dollar steak.

Every rifle he owned (all pre-64 Winchesters) were wood and blued, because he "wanted something pretty to look at while he waited for a bear or sheep to wander by".

He was cool without knowing it, and would have thought it was foolish I posted this thread.

My heart is broken tonight and I'm crying like a baby while I write this in the lobby of the Best Western. I don't give a chit because the world is without a damn fine man in his absence and he is worthy of every single tear.

If this message finds it's way to you my friend, thanks for all the sage advice and the many good times.

Had a Mentor like that as a kid . Made a huge impact on my life and made me appreciate great firearms. He moved overseas years ago to be close to his family in his waning years. I think about him often and laugh at all the memories .

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Condolences

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Condolences

+1

Its tough to find 'the real deal'.....and even tougher to lose it..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Condolences to friends and family and a hand salute to a fine gentleman.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My condolences to you, his family, and his friends.

It sounds like you were very blessed to have this man in your life.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice write up & tribute to your friend.......sounds like a helluva man.

My condolences & may he RIP.

MM

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
RIP to your mentor! This country needs a lot mote men like him!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,520
Posts18,491,029
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.