Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I should have my discharge papers in hand in 60 days, so then off to college. My question is where do you guys think it better to raise a young family? My wife's family moved to Georgia down to where i was last stationed. My family lives in eastern Iowa. we trying to decide on where to lay down the roots in either place or someplace in between? Really want o live some place where i can hunt and fish and have good opportunites......suggestions

GB4

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
East Texas.

So many good things about it!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you'll want to balance family and career. Career is the lynchpin...

Put your family first.

Do this by attaining and maintaining sufficient income and resources, while maintaining your relationships...

Got a career field mapped out?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pick a good small city or large town with a good college. They usually have good public schools and are somewhat more diverse in culture. We had a good four years in Manhattan, Kansas, where our kids were in elementary and middle schools. Lots of good hunting and fishing close by (but no cold-water fisheries to speak of). Both waterfowl and upland bird hunting and deer populations have boomed since I lived there. There are lots of similar situations throughout the country, depending on what you intend to study.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Having been an Oregonian my whole life, minus a brief stint in Alaska, I'd normally recommend it. Everything from ocean, rain forest, to desert. High country wet, high country dry, birds, bears, deer, elk, varmints. Economically, Oregon lost most of it's industry and now looks like a yuppie state anywhere west of the Cascade range. Portland controls the entire state politically, and we are divided. I love it geographically, and I think Oregon is economically a viable place to make a living. Choose the city you live wisely after lots of research. I could live most anywhere east of the Cascades and make it, but economically, better for most to stick to the west side. It doesn't feel like the Oregon I grew up in anymore, until you leave the roads and people behind and head into the bush. There's still quality here, but it is shrinking. My heart breaks for my state.

LOL
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Go West young man.

Montana or Wyoming.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
my wife has family in Wyoming and that is my first pick, however she is worried about leaving and going someplace with out close family to help with our 2 little girls. as of now it looking like iowa for a little while and at least there i still qualify as a resident so i will be able to catch up on some of the hunting i have been missing out on while in the military. and at this point just want to get someplace i can take my girls out to do things outside, my 2 yr old already steals my hunting mags to find the "Holy Catfish Daddy that a BIG Deer" pictures.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You could do much worse than Eastern Iowa. It's a great state with good hunting, especially for deer as you well know. Clean state, and good folks. My brother lives there.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
you could do worse than Iowa, but if school is the purpose, focus on that, and not on hunting. Get through school quickly and do it very well, THEN worry about where to live. Doing well in school while raising a family is not easy and you won't need too many distractions to add to that.

For now pick a place that optimizes raising those kids and doing the school work.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You may want to look at Southwest Virginia or Southeast Tennessee . Great schools, Virginia Tech in Virginia or UT in Tennessee . Hunting is great for Whitetail and Turkey. If you like fishing SE TN has some of the best lakes in the US.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Iowa State, baby!!! kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
looking to get in to a nursing program with the hope of being a flight/trauma nurse. was a welder before i joined the military and still have ASME certs up to date but want to get into something with a strong career field as we want to make sure my wife can stay home and raise our family.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by kwg020
Iowa State, baby!!! kwg

???????

dbf, looks like you need to line up the nursing schools and simply pick off the one or two that will best fit what you need.

Worry about the hunting later.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't underestimate the value of family close by. Especially in the current and upcoming economy.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Lots of good advice posted... Look for excellent schools for your kids, and locate where you are commuting distance to a decent size commercial center.

I once took a job in Minden, NV. Loved it! But when the job ran out, I had a heck of a time finding new work because I was way out in the sticks.

Wyoming is a great place. I wouldn't say that the wind blows hard or constantly, but when it stops, people fall over.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
my oldest girl is 2 and a half so got a little time before they will be in school. have several job opportunities from family friends who would work around a school schedule as well as a lot of helpful family. just waiting on the papers now so i can get on the road with my life. Want to raise a family away from a big city so as not to have the violence to worry about.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Eastern Iowa might be the best for you. Family, deer, turkey, trout and waterfowl. Not bad.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
well i guess im gonna have to get the old slug gun out and start practicing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Having been an Oregonian my whole life, minus a brief stint in Alaska, I'd normally recommend it. Everything from ocean, rain forest, to desert. High country wet, high country dry, birds, bears, deer, elk, varmints. Economically, Oregon lost most of it's industry and now looks like a yuppie state anywhere west of the Cascade range. Portland controls the entire state politically, and we are divided. I love it geographically, and I think Oregon is economically a viable place to make a living. Choose the city you live wisely after lots of research. I could live most anywhere east of the Cascades and make it, but economically, better for most to stick to the west side. It doesn't feel like the Oregon I grew up in anymore, until you leave the roads and people behind and head into the bush. There's still quality here, but it is shrinking. My heart breaks for my state.

I hear ya Fireball. I hear ya.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dbfuller0311
looking to get in to a nursing program with the hope of being a flight/trauma nurse. was a welder before i joined the military and still have ASME certs up to date but want to get into something with a strong career field as we want to make sure my wife can stay home and raise our family.

Here in East TN we have five Major Medical Centers within 20 miles of each other. College, East TN State University has the Physician School for Medical Doctor, Nursing School , Radiology, Respiratory, and Pharmacy School .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,219
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.