Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry, I got a little too wound up there for a second....grin

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I promise to stop inviting Dinkshooter to help you out. I'm quite sure the education would be wasted. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by toad
how many cattle graze the CMR wildlife refuge?

Less and less every year. Permits are getting turned in on a regular basis. Cost is getting high.

Cows(read grazing) are much easier to manage on the CMR than buff would ever be.

And if you are still thinking you'll be hunting buff in the Breaks, I highly doubt it. Maybe for 1-2 years before the big contributers get pissed.

Some moron was laughing at the stewards of land earlier.

Here's a pic, 2012 CMR, pasture where the cows lived for a month or two. Ranchers ruined it....Idiots.
[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Either they start teaching biology in school a whole lot sooner than I remember or that was a weak attempt to discredit an argument you disagree with.

And I did read the entire thread. It was pretty funny. And I did read the posts by Rancho about bison needing minerals in their pellets. But I think Dober's post wins because it looks like he is asking questions with a legitimate interest in the answers. Maybe I am wrong, but it looks like Dober was the one who came to this thread with the most open mind.

I personally would like to find out how they manage the bison in North Dakota, Utah and Arizona as I don't constantly hear about the problems from those states like you do in Montana. I suspect it is because those herds don't have brucellosis like the Yellowstone herd does, so there was less initial political opposition to them being established. But I don't really know.

Anything new is going to have problems at first. I don't think anybody on this thread has made light of that matter. Except maybe Dinkshooter in good fun. We might need to rethink the way in which we do fences in some areas. Mudhen wrote a while back that buffalo are perfectly able to jump fences, but that their calves can't which is why they bust through them. Maybe this could be used to our advantage in designing fences that allow bison calves through.

Besides fences is there any other issue that worries ranchers? It seems like that is the primary issue that is brought up. That seems more like an engineering and business practices issue than a biological issue.

And I don't think that landowners are phoning their politicians all of the time trying to push an agenda. But most Montanan's vote for people with an R next to their name, and the R's in Helena are not exactly wildlife friendly. There have been a lot of bad bills meddling with wildlife management introduced by these guys that should be left to the biologists. But these politicians will be able to come back and say they fought bison and "defended" private property rights. And there was the whole deal last fall where ranchers in NE Montana were trying to use hunters as a negotiation piece because they were upset with FWP. I think it is pretty clear why people like Buzz are a little more than livid with the present situation.

Four year old kids? I guess calling people [bleep] idiots for disagreeing with you is something that is beyond most four year olds.

Nels
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I thought I had some pics of the miles of buff fence Turner had to put up on the Ladder to keep them in but can't find them. Will get some pics next time I'm out near there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Hell if I know Toolelk. I guess they think 'landowners' are busy calling up politicians and trying to get shady chit passed.

I will admit, I don't follow political bullchit much and really dislike almost all politicians.

That is what pisses me off.
A bunch of guys from out of state bitching and howling about ranchers [bleep] hunters here in Montana. Jesus Christ, grown men acting like a bunch of [bleep]' 4 year old kids. You dumbphuckers think the average rancher is busy on the phone pushing this stupid ass corner crossing and similiar bullchit bills? Outfitting? I could give a [bleep] less.

Seriously?

You [bleep] idiots.

I feel better now....laughin'

I like this alot. I think i might make it my signature haha

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by LittleCanyonCreek
Either they start teaching biology in school a whole lot sooner than I remember or that was a weak attempt to discredit an argument you disagree with.

And I did read the entire thread. It was pretty funny. And I did read the posts by Rancho about bison needing minerals in their pellets. But I think Dober's post wins because it looks like he is asking questions with a legitimate interest in the answers. Maybe I am wrong, but it looks like Dober was the one who came to this thread with the most open mind.

I personally would like to find out how they manage the bison in North Dakota, Utah and Arizona as I don't constantly hear about the problems from those states like you do in Montana. I suspect it is because those herds don't have brucellosis like the Yellowstone herd does, so there was less initial political opposition to them being established. But I don't really know.

Anything new is going to have problems at first. I don't think anybody on this thread has made light of that matter. Except maybe Dinkshooter in good fun. We might need to rethink the way in which we do fences in some areas. Mudhen wrote a while back that buffalo are perfectly able to jump fences, but that their calves can't which is why they bust through them. Maybe this could be used to our advantage in designing fences that allow bison calves through.

Besides fences is there any other issue that worries ranchers? It seems like that is the primary issue that is brought up. That seems more like an engineering and business practices issue than a biological issue.

And I don't think that landowners are phoning their politicians all of the time trying to push an agenda. But most Montanan's vote for people with an R next to their name, and the R's in Helena are not exactly wildlife friendly. There have been a lot of bad bills meddling with wildlife management introduced by these guys that should be left to the biologists. But these politicians will be able to come back and say they fought bison and "defended" private property rights. And there was the whole deal last fall where ranchers in NE Montana were trying to use hunters as a negotiation piece because they were upset with FWP. I think it is pretty clear why people like Buzz are a little more than livid with the present situation.

Four year old kids? I guess calling people [bleep] idiots for disagreeing with you is something that is beyond most four year olds.

First of all it was Rancho who was talking about Ted's well fed herd.

Buzz was talking about buff craving mineral.

Go back and reread it.

Cattle require alot less fence than buff and cattle are only out in the hills for maybe 6 months a year. Buff will need way more fence and will be out there 24/7/365. We have been operating on a rest rotation grazing system for years and the range is actually in pretty good shape. You add buff and it will not benefit deer,elk or antelope.

There is also this large body of water called Fort Peck Reservoir, it borders the CMR. You gonna fence off the lake when the buff head south?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SLM
I thought I had some pics of the miles of buff fence Turner had to put up on the Ladder to keep them in but can't find them. Will get some pics next time I'm out near there.

SLM, that would be interesting.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dude, sorry about the rant....grin

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Here's a pic, 2012 CMR, pasture where the cows lived for a month or two. Ranchers ruined it....Idiots.
[Linked Image]

Looks like fantastic Buff feed to me. Better not let the "Greeny" Buff advocate groups get a hold of that picture, they might use it in their brochures.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Less and less every year. Permits are getting turned in on a regular basis. Cost is getting high.

Perfect, sounds like the natural transition there is to add Buff instead of cattle.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
They have the big tall fences around Teddy Roosevelt, same as in Custer State Park and Wind Cave in SD. Not much of any trouble with them getting out that I know of. When they overpopulate, they round them up and sell some off. You can also get a tag to shoot one in Custer State Park.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by LittleCanyonCreek
I personally would like to find out how they manage the bison in North Dakota, Utah and Arizona as I don't constantly hear about the problems from those states like you do in Montana. I suspect it is because those herds don't have brucellosis like the Yellowstone herd does.

The Utah bison herds work because of isolation, The henry mountains are surrounded by desert which keeps them pretty close to the mountain range, which is 90% or more public land.There is constant complaining by public land grazers on the henrys,but for the most part things work out for both land users (hunters and ranchers).

A friends Henrys buff, killed at 10,200FT.And no, there isnt a road up there..
[Linked Image]

The bookcliffs herd is somewhat different and is sometimes kept in check via depredation hunts, those take place in the winter when the green river freezes and the buff migrate across it into private lands. It usually takes a pretty hard winter to have to resort to depredation hunts..But thats how it is dealt with.

There is a huge difference between where the utah bison are, and the breaks country of eastern Montana.if the breaks were in Utah, I could assure you there would never be bison there..

I dont think bison in the breaks is a good idea.I can understand both sides of the argument, but I think most realize if it happened it would be a huge cluster [bleep].

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Finally, someone who understands the Henry Mountains island range surrounded by rock canyons "free range."
Yet you constantly hear specious comparisons, by MWF no less, about the trouble free Henries herd.
MWF is about the most two-faced, hypocritical misguided morons around. Kirk MacKenzie is probably still wondering what hit him

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Dave Skinner,

I can see why you hate MWF...they're a very successful pro-hunting, pro-access group.

They tackle the big issues and get it done...like opening up 5.2 millions acres of State Land to hunting.

They also tackled and have successfully defended the Stream Access Law in Montana as well.

When corner crossing is passed at the next legislative session, another 900,000+ acres of public land will be open to the hunting public. MWF will be there, as per usual, quietly but effectively getting it done for the sportsmen of Montana.

Thats what they've been doing for a very, very, very long time in Montana.

Theres a reason why nearly every significant Sportsmens Groups all across Montana are affiliate members of MWF...that isnt by accident.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Buzz,

Obviously, you consider Safari Club International, Mule Deer Foundation, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, Sportsmen for Fish & Wildlife, National Wild Turkey Federation, Montana Outfitters & Guides Association, Wild Sheep Foundation, etc. as insignificant. MWF affliates are actually leaving.

How about a summit of all the pro-hunting groups in an effort to find some common ground? The last so called "summit" turned into a political forum with MWF pulling the strings. Invite the stockgrowers, MOGA and the other stake holders - make a sincere effort to hear all sides.

Back on topic - free ranging bison is just another tool in the bag of the anti-hunting community.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Toolelk,

I'll start another topic on your list of groups and questions later today...cant do it right now.

Let your education begin...as you are about to be schooled.

Stay tuned.

I CANT believe you actually took the bait...

Last edited by BuzzH; 02/25/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An update on the MT legislature and bison (too long to post here):

http://www.ravallirepublic.com/news...0bcac10-7c13-52fc-a3a0-2fe05d84aa5f.html

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Buzz,

I look forward to the education - never too old to learn. I hope you will also address the question of I-161 - just who won on that one? Is it a dream to put all stakeholders in one room?

I am tuned....

Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,231 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,764
Posts18,495,621
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.