Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/health-dept-homeless-cant-eat-deer-meat.html

By Todd Starnes

Hunters across Louisiana are outraged after state health officials ordered a rescue mission to destroy $8,000 worth of deer meat because venison is not allowed to be served in homeless shelters.

FOLLOW TODD ON FACEBOOK FOR CULTURE WAR NEWS. CLICK HERE TO JOIN!

The Dept. of Health and Hospitals ordered the staff at the Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission to throw 1,600 pounds of donated venison in garbage bins � and then ordered then to douse the meat with Clorox � so other animals would not eat the meat.

�Deer meat is not permitted to be served in a shelter, restaurant or any other public eating establishment in Louisiana,� said a Health Dept. official in an email to Fox News. �While we applaud the good intentions of the hunters who donated this meat, we must protect the people who eat at the Rescue Mission, and we cannot allow a potentially serious health threat to endanger the public.�

That statement set off a firestorm among hunters and lawmakers who called it outrageous and insulting.

�That�s a mild understatement,� said Richard Campbell, one of the founders of Hunters for the Hungry, a group that has been donating wild game to shelters since 1993. �Hunters are going nuts over it. It�s created an outrage across our state and even over into Mississippi.�

The controversy started when someone being fed at the rescue mission complained about being fed deer meat.

Henry Martin, executive director of the mission, told Fox News they�ve been serving deer meat for years � from deer chili to deer spaghetti.

�This was really good meat,� he said. �It�s high in protein and low in cholesterol. It�s very healthy.�

Martin said he was extremely bothered by the way state health inspectors handled the situation.

�You would think we would have due process,� he said. �But they meant to destroy the meat � that�s for sure.�

The mission�s chef asked if they could at least return the meat to the processing plant � but the state officials said no.

�They actually took it out to the dumpsters, split the packages open and poured Clorox on it,� Martin told Fox News.

He said the rescue mission serves 200,000 meals a year � without a single dime of assistance from the state or federal governments. As a result of the confiscation, he said as many as 3,200 meals were lost.

�It seems like this was a senseless act,� he said. �I don�t think hungry people who come to our mission appreciate the fact they could have been eating some really good venison and as it is now � no one can eat it.�

The Health Dept. defended their actions and said they had to pour Clorox on the meat as an �extra precaution so that animals would not eat it from the dumpster and become sick or die.�

�This is a process called �denaturing,�� they stated.

Campbell said the venison comes from deer management programs � where hunters have to kill a lot of deer.

�We ask our hunters once they fill up their own freezers to give the extra to the needy,� he said.

Once the deer is donated, a local processing plant prepares the meat for the shelters.

And hunters in the Sportsman�s Paradise have always responded to the call � including State Rep. Jeff Thompson.

�As a hunter and somebody who has personally donated deer to this program, I�m outraged and very concerned,� he told Fox News. �You hear about these stories anywhere and it�s a concern � but when it happens in your own backyard it�s insulting.�

Thompson said he is meeting with the heads of state agencies as well as state lawmakers to make sure the rules are changed.

�We take pride in helping our neighbors and to see thousands of dollars worth of meat that would help the hungry go to waste is absolutely disturbing to me,� he said.

Thompson said at the very least the meat should have been returned to those who donated it.

�We want to make sure the generosity of hunters and processors are honored and the hungry are provided with the food they are very much in need of,� the lawmaker added.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[bleep] sickening, and sad!

FJB & FJT
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
insanity

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The Department of Health and Hospitals obviously never went to bed hungry.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Unbelievable. Should prosecute that gov. official for "wanton waste" like is stated in all of our game laws! What a waste...

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They should be prosecuted for wanton waste!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Adirondackbushwhack
insanity = typical gov't stupidity..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The controversy started when someone being fed at the rescue mission complained about being fed deer meat.

Tell him starve or go catch rats then show him the door.
It ain't fricken Burger King.

Have it your way?
No.
Eat what your served and be glad or GTFO.

Last edited by Archerhunter; 02/25/13.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
�Deer meat is not permitted to be served in a shelter, restaurant or any other public eating establishment in Louisiana,� said a Health Dept. official in an email to Fox News.

Would be real nice to know the name and contact info for this person.

It would also be nice to know who overseas this agency. They need to come under some pressure.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In Florida, you can not legally give away deer or hog meat unless YOU pay for it to be inspected.
When they passed that law, it totally cut out donations to the poor, the homeless, the needy.

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Let em die... part of the natural selection process.

Tell the libtards that killed to program to GFY as well.

No good deed goes unpunished...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"The controversy started when someone being fed at the rescue mission complained about being fed deer meat."

Free food and they still complained!

Stupid [bleep] all of 'em.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Reminds me of my worthless drugged out Aunt. My uncle had a spare house that he let her live in. One day he went out and bought a new TV, since he didn't need his old one anymore, (which was in perfectly good condition) he took it over to her house and gave it to her.

Instead of thanking him she said something to the effect of, I see how it is, you get a new TV and I get your old one. I guess I am only good enough for every ones leftovers.

He took the TV back and threw it away, and started the proceedings to get her moved out of the house. Seems some people are too stupid to know not to bite the hand that feeds them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would love to say that this is unbelievable...but it's not.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like the part of the article that states the meat will make animals sick or die.

While I disagree with feeding lazy turds through tax dollars or through private means as it encourages continuation of the behavior I can't see throwing away perfectly good protein. Donating meat to an individual is one thing but donating it, preparing it and doing the dishes for some lazy scumbag is irresponsible to man kind.

Can't make it on you own, do the world a favor and die.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only the choicest cuts of grain fed USDA Angus beef and pork for our "Entitled Ones"

I have said for years that 'needy people' are the most well fed people out there.

I have yet to see a group of hood rats in a
grocery store fret over comparing prices, shopping for value, using coupons, etc. No, [bleep] no. They just grab and heave a dozen packs of poakchops and ribeyes and toss em in the cart while their little [bleep] rugrats cry about fruity pebbles.

[bleep] em

I have not donated a deer to HFTH in over 10 years. I give mine extra to persons I know, that truly appreciate it. They might not always bring my grinder back in a timely manner, but I know who is enjoying the fruits of my labor.

to hell with a bunch of winos and scratch off lottery losers

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ahh...government at work. Some low-level dipwad in the Health Inspection department finally got to flex his muscle and show someone who's in charge.
His life is complete now, he has achieved nirvana for a government hack, he has exercised nonsensical CONTROL wrapped in stupidity.

Now he can die.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Screw the meek right in their meek hole. I've never been a fan of giving [bleep] to homeless shelters.

There are other ways to get deer meat to good, honest, people that are having a tough time making it.

Homeless shelters are another example of coddling the meek, which always does wonders for our society.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
edit: Although I'm not a Boococky fan, I appreciate this topic being posted.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While going to school in TX I had a collection permit for deer and we killed from between 4-10 deer a night for several months and donated them to the local food bank. Then they said they had to stop taking deer because their "customers" didn't want to eat deer either.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, AdventureBound, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,698 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,456
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.