Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by E Blair
Originally Posted by RGK
Here's an early '80's 700 BDL in 7mm Mag. It's been pillared, glassed and floated. Trigger has been set at 3.5 lbs and I've replaced the aluminum bottom metal with steel. I mounted a Leupold scope in Talley rings. It's a great shooter and looks pretty good, too. I wouldn't do that to a Savage.
Bob

[Linked Image]

That is a great looking rifle! I know the 700 action is the base for the old military sniper rifle as well as many benchrest and target rifles. Thanks for that photo.

My Dad is an ex USMC Scout Sniper, he once told me that one of the armorers told him that they use 700s 'cause the government is too cheap to buy 'em model 70s.

Last edited by CowboyTim; 02/25/13.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
That does sound like a decision the government would make. lol good times.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Originally Posted by RGK
Here's an early '80's 700 BDL in 7mm Mag. It's been pillared, glassed and floated. Trigger has been set at 3.5 lbs and I've replaced the aluminum bottom metal with steel. I mounted a Leupold scope in Talley rings. It's a great shooter and looks pretty good, too. I wouldn't do that to a Savage.
Bob

[Linked Image]

That is a great looking rifle! I know the 700 action is the base for the old military sniper rifle as well as many benchrest and target rifles. Thanks for that photo.

My Dad is an ex USMC Scout Sniper, he once told me that one of the armorers told him that they use 700s 'cause the government is too cheap to buy 'em model 70s.

That's all fine and dandy, except for the fact that Marines used Winchester Model 70s for sniper rifles.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Easy choice, Get the new Remington with the barrel nut!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

[Linked Image]

Ha ha ha that's some funny chit right there.... laugh..Probably true too... wink.....Should have seen the guy shooting my 9.3x62mm yesterday...He was ready to turn his nose up to his remingtons...I knew you of all people would understand grin...Just something about shooting that 1 1/4" group (5 shot) from the sitting position that won him over whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I love the Chevy vs. ford question

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends. If I wanted an "out of the boxer" shooter that was a good value for my money, it's Savage. If I wanted a gun I might customize down the road, it's Remington. Both answers to me are "no brainers". These days you have to spend a lot of money to get a really good Remington. They are not the "value" they use to be. Not even close. I have only ever purchased these two brands of guns and the Savages won't win a beauty contest but they ALL shoot. My last Remington cost $1150 and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. To make matter worse, Remington C/S didn't care. It was the last Remington I will ever buy. Having said that though, I recently bought a Savage and it is crazy accurate AND I have just built two custom rifles, both Remington clones.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I would take a Savage American Classic over any Remington.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Swampman700
The new Remingtons look and shoot great to me. I wouldn't own a Savage.

Did the Old Remingtons look like crap and shoot like chitt?

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a general rule, I'd rather play the Remington lottery than buy a Savage. Two exceptions: 6.5x284 Long Range Hunter, and the HS Precision model .338 Lapua Savages. Probably the Savage might shoot better, but I can't get past the looks.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by KDK
As a general rule, I'd rather play the Remington lottery than buy a Savage. Two exceptions: 6.5x284 Long Range Hunter, and the HS Precision model .338 Lapua Savages. Probably the Savage might shoot better, but I can't get past the looks.
Aw heck, whats wrong with a barrel nut? other than it looks like something My neighbor put together in his shed or My boy made in 9th grade shop class...Lol.................Hb

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually, it's not even the barrel nut. The back of the receiver is cut too square for my tastes.

But the nut sure don't help any...

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard for anyone to say this Savage is ugly.

[Linked Image]

I hate me the barrel nut and the little lever in the Accutrigger but I've spent more time and money customizing Savage actions than any other.
My present Savage build is going to rival any SS/synthetic factory based custom I've seen. Nutless of course and light weight.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you were able to get your hands on stainless LH 700's, would you still have bought the Savage?

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nsaqam

[Linked Image]

I hate me the barrel nut and the little lever in the Accutrigger but I've spent more time and money customizing Savage actions than any other.
My present Savage build is going to rival any SS/synthetic factory based custom I've seen. Nutless of course and light weight.

That's a beauty K...All except for that accutrigger thingamagigy sick

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

[Linked Image]

Where did you get that stock nsaqam? It's beautifully proportioned to your Savage!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Savage or Tikka.........or Sako

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sorry if I left the impression that this was my Savage. It's not. I just stole the picture from Google Images.
It is however a picture of what is purportedly a stock, factory Savage 14 American Classic.
Savages, at least some of them, can be very good looking rifles.

Except for that Accutrigger thingamajiggy!

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
If you were able to get your hands on stainless LH 700's, would you still have bought the Savage?

Maybe and maybe not. If I could get a SS 700 donor for the same price as a SS Savage donor I may just go the 700 route.

There are however things about the Savage design which I prefer over the 700 design.
Gas handling is one, with the 110 being unparalleled in that regard. I also prefer the three position tang mounted safety on the 110 to all others. The easy and cheap boltface changes on the 110 are also to be commended.
Last but not least is the affinity I feel towards Nick Brewer and Savage for thinking about us lefties since the inception of the design.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm sorry if I left the impression that this was my Savage. It's not. I just stole the picture from Google Images.
It is however a picture of what is purportedly a stock, factory Savage 14 American Classic.
Savages, at least some of them, can be very good looking rifles.

Except for that Accutrigger thingamajiggy!

For once we agree on something grin..However, I was hoping that was your rifle so you'd quit giving me a hard time about owning right handed rifles laugh blush

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,570
Posts18,473,264
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.