-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
To all of the loonies present I need not explain my desire. Simply put, I have a fixation for the dogleg bolt. Plus a general like of older Remington actions.

While I have mechanical aptitude, the gunsmithing aspect is lacking on my part. Couple this with not having a Rem SA700 and Rem 600 in front of me to compare, it's difficult to see what needs to be done.

Basically take a Rem 600 action, retube @ 20" in 7mm-08. Get an un-inletted mickey edge and send to Chad Dixon for precision mill work / bedding.

1. Replacing the safety latch (Can I just drop an old Rem 700 flat style saftey latch in?) I know aftermarket triggers are made by Basix and Timney. Safety latch included with these?

EDIT Jsut checked brownells again, seems the timney trigger comes with another safety latch grin

2. Dropping in an ADL type Rem700 bottom metal. IIRC the screws for each bottom metal are different by quite a bit. (Would it just be cheaper to buy correct steel/aluminum bottom metal and live with the different look? )

Appreciate any input on the odd subject above.

Last edited by George_in_SD; 02/20/13.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
George,

The 600 action only has one screw holding it in the stock.

I put together a 25-284 on a 600 action with McMillan stock. Used the one screw to hold it together. Looked odd, but it worked.

Virgil B.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
George,

????

As this diagram shows, the 600 has two screws holding it in the stock, a thick one in front and a thinner one in the rear (parts 16 and 22).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine must have been and early one ?

Only had one screw holding the stock in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK,

My bad, now I remember..I used an ADL, McMillan stock with no floorplate, and there is only one mounting hole because if this setup.

Virgil B.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one in a MPI, I don't know if they still make the stock but I re-used the factory floor plate. Not pretty but functional.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just have the bolt handle replaced on any 700 bolt with a dog leg one

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
How well did the ADL tg stay in? I've read about others using epoxy to hold them in while only using 1 trigger guard screw.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hollands makes an ADL 700 guard with only the rear screw hole. Of course, that rear hole is for a standard diameter 700 rear screw (1/4"?). The rear tang of a 600 can supposedly be tapped to accept the 700 screw, as I've seen pictures here. Then you have a clean install with no extra holes and a better rear screw situation to boot. I've all these parts myself, but have not boxed them up yet to mail to my smith. Going with a 20" standard 700 sporter stainless 7mm-08 take-off barrel and lug for mine, along with an Edge M7KS handle inletted for the same. Rear bridge will be drilled for a second scope-base hole, like a M7. Mock-up makes me think that all should work fine, provided I get off my butt and send my stuff out for 'smithing. (grin)

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
To all of the loonies present I need not explain my desire. Simply put, I have a fixation for the dogleg bolt. Plus a general like of older Remington actions.

While I have mechanical aptitude, the gunsmithing aspect is lacking on my part. Couple this with not having a Rem SA700 and Rem 600 in front of me to compare, it's difficult to see what needs to be done.

Basically take a Rem 600 action, retube @ 20" in 7mm-08. Get an un-inletted mickey edge and send to Chad Dixon for precision mill work / bedding.

1. Replacing the safety latch (Can I just drop an old Rem 700 flat style saftey latch in?) I know aftermarket triggers are made by Basix and Timney. Safety latch included with these?

EDIT Jsut checked brownells again, seems the timney trigger comes with another safety latch grin

2. Dropping in an ADL type Rem700 bottom metal. IIRC the screws for each bottom metal are different by quite a bit. (Would it just be cheaper to buy correct steel/aluminum bottom metal and live with the different look? )

Appreciate any input on the odd subject above.

George,

You thoughtful project is far less complicated than you might think. 1st and foremost, the M-600 and M-660 actions are identical. (As well as the "Mohawk" 600...) Re the Micky stock: When you order your stock, just tell them what contour barrel you have. If you use a Remignton Mtn Rifle contour, I believe that is the same as the original M-600. If you use a std Remington barrel contour, that is the same as the M-660 or Mohawk. Or if you use an aftermarket barrel just tell them: for example: Douglas #1. They will want to know what the shank length is, so don't forget to include that.

They can come VERY close to a drop-in fit. After that, merely glass bed it and you are good-to-go. If you want the factory bottom floor plate just specify that, If you want to use an ADL trigger guard, tell them so. Also, ADL trigger guards are available directly from them.

You can also choose from several different styles of stocks... i.e: Remington M-Seven, Remington M-700 Mtn Rifle... etc. I purchased a Rem M-Seven style, and had it set up for a blind mag and ADL trigger guard for my original M-600 in 6mm... Made it into a VERY nice rifle. (Other than, I'm not wild about the 18.5" bbl...) I ordered mine thru Rick Bin here at the 24 HCF.... No complaints whatsoever...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Excellent feedback good sir. I was not aware they inletted so closely to a M600.
I'm about to order a mickey for a LA build; perhaps I should just double down ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The one screw set up seemed to work just fine,

Had a local 'smith glass bed it,

I shot the best 5 shot group at 100 yards, of my lifetime with this rifle.

.125" for 5

Virgil B.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The one screw ADL flate, with a bored out hole + epoxy seems rock solid enough for me. Can't see anything coming undone with that.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
George,

I'm not real sure how, but I believe my 'smith either D&T'd the bottom of the magazine or welded a nut on it for the forward trigger-guard screw. At any rate, it looks right cosmetically whether it serves as any function or not.

I ordered the M-Seven style because I like the schnable fore-end. It looks good with the lwt barrel...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
George,

I put together a 25-284 on a 600 action with McMillan stock. Used the one screw to hold it together. Looked odd, but it worked.

Virgil B.

You better pull your action and have another look. The 600 takes 2 screws. And leave the dog leg bolt handle in place, that is what gives the 600 and 660's their appeal.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The dogleg did serve a purpose as well; it kept your knuckles from hitting the bolt handle during recoil. Plus it fits in a saddle scabbard quite nicely.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
My dad gave me his 600 Mohawk in .308 for my birthday. It's got typical 600 issues like a warped floorplate.

The original stock is so dry that the front swivel pulled out.

I talked to Manners of Manners stocks years ago and he is an owner of several 600s (IIRC) and said he'd be glad to inlet any of his stocks for a 600 action.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My Grandson's 600. Drilled out the tang screw and tapped it 1/4".

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I rebuilt a 600 a couple of years ago it had gone thru a house fire
it didn't get hot but it got wet and wasn't cleaned well when recovered and the chamber had rusted bad . it was a 222 I found a used 700 barrel in 222 and after a little playing around I got it indexed and head spaced.it was a great little shooter
now a had bought a new floor plate for it that was cnc machined from aluminum ..located it on gun broker if I remember right this is a real nice upgrade over those plastic ones.
don't forget the xp100 action is the same thing too

plab

Gotta love them 303's
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I own a 660 and really like the design (except for the stock) and I have a friend who has a 600 and he loves his. Both rifles shoot well. I love the standard two position safety that locks the bolt. The shape of the safety button is different between his 600 and my 660 and I prefer my safety. The trigger on my rifle is good, but not excellent. I like the dogleg bolt-I have had to rack the bolt quickly a couple of times in the field and it has been no issue at all. The feed is very smooth. Most(?) of these rifles have only one scope mounting hole on the rear receiver bridge and I elected to use a one-piece scope mount for that reason.

My rifle has two action screws of different diameter (As Malm stated). Replacement aluminum or steel trigger guard/floor plates of the correct type are readily available.

I am going to purchase an earlier BDL stock and try inletting and glass bed it with pillars for my 660. I have been warned that this may not be a good idea, but I believe I can make it work and look good too.

Good luck and enjoy!

Brian

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (Algotguns, Akhutr, beefan, 358wsm, 2500HD, 12 invisible), 1,392 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.