-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You're on a roll! Excellent read, cuts through all the myth and nonsense, and gets back down to earth on inherent limitations of rifles and ammo! And I even learned a few things, too! Cheers!

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
i even subscribed to the mag electronically and paid like $19 to do so since this issue wasn't in my local stores. might be the most someone had paid for one article lol

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
and that's even after i read "obsessions of a rifle looney" and you made me spend $1200 on a custom mauser .257 Roberts. well that might have been my fault too. a little.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I enjoyed the article..usual good stuff by Johnny B. smile

I shot two light sporters yesterday at 100 yards (a 30/06 and a 7 Rem Mag)while getting them zeroed,and fired a 3 shot group for each as time ran out...they were both just like those described in John's article...two close and one about 3/4" away.

My scientist pal smiled and said that 3 shot groups were statistically inadequate...I said I knew, but that I was likely statistically inadequate myself.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree also. great read.

IC B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I am reading JB's book "Rifle Trouble-Shooting and Handloading". Excellent book; I highly recommend it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
sirr springer,

Thanks!--both to you and the others.

The story actually started out as a collection of strange range experiences, but after my editor read it, he suggested splitting it up into three articles. Two more will be showing up over the next year, one on rifle rests and one on sighting-in.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My scientist pal smiled and said that 3 shot groups were statistically inadequate

I agree. Out of curiosity though, how many shots would it take to comprise a statistically valid group?

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
seems like a magazine did that study and i think they said 7

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I want to know how "Jasper" solved the problem of various uninvited strangers coming to his place to shoot. What ever happened there?

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mar336
My scientist pal smiled and said that 3 shot groups were statistically inadequate

I agree. Out of curiosity though, how many shots would it take to comprise a statistically valid group?

MAR336:That was the rest of the conversation....although it didn't last too long.He opinied that 10 shots is still best....I might do that once in the life of a hunting rifle.

I'd rather spend the time watching cold bore 3 shot groups,at distance...I ain't into Fclass or high volume target shooting...if I have to go beyond 3 on a BG animal it has not been a very good day.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Right on Bob. Give me a rifle that puts the first shot from a cold bore into 1.5" over and over and over under varying conditions and I am golden.

It can be somewhat of a shock to learn just how few rifles (or is it riflemen?) there are that can pull it off.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Mar336

Allen Jones, former ballistics engineer for Speer and now columnist at Shooting Times states that a 7 shot group is the practical minimum for statistical validity.

Last edited by BuckeyeSpecial; 03/01/13.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
pabucktail,

Jasper put up a sign in his driveway saying, "Call first before shooting," with the phone number. I am one exception to the rule.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
That works I guess. I really felt for they guy when I read that. Reminds me of a couple hunting spots I've had spoiled due to "friends" I showed a spot to running their mouths.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep! I've seen that too.

I once published a hunting article entitled "Secret Spots," and said the most basic rule of keeping secret spots secret is not telling ANYBODY. I haven't made that mistake in a number of years.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really enjoyed "One Hole Wonders" and have experienced many a humorous hour listing to "rifle experts" at local ranges tell me how "Old Betsy" shot 'em all in the same hole only to see their target later with a shotgunlike pattern. LOL

I have also witnessed people turning their reticle adjustments every shot for hours and finally getting one in the bullseye and packing up and calling it perfect... wink

I've owned a very few rifles in my 50+ yrs of shooting that would shoot 10 shot groups of less than 1" even with very carefully handloaded ammo. VERY FEW and changing something like different lots of powder, bullets, or primers etc. could leave one with that helpless feeling and a group that looked more like a random affiliation.

I guess I've retreated to 5 shot groups to try to maintain a degree of sanity and would NEVER admit to only shooting 3 shot groups for hunting rifles intended for less than 200yd shots. wink

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Totally agree with BobinNH and efw..... between todays rifles and ammo, the rifle will likely out-shoot the person behind it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by pabucktail
That works I guess. I really felt for they guy when I read that. Reminds me of a couple hunting spots I've had spoiled due to "friends" I showed a spot to running their mouths.

It's true for non-game hunting spots, too-
When I was in college, enrolled in the Geology curriculum, a friend and I came across a fossil locality that was loaded with shark and crocodile teeth. We collected a hundred or so, and then made the mistake of showing them to our paleontology prof.
He then weaseled the location out of my friend. I visited the site a few years later, only to find it completely mined out.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,633
Posts18,474,369
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.