Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#7485790 02/25/13
Kenneth Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Who own's this pack, What are the advantages to the Beavertail (flap?) on this pack?

Too big for a daypack?

Good for 2 nights?

Lets compare the Dragonslayer to the Bighorn.

Talk to me.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Kenneth, I have used one for 3 seasons. Not alot of use but have hauled out 2 deer and an antelope(boned out meat/skull and horns).

I think it's perfect for a day hunts, never stay overnight though so I can't comment on that.

Roughly guessing on the deer packouts that total pack weight was 80lbs(?).

I like the beavertail for holding the skull, the two side pockets work great for a tripod and spotter.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kenneth Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Samo, did I ever mention how I like the professionalism of your palmswell? smile

get her done buddy....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think Dobrenski coined it redneck palmswell. Switched stocks last year but I saved the old swell and retaped it to the new stock....grin

I think you will like the BH but my pack knowledge is really limited. I do know that it is a significant improvement over a BL 2200(IMHO).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been using a Dragonslayer for 3-4 years now. Mainly gets used as a day or short trip pack. I like it a lot, but doing it again I'd go for the Bighorn. More CI, function of the beavertail, and (especially in the old models) better load hauling are pluses for the BH over the DS, IMO.

The MR tri-zip design is a winner on either pack though!

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never used mine for hunting but I like it for skiing and day hikes when I need more gear than normal. The beaver tail is one of the best features. I wish I had it on my other day packs. I also love the tri-zip design and the slot/water bottle pockets.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used mine for 4 nighters a few times. It's a great pack that is perfect as a day pack and a little on the small side for any extended BP hunts. I bought all my gear after I bought the Bighorn so I have basically ended up with mostly UL stuff. The beaver tail is a great feature for sure. One of my favorite things about the pack. The design of it with the plastic wings really holds stuff well. The only thing I don't like about the pack is that the beaver tail kinda slows you down getting into the pack. Sort of makes the 3-zip convenience moot.

I should also mention I don't carry a spotter. I can't really compare it to the Dragon Slayer because I've not owned one. I've had mine for two seasons and have spent a ton of time with it on my back. I really do like it. If I was to start over, I'd be looking at the Kifaru Bikini frame. Looks to be lighter and more versatile. It's also more money, but know that I have been BP hunting, I know how much I like it and hope to be doing it until I can't any longer.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love my Big Horn. I think its the right size for a day pack and in warmer weather would make a good 2-3 day pack. I like the beaver tail (stik it pocket). It gives you a place to put a bulky layer. Often I'll put my CamelBak Ambush there so I don't take up as much room in the pack. At least for me the load lifters on the Big Horn work like they're suppose to. I don't see that happening with the Dragon Slayer. I'd rather have the pack a little larger like the Big Horn is because it gives me more options of what I can do with the pack. I have even used my Big Horn as a carry on before during one of the few times I'll fly.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The Bighorn is a good size daypack and still big enough to use as a weekend overnight pack. The beaver tail is awesome. I have carried all my trash out of the backcountry in the beaver tail. It was nice not to have to put it in my pack. Also a great way to carry your bow, it fits perfectly and you can really cinch it up tight while protecting you bottom limb. Also great for snowshoes,jackets, and water bottles. It is probably the best feature on the pack.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by remington79
At least for me the load lifters on the Big Horn work like they're suppose to. I don't see that happening with the Dragon Slayer.

DS and Bighorn use the same frame now, the load lifters should function identically.

I went back and forth between the two and ended up going with the Dragonslayer, mainly because I already have a big pack for multi day trips. I've used it a couple years now and have no complaints.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's good to hear about the packs. When I bought mine a few years ago it looked like the Big Horn was taller at that time. As for size I like the size of the Big Horn, it gives me more options. But then again even on a day hike I like to bring stuff in case I have to spend the night out in the woods.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.