Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I wanting to give Antelope a try this year. I'm going to enter for the draw. I have no preference points. I could care less if its for a buck or doe. What hunt areas should I apply for? I would like a decent chance to take something. I guess I would be looking for some public land or something with low or non-existent trespass fees.

NRA Benefactor Member
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am attempting to put together a DIY Wyoming hunt and can help you a bit. But the most disparaging point will be the lack of access, the lack of access to private land. Looking at maps you'll see LOTS of public land but there is very little public access. You'll want to speak with the local wardens, biologist, BLM agents, etc. to learn where you can actually hunt. Private land owners, that I've spoken with, don't allow access across their land to our land (public land).

I've all but given up on locating a ranch with trespass fees, I'm still trying but we must apply by March 15.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
sorry, but IME, that's nuts! WY has more public land with antelope on it than you could possibly cover in a season -- and, FWIW, in 15 years of hunting antelope in WY I have never been denied access by a landowner.

there are also a ton of units you can draw a buck (type 1) with no points, especially if you put in for the special draw. Doe/fawn (type 6 or 7) usually have leftovers, although those have decreased in recent years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Southwest Wyoming is virtually all public land. Try any of the antelope areas in Sweetwater county. If you don't draw a buck tag a doe tag is pretty much assured.

My apology, I guess my comments only apply to residents, I didn't even know that non-residents could get antelope preference points.

Last edited by kalbrecht; 03/06/13. Reason: New info
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Gary where in south east ky are you

Tater
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
You won't draw a buck tag in SW Wyoming as all of the areas require multiple preference points, so you are wasting your time, and the doe/fawn licenses aren't guarantees, either, unless you are applying for a type 7 license in a couple of areas.
There are very few areas that give you 100% chance of drawing an antelope license where there is a significant amount of public land. You had a 79% chance of drawing a license to hunt a buck(any antelope) in area 70 west of Casper with no preference points. The area has quite a bit of public land, both BLM and state, and most of the landowners with circular sprinklers and alfalfa will let you hunt antelope. The Casper office should have names. You had 100% chance of drawing a couple of licenses to hunt does in this area.
There is an 89% chance of drawing a license to hunt a buck in area 42 without preference points, but there is less public land than in area 70. Oddly, there is only a 67% chance of drawing a license to hunt a doe in this area. Again, don't bother with a second choice.
I hope this helps you.
The only areas you can draw as second choices for a license to hunt a buck are in NE Wyoming, land of the access fee or a good GPS unit, and most of them will have leftover licenses anyway, so forget a second choice.

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've hunted 42 a bunch, p.m. me if you need some info. Get a good atlas and get a grip on the area boundries. 42 can be tough, there is some public in there plus walk in and HMA's. We have always managed to get our antelope and have good hunts-but it did take hard hunting on occasion.

Golden............

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (257Bob, 2500HD, 1badf350, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 222ND, 222Sako, 68 invisible), 2,978 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,682
Posts18,534,347
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.