Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwall
I like BOTH.

Yes there is more to, gettin close, not letting them smell or hear you. The element of 'surprise' is a reward all of its own.

I had a blast this past season, on the ground and most shots were up close & personal. (5)

OTOH - I also enjoy reaching out there and touchin one. Now for where I've been hunting 400 yds is about as far as I've had the opportunity. 1 at 389, 1 at 399 (by rangefinder) and plenty between 200-300. It takes more practice and having the right equipment to reach out. Some can't hit a deer past close range.

This. That said I think a definition of "short range" needs to be fleshed out. having been so close to a bunch of Cape Buffalo that you can hear their stomachs rumble and smell them IS a trip! Then again so was whacking a kudu at 350 plus. It's all good!

Put be down for BOTH.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
HR IC

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
+1 with jorge, stick & string or slinging lead, I like em both.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Won't catch me with a bow though smile Oh and full disclosure, I ususally pay to hunt...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
jorge, we all pay one way or the other! While I prefer rifle hunting, the bow gets me out with more opportunities, and that's a good thing.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Took me a long while to learnto walk up to elk bedded, and it still stands the hair up onmy neck when I do. Doing it to a single bull is tough, 10-15 cows is tougher yet

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Texas Photog: I remember you were pretty excited about that buck! wink Is that stuff in the background where the big one was hiding out?

Pat: Great photos! Thanks for posting!

saddlesore: You do a lot of close range hunting IIRC....right?

Last edited by BobinNH; 03/07/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For me it's all about being on the ridges tracking whities or still hunting along trying to kill one up close. November days with light rain or snow or general soggy conditions are a still hunters dream and "killing days" as I say to my friends.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Short, medium, or long.

Blonde, brunette, or redhead.

I like em all.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I like my handguns and hunt with them often.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bob,

It was a similar lava flow but the rocks were piled higher and had cacti in them too - not easy to sneak through. I'm counting the days until the 2013 season starts!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the sight distance is miles, one can spot unlimited game on a good day and lob rounds until one connects with the aid of a good spotter...then grin at the camera like a briar eating jackass.

Some have no other choice than to hunt close range, as in the thickets and bays one can only see a few yards, max.
Then chances are the game will scent you and be gone way before you see him.

smile

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both short and longer ranges are good.

Perhaps my most memorable shot was a buck I jumped on the hill near the camp. At first I though I did not have a chance as he saw me first and got the jump.

Then I shouted that secret sound and he turned and ran back uphill (slower uphill) past me. I made a good shot with my old Featherweight and he dropped.

It was a long and happy drag back to the camp. Easier with some snow on the ground.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Think a lot of this has to do with the nature of cover and topography wherever one might be hunting. Stand hunting in Georgia's Piedmont region may or may not provide for long shots, mostly not from my experience. Hunting in my present AO? Long is 75 yards or so and sitting on a stand is a colossal way to pizz away a lot of boring hours.

Still hunting is both more interesting and more productive if you have the cover and terrain. Powder burns, big swamp bucks, 'yotes, foxes etc. All critters stalked by a still hunter are faced with a an apex predator rather than the passive shooter. Had a run over about 7 years where the longest shot made on anything was less than 20 yards. Chase pigs today and the shots seldom exceed 10-15 yards, but the cover is very close. Excitement, sure. Rewarding more so I think. Personal best memories include still hunting a woods 'yote in Georgia and taking him at about 12 paces. Another was to move into the middle of about a dozen turkeys feeding the oak bottoms, then leaving without disturbing them. Dunno I have the stamina to do that anymore, but that one time gave a lasting memory. Was, I like to think, my Still Hunting PHD.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We miss you over on YOUR "jam" thread...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Short range is fun, but will wait for someone to start a thread on medium range and weigh in as more fun.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
True that.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
There is no greater rush than hunting with my recurve (or gun) and watching an animal closing in from 100 yards out, waiting an eternity for the animal to pass within range, thru a pre trimmed out shooting lane, attempting to control your breathing, hearing your heart beating rapidly before releasing a shaving sharp broadhead thru the vitals, hearing the hit, and watching the animal pile up within sight.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tanner
I don't really ever got off the roads or my ATV so I don't know if I should even weigh in. I've heard the big bucks and bulls hang out close to the roads.

Tanner, what the hell you been sniffing grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Tanner
I don't really ever got off the roads or my ATV so I don't know if I should even weigh in. I've heard the big bucks and bulls hang out close to the roads.

Tanner, what the hell you been sniffing grin
laugh Ennui is taking over man... my mind wanders to September-October already.

Hope nobody thought I was serious... grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 55 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,686
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.