Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
So is .357 mag. enough gun for black bears in the eastern woods? Sorry to sound ignorant, it's just that I am.

GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Marginal....are you "hunting" or for protection?

For hunting I would start with the .41 Magnum and work up... For defense against bears only a CNS shot is really going to put one down fast and then a good hardcast bullet from a .357 could work...but again I would rather start at a .41 or 10mm and work up...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stoveman
So is .357 mag. enough gun for black bears in the eastern woods? Sorry to sound ignorant, it's just that I am.

I have killed a few bears with a .357 and with a well placed shot, it will work. But this was a long time ago when we hunted with dogs. So shots were very close range, and it was easy to place your shot extremely well. In most any other situation, I just wouldn�t have the confidence with the .357, and eventually I lost confidence with the .357 under those conditions. It was after I got into a fight with a bear, I sold the .357 and bought a .44 magnum which was worlds better than the .357. These days I�m liking the .41 magnum much more than the .44, so I�d say a .41 magnum on up will be sufficient.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a 7.5" Redhawk that I have shot black bears here in Alaska, although the interior bears are smaller than back east. (150#-275#). Hard cast bullets 155 - 170 grain and a heavy crimp do the job quite nicely. Good luck, John

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
With a good bullet, yes, it's probably adequate for defense on black bears. I've carried a 357 for such purposes in the WI woods and would do so again. I'd use a 158 gr XTP or perhaps a cast WFN or SWC with a BHN of 12-14, and push it at 1200 fps and call it good.

FWIW, like I always say on these "bear" threads: get hold of Gary Shelton's books on bear behavior and learn about bears rather than just packin' heat and hopin' it'll get you out of a jam with a bruin. Better to not get into a bruin jam than to have to extricate oneself.

Don't worry about being ignorant. Just try not to stay that way!
grin

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I haven't killed a black bear with a .357 but I've killed 5 of them with a longbow and wood arrows. They're not hard to kill if shot through the living room. They die faster than a whitetail, they're thin skinned and the ribs are not any heavier than a deer. I think a .357 with good shot placement would do the job on a black bear.

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of my black bear experience has also been with longbows and homemade selfbows. But, to say they die faster than a whitetail may be misleading. My experience, you may kill them fairly quick, but they don't always go easily in the short time they have left. They can do quite a bit of damage, more than just run away like a deer. A couple of the bigger bears just flat out refused to accept the fact they were dead and went balls to the wall up until they hit the dirt. They can cover some extreme ground and do some serious damage within their last 15 or 20 seconds, moreso than any deer I've arrowed.

I rarely have a handgun bigger than a .357 when I'm outdoors around black bears. I can walk into a big black bear in my backyard taking out the trash. I've not felt undergunned. But when I'm hunting with a dedicated hunting handgun, I generally prefer something along the lines of a 5.5 - 7.5" 44 mag, even if I were only hunting deer. Not mandatory, but my opinion it makes a better hunting handgun than my .357.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
They can do quite a bit of damage, more than just run away like a deer. A couple of the bigger bears just flat out refused to accept the fact they were dead and went balls to the wall up until they hit the dirt.

That's the kind of stuff legends are made of... laugh laugh laugh

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanx. Looks like I'll join the "44" club.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I agree and disagree with pretty much everything said. Black bears aren't hard to kill. But like said above the ones that have a few seconds left can do some serious damage. A bad shot placement is a bad shot placement no matter the weapon. I would rather a guy have a weapon they can handle well and make a good shot with versus a guy with a gun to powerful or a bow with to much draw weight and can't make a good shot because of. So with that said I wouldn't have a problem with a guy hunting a black bear with a .357 provided he can shoot it well.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
a 480R or 475L

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I agree and disagree with pretty much everything said. Black bears aren't hard to kill. But like said above the ones that have a few seconds left can do some serious damage. A bad shot placement is a bad shot placement no matter the weapon. I would rather a guy have a weapon they can handle well and make a good shot with versus a guy with a gun to powerful or a bow with to much draw weight and can't make a good shot because of. So with that said I wouldn't have a problem with a guy hunting a black bear with a .357 provided he can shoot it well.

I really dislike blanket statements. They can be hard to kill. I have seen large black bears -- in the 450 + pound range absorb some lead before conceding defeat.

That said, I feel more comfortable with something bigger than the .357, like a .45 Colt, or one of my various .500s.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I disagree, in hunting situtations with proper shot placement they go down. We average 5 bears a year out of my camp. Have never had one go more then 30 yards after a well placed shot. Since we have bought our new camp 3 years ago we haven't killed a bear under 300lb. The old camp we had for 15 years I can't recall off the top of my head but next time I am up at the camp will look. Its well over 40 bears and I know the smallest ever killed was 235lb. It was killed by a 14 year old girl with a 45lb bow. That bear spun around took three steps stopped, looked back and sat down. Then tried to get up and fell over dead.

Now with a marginal hit that is a totally different story.

Bigger isn't always better, specially when accuracy is taken away with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In North Carolina, we hunt them with dogs and they are pumped up, adrenalized, pissed-off, and often moving. There are no absolutes, and every animal is a law unto itself. Yes, I have seen them drop with one shot on a number of occasions, but I have also seen them hit well and blaze a trail, and they often hurt dogs in the process. How many of these five bear a year are shot with handguns, may I ask? Do you hunt with handguns (just curious)?

Bigger is better if you can handle it well, however, nothing trumps placement.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have taken a couple with handgun, but the majority by archery. I have a few guys that do hunt with handguns every year. Have had several taken with .357. By no means am I suggesting that it is the ideal caliber. What I am suggesting is that if that is the biggest that a person can shoot well then that is a better choice then a larger caliber.

I don't run dogs but I have two friends that do that use my place. I have been out with them more then a bunch. I agree with you those bears that have been chased are not in the same frame of mind that a bear either over bait or spot and stalked is.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
This is why I said I agree and disagree with everything already stated. Type of hunting/protection, the shooters own ability, and other factures all come into play. As to the black bears they are not that tough an animal when shot in the right place. But like you and I already know there can be exceptions to that.

There are exceptions for all animals. A friend of mine was in CO rifle hunting for elk a few years ago. He and his family have owned a lodge and been guides for over 100 years. He shot an elk and while field dressing the elk they found a 4" long arrow shaft with a broadhead stick smack in the middle of the elks heart. No open wounds besides the bullet wound on the animal. The arrow had been in that elk for atleast a year if not longer. But try to reproduce that 10 times! It ain't going to happen.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 03/13/13.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thought that you might want to read this post by JJHACK:

JJHACK Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Touchet Wa. & Ellisras South ...
When I was working in the bear research and damage prevention program for the Weyerhaeuser Corporation and the Washington Fish and Wildlife Department in Western Washington, I had about 60 feeding stations to maintain on approximately 380 thousand acres bordering the Alpine Lakes Wilderness in the Cascades of Washington state. The reason we had feeding stations for black bears is another story altogether. I will just say for now that we were doing work on tree damage prevention by offering a supplemental food source for part of each spring when natural foods were limited.

I would make three trips each week maintaining approximately 20 stations per trip. One day while making the rounds of feed stations my daughter who was about 5 years old fell and cut her knee pretty bad. She was stressed out and nothing I could do would pacify her desire to go home. I found some candy bars in the truck, and gave her some soda. The sugar rush helped for the time being and I really needed to get through the remaining stations so I would not screw up my schedule for the next set of feeding stations.

I did not want to drive all the way out of the woods and have to come all the way back to finish. My daughter was a good sport working with me, as it was all she really knew in her life. We were out working with the bears almost every day together. I would just strap her into the car seat and pack a lunch and away we would go for the whole day.

Because she was hurt and sore I knew she wanted to go home, she always wanted to visit the feeding stations to look at the claw marks on the trees and look for bear tracks in the mud. She was learning to be quite the little tracker and outdoorsmen. Today was much different because of her injured knee, she did not want to go out of the truck. There were some really steep or brushy stations that were dangerous or too difficult for her so she would sit in the truck and watch the road for bears. The deal was if she saw a bear to beep the horn in the truck so I knew there was a bear nearby. This actually happened several times but was not a normal occurrence.

Because of her knee injury I was really hurrying to get done and trying to finish before her sugar rush wore off. We had about 4 stations to go when she started with the �I want to go home now� suggestions. She really had no choice in the matter but I certainly did not want her to hate doing this with me, so I agreed to hurry through the last 4 stations if she would help me. I even reminded her that feeding station number 1 was her favorite because we often saw bears there. Especially the one-eared bear that she thought was really funny looking. I never let her out of the truck at station #1 because the bears there were everyplace and the one-eared bear had been getting more and more bold each week through the spring and summer.

When we arrived at the last station I reminded her about using the horn and �keeping an eye on the road�. I grabbed a 50 pound sack of specially formulated �Land O lakes� bear chow and headed into the woods about 50 yards to fill the feeding station. It was really rainy, typical of this time of year. The trail in was very slippery in several places and because I was in a hurry I almost fell a couple times. I opened up the feeder and poured the bag in, not nearly enough to fill the drum. I reset the motion sensing game counter, exchanged the film in the motion activated camera and ran out to the truck for another sack of feed. I told her I would be right back and ran up the hill to the feeder to put in this final bag.

With my mind on getting home to fire up the wood stove and making something for dinner I was coming around a steep and slippery section of the path when I was hit so hard from behind I lost all my breath. I actually heard something but with the bag over my shoulder I never saw what happened. The bag flies into the air landing right next to my head. At that exact instant I realized a bear was on my back and I was suffocating with the air knocked out of me and the weight of this bear was on top of me. I am now, and was then a pretty fit guy, but working to get out from under this bear was pointless. He had me down and there was nothing I was going to do. He was biting me in the back around the shoulders and neck. One paw was on my head and pushing it down into the mud. I was still struggling to breathe and decided I needed to somehow get my Ruger Revolver out and resolve the problem.

I could not move a muscle without getting bit again and again. My thoughts turned to my daughter who would certainly come looking for me and would also be attacked and killed for sure. Even if the bear left me what would I look like when she found my body? What panic would set in for her? What would a very young child do with a dismembered parent alone in the woods? These hundreds of thoughts go through your mind like the bullet train, one whizzing thru after another. That was probably the single scariest moment of my life.

I was terrified she would come looking for me, I needed to do something but was completely helpless to get up. This was really a horrifying situation. Then as quick as I was knocked down the bear jumped off and ran into the bush, I briefly caught a glimpse that he had only one ear. I was in shock for several seconds sitting up and trying to get my wind back. I felt like taking out the revolver and throwing it as far as I could. What a worthless piece of dead weight I had been lugging through the woods for many years. The one time I really needed it, I can�t use it! Then I heard the horn of the truck blowing and my daughter yelling out the window that the bear with one ear was in the road. �Hurry up papa, he is leaving.� I am not an exceptionally religious guy, I certainly believe in God but am not a frequent church going person. I guarantee you this, no one is an atheist when a bear attack is occurring!

I eventually got to my feet and filled the feeding station. I went back to the truck trying to clean off my face and hair with my shirt. I was really choked up, knowing how close I was to losing my daughter and my own life, it was difficult to remain calm and un-emotional about what just happened. When I arrived at the truck my daughter stated sharply, �What took you so long, you missed the one eared bear, he was standing in the road, didn�t you hear me beeping the horn? --- What happened to you? How come you�re so muddy, what happened to your face? Are you okay, what happened to your shirt?

She was like some kind of semi-automatic question machine, those of you with children can probably relate. I explained what took place and that I was okay and we could go home now. Of course at this point she wanted to stay and go shoot the bear. Going home and allowing the bear to run free was just unacceptable to her. We did however go home. As it turned out I had massive bruising on my back and neck; many of the bruises on my head and neck look like shoestring licorice in purple. I had many long purple blood blister type marks from the claws. The claws did not break the skin. My heavy blanket lined Carhart jacket has holes in the back from the bites. I feel very strongly that it saved me from much worse injuries. There was a minimum of blood; the biggest fear was my very difficult breathing, and the injuries I would find when the adrenaline wore off and when the mud was cleaned off. At least I had no broken bones or Serious blood loss.

I told a few of my coworkers about the event, and one of my F&W contacts. He suggested I shoot or snare that bear as soon as possible. It would be a shame to lose the program we had managed and developed for this one problem animal. I took a F&W employee out several times who really wanted to shoot a bear. We eventually shot the one-eared bear. I have it shoulder mounted in my shop. He was a 2.5-year-old male that weighed 210 pounds. The most �typical� gender and age for a problem bear. They have no home range, girlfriends, food source, or dominance over any other bears. They take out the frustration they have on what ever they can. It seems that the majority of bears removed from dangerous situations are those young males trying to establish their own home area. Older dominant males don�t get too worked up about things. They are the king of the area, and usually strongly nocturnal. People simply don�t get into contact with them very frequently. The younger bears are far more active during the daylight, and often in contact with people and in places that create conflict.

Over the last 20 years I�ve done this work the average age of black bears killed in Washington state has been 2.5 years old, and male. Go figure! They are the ones hunters see most frequently during shooting hours while spot and stalk, or bait hunting, and they are the ones most likely to run up a tree when chased by hounds. They are also the ones forced into bad decisions based on hunger pains!

Watching these bears around a bait is amusing. They are clearly far more afraid of other bears then the people hunting them. I remember yelling at a 2-3 year old bear to �get lost� when my wife and I were in the tree at dark. She was a bit nervous about climbing down to walk back to the truck with that bear 30 yards away. He just looked at me and walked slowly around woofing at us. Yet on another day with a bigger bear nearby, he would wind that bear and leave a vapor trail behind in has wake.

So why did that bear hit me? Well I�m not a bear mind reader, but in the discussions with other professionals doing this kind of work and from my own experiences, I concluded that he may have felt I was taking �his food�. I�m thinking he made this contact to define his space and property. When after a few moments (seemed like a heck of a long time to me) he realized I was not another bear and bolted away. Outside of that theory, I�m not sure. One thing is for certain, nobody is walking away from a �small bear� if it wants to kill and eat or dismember you! This bear was a puny 210lbs, but with a speed and strength that no equal sized human being could possess. Not sure how many people reading this have had the wind knocked from them, but that is also a paralyzing condition which causes its own panic without the bear added into to the mix! When combined into a simultaneous event it�s life changing to be sure!

www.huntingadventures.net

If your tag was good for one pull of the trigger, or release of the arrow, what equipment would you choose, and how careful would you be about the shot

[Linked Image from ]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugeman, 1936M71, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,685
Posts18,494,008
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.