-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have just finished the Reacher books form Lee Child. I have read most of the others you guys listed. W.E.B Griffin was pretty addictive. I have read all of Louis' books of course multiple times. I have the whole series in the leather bound that I collected off of EBay a few years ago. Sacketts are great but I like "The Walking Drum" the best.

I liked and own most of Clancy's but the later ones drag for me as previously mentioned.

I have non fiction recommendations. I just read the latest from Marcus Lutrell (Service). If you guys haven't read Lone Survivor it is like a Fiction book in intensity and it isn't.

Richard

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mustang22
Over the years I have read all of the Clancy books, all of the Steven Hunter Swagger books, all of the Lee Child Reacher books,Most of the WEB Griffin series except the police series. I just finished a three book Nathan McBride series by Andrew Peterson which wasn't to bad. Currently reading Steven Hunter's most recent book, "the Third Bullet", and to be honest it's dragging a bit.

We have very similar taste. Looks like I need to try Swagger.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
John Sanford"s Prey series. I have read many of the authors already mentioned and he is still my favorite.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
The one exception is an Irishman, Patrick O�Brian� and the Aubrey/Maturin series; those are great.
I found the O'Brian series very frustrating. He leads you up to the battle scenes and doesn't do an adequate job of describing what happens. Try the Hornblower series and Dewy Lambdin's books if you want great naval books.

[Linked Image from ]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Dewey Lambdin is no slouch. My arse on a bandbox.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gordon R Dickson's Dorsai series. Agatha Christie's books. Miss Marple is my favorite.

[Linked Image from ]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
I've always enjoyed Louis L'Amour's Sackett series.

this

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anything put out by the US government followed closely by anything the mainstream media says.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like James Rollins books. I also enjoy Dean Koontz.

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Out of the silent planet series by C.S. Lewis. By far my most favorite series ever. And the second book in the series is my favorite book of all time. It is science fiction but man is it good.

God Bless,

MM

Yes! I'd forgotten those books... tremendous reads!!

For what it's worth, the Narnia books are favorites of mine as well. As Lewis said himself, if you want to get an important idea across, and you can do it in a format that even children can understand and want to read, you've pretty much nailed it. Or words to that effect.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Conan the Barbarian

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind are excellent. They are based on Ayn Rand/Libertarian philosophy.

The Archers Tales, The Saxon Chronicles and the Sharpe's Rifles series by Bernard Cornwell are very good historical novels.

Wilbur Smith's various series are a must for Africa buffs.

The original James Bond Books by Ian Fleming and the Matt Helm books by Donald Hamilton are artful examples of thriller fiction. Don't sell the books short because of the cheesy Hollywood movies. Okay, some of the Bond movies were good.

The Walt Longmire novels by Craig Johnson are quite good as well.

Dies the Fire series by SM Stirling I find riviting. His Draka novels just depressed the crap out of me (Too much like real life).

Last edited by Trombaguy; 03/08/13.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
All of Griffin's books, L'amour, in my youth, Clancy's, Robert Ludlum had some good ones, Nelson Demille, lots of good stuff out there if you have time to read 'em. Zane Grey, too. Never could get into Luke Short much, but even he had some good ones. Clair Huffaker wasn't too bad, either.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Conan the Barbarian

The entire Conan series by Robert E. Howard. Many stories were unfinished and then completed by other writers (whose names escape me at the moment) but the true Howard stories really captured Conan.

The original James Bond novels by Ian Fleming.

Anything by Heinlein. Ray Bradbury is good, too, but a bit hard to follow at times.

Asimov's Foundation series is good.

Do NOT wade into the Ghormanghast novels by Mervyn Peake. That man has the greatest command of English for describing things in minute detail, his description of a face can take a paragraph and is brilliance in print. He is also the most boring, longest winded and obtuse story teller I ever read. It was painful to read that monstrous tome.

Not a series, but "Lolita" by Nabokov is what I call "Real Literature".

The "Spiderman" series by Stan Lee - just seeing if anyone is still reading this... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have read many of those already listed, Claval, Mitchner, Clancy, Grisham, King. Often we see a movie we like but never read the book. I would reccomend Lonesome Dove, No Country for Old Men (lean on conversations), True Grit (it is not the John Wayne movie, Maddie has the grit). Last if you have never read One Flew Over the CooCoo's Nest you should. Told from a different view point than the movie it is the same story yet shockingly different.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Anything by Steven King.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have thoroughly enjoyed the Stephen Hunter group of books. I think I have read them all and enjoy the fact that Hunter researches the firearms that Swagger and others use and accurately depicts reloading and shooting right down to the bullet, the powder used and what happens on the terminal end.

I also like the fact that most of his writing is taking place within the framework of my lifetime and memory. Every book so far touches a cord within that memory and I like that. I am just a couple of years older than his main character, so some of his "experiences" are also mine. Just not as exciting.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Not a series, but "Lolita" by Nabokov is what I call "Real Literature".

I tried reading it. Like other writings by Nabakov, but I just could not get past the subject matter on this one.

Stush
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not much to add, as all the authors/series mentioned above, that I've read, were indeed all worth reading. Flashman did immediately pop into mind as one that not so many might have been exposed to, but I see I'm not alone.

If you do enjoy Science Fiction (as opposed to Fantasy), then one author/series not mentioned so far is David Brin's Uplift works. The first trilogy is just great Space Opera. The second trilogy gets out there, even for SciFi. David Brin is also the author of "The Postman", which eventually was turned into a not particularly well done movie.

Scott

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Elmore Leonard....a great writer.....Arthur Conan Doyle, got a hardcover of the complete works of, including the novels...harkens back to the day in England when gentlemen dropped a revolver in their pocket when going into questionable situations.....hope you will all read my book when I finish it...if you're still alive

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,365
Posts18,488,147
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.