Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Hey John,

I recently finished reading your excellent book on shotguns. I noticed you have a Model 12 16 gauge with a full choked barrel. I have a similar one I laid claim to after my father passed away.

I'm seriously thinking about having Briley lengthen the forcing cone and install choke tubes.

Would this gun benefit from having the forcing cone lengthened?

Thanks,

Reed LeCheminant

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Actually my Model 12 16-gauge had a modified choke.

Probably a 12 would benefit from lengthening the forcing cone. Like most shotguns of their era, the original Model 12's had a pretty short forcing cone, which tends to increase felt recoil and damage lead shot enough to affect patterning.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John have you ever had a M12 in a 20? My uncle used one a lot as well a M42. Lots of fun in the rooster fields growing up with those BB guns.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks, John.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have some Model 12 field models in 12 gauge, 20 gauge, and a Model 42 .410 that were handed down from my Grandfather.

As a kid, I re-blued the 12 gauge and refinished the stock then installed a recoil pad.

I wish I had never done any of that now. If I had it to do over, they would be in untouched condition.

My .02 cents would be to save them as is, then buy something to hunt with.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
John have you ever had a M12 in a 20? My uncle used one a lot as well a M42. Lots of fun in the rooster fields growing up with those BB guns.

Dober

Back down the line, I have had a couple of 12s in 20 and one in 28 gauge. I sold it about six or seven years ago for the paltry sum of $3200.00.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Trombaguy
Hey John,

I recently finished reading your excellent book on shotguns. I noticed you have a Model 12 16 gauge with a full choked barrel. I have a similar one I laid claim to after my father passed away.

I'm seriously thinking about having Briley lengthen the forcing cone and install choke tubes.

Would this gun benefit from having the forcing cone lengthened?

Thanks,

Reed LeCheminant

Please! If you must have a Model 12 with a lengthened forcing cone and choke tubes, give serious consideration to building it up from availaible parts.

You can literally buy everything to build a Model 12 and do it at reasonable prices. I've built two. At the least, build a front end from one with one of those damnable potatoes on the end of the barrel and fit it to your receiver. I have go-nogo gauges in 16 you can borrow if you don't mangle a perfectly good Model 12

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a 30" full choke and had Simmons cut it to 26", vent rib added and a set of thin wall screw in chokes installed. Did that 23 years or so ago and never regretted it. My best swinging shotgun still.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would pattern the M-12 with you selected loads before sending it out to have the forcing come lengthened and re-pattern the shotgun upon its return from the gunsmith for any improvement.

For the classic shotguns I favor re-choking to "improved Clynder"
rather than installing thi wall choke tubes, but that's just me.

The IC choke can cover skeet, sporting clays, and bird shooting.

Doc

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shot my first 25 straight with my dad's model 12, a 12 ga plain barrel full choke gun. I hate pump guns but that is one well-made machine.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, my "modified" choke (so marked at the factory) actually measured .010" of constriction, kind of a tight IC. It worked great for any kind of bird shooting to 40+ yards.

I fail to see how lenthening the forcing cone on a well-used and common variation of the Model 12 would hunt value or anything else. It also generally helps shootability and patterns.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mark,

I've never had a 20-gauge M12, but Phil Shoemaker has a really nifty one, made in the first few years of production, that he had restocked and engraved. It was pretty much beat to snot when he bought it. He used it a lot. I've got a few photos of it from when Eileen and I went up to Alaska and opened ptarmigan season with them five years ago.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer, Off topic, but how do those ptarmigan taste? I was in those a bunch out here on a mountain goat hunt and may have to tromp up the hill one day to shoot one if they taste worth a darn. Just curious.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 30338
Mule Deer, Off topic, but how do those ptarmigan taste? I was in those a bunch out here on a mountain goat hunt and may have to tromp up the hill one day to shoot one if they taste worth a darn. Just curious.

The joke up here is that you get a pot of water boiling and drop in the ptarmigan and a fist-sized rock. Boil it until the rock gets soft, then grow away the ptarmigan and eat the rock.

Personally I like to split the breaststroke, bread then and fry them in a pan with a little garlic powder. Tasty chicken stripes.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

We thought they tasted great, but like Eileen and I do, Phil and family take the guts out and let the birds age for at least a day or two before cooking 'em up.

Admittedly, it was early in the season when most of the birds we killed were younger, but I've hunted ptarmigan across Canada, often much later in the year, and always liked those a lot too.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I cringe when anybody talks about "improving" their Model 12.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dang! I forgot. Every firearm Winchester ever produced before 1964 was perfect right out of the factory, epecially Model 70's and Model 12's.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seen a lot of bubba'd 12's.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like I need to take a long stroll above timberline this year to check out one of those birds for the pot. In Sept here they are a nice blend of white and brown. Be fun to try.

As far as improving a Model 12, I much prefer looking down over a vent rib and I like a really open choke. Weren't a lot of factory rigs with vent ribs. Since mine won't ever be sold, not real concerned with resale just want it to point right for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to have so many M-12 16 and 20 ga shotguns in camp that I bought a forcing cone reamer and choke reamer from Brownells and the found the job easy and certainly worth while.
Here is my nicest 20 ga that also has Briley steel shot tubes and in my opinion it can stand in any company

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,400
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.