Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a Remington 700 sa 7-08 that I want to build a 6.5 saum on . I'm not sure if I have to modify the feed rails or not and if I do would I be better off selling the action and buying a new saum action to build on ?

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sell and buy.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I thought that would be the answer. I have a winchester wsm sa push feed also. Would the bolt and rails work with the saum case ?

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What kind of rig are you building? LW sporter, tacticool... etc?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
I thought that would be the answer. I have a winchester wsm sa push feed also. Would the bolt and rails work with the saum case ?

Your push feed WSM should work. I wouldn't think any modification would be needed? Find somebody to load you some dummy rounds and run them through it.

...and talk to the gunsmith that you'd like to do your work. He'll be more helpful than I am. I just bought a NH 70 WSM controlled round feed action that I'm planning to do a 7SAUM build with.

Last edited by shortactionsmoker; 03/02/13.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Ranco loco , I plan on a medium weight sporter. #4 contour 26"fluted in one of the new lightweight manners stocks. Something for antelope and deer that I can backpack hunt with. Light enough that I can carry it but heavy enough that I can shoot it well. Something like 9 lbs all up with ammo in it. I could go ultralite but I would never practice with it because it would kick like a mule at 7 lbs .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd use your action with a new ptg bolt, and aics drop mag/bottom metal.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Rancho Loco , you mean use the 700 action ? I know I would need a new bolt but would the drop mag fit if I have already put a Wyatts extended magazine in it? I had to mill out the back of the magazine well which removed the trigger guard screw hole for ADL applications.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm betting an aics type system would work fine in that, but the feed ramp might need some work if you're going to use long pointy bullets.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
You'll be better off using your mod 70 as a donor, by the time you get the new PTG bolt fitted and timed and the feed rails cut and everything trued up it just won't be $$ spent wisely, another option is to use a Borden Alpine Mag action that is designed around the short mag cartridges, comes with wyatts magazine,feed rails that are designed to feed short fat rounds, 2.75" port opening,and a bunch of other great features that a 700 will never offer you.

Also give some thought to a little lighter contour in your lightweight manners, something along the lines of 0.815 neck down to a 0.625 muzzle this is actually a RockCreek #3 contour and is as big as I would go in a LW stock...perfect for backpacking and plenty heavy enough to shoot extremely well, a #4 even if fluted is to heavy and won't balance well, even with a #3 it will be a little muzzle heavy but just about perfect!

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Daveinjax

YES! (more than likely - is the amswer I've also/always received when contemplating a rebarrel where I also wanted to change the length and diameter of the cartridges, as well!)

If you know someone with the kind of .300 SAUM or WSM for a donor, too bad you couldn't just swap one another! wink

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
FYI the feed rails on a similar project when I was looking to go 30/06 to 300 win measure the same on both actions. Seems the fire wanted to sell and buy the correct action no matter what my questions were. I would suspect the short actions are the same dimension too. My local smith advised the cost of bolt work of opening and buying a bolt would be about the same, if I had the rest of the accuracy work done to the bolt. The PT&G bolt aint a bad deal. I bought a second action and ended up measuring out of curisity. Now I have a second rifle to build...

What does it mean when the primers fall out of the case?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 45 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,238
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.