Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
One of the most aggravating things a gunsmith/blacksmith runs in to is when the owner of a rifle puts his scope bases on with thread locker and the gunsmith can't get them out. I broke 2 torx bits this morning trying to do just that. I even heated one with a soldering gun for several minutes with no luck.

Some gun owners must think the screws are holding the drive wheels of Kenworth together.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mickey - So you're saying I no longer need to tighten my base screws just up to the point that I think they're fixin' to break? laugh

I sure hope you charge the offender(s) for the extry work.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tighten them until they just strip and back off half a turn.
[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Kroil ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A couple of years ago, my daughter brought me a Remington 721 that her grandfather (my ex-father-in-law) had bought back in the mid-1950s and modified over the years. It was the barreled action, a poorly finished and partially bedded Fajen stock, some Leupold rings and a Weaver K-4 scope. She wanted it put back together for her son (my youngest grandson). I just finished restoring it and bedding it in a factory stock that I bought here on the 'Fire.

The hardest part was getting the one-piece Leupold base off. It was anchored with three different sizes of screws and was epoxied to the action. Apparently he was worried about it shooting loose. I had to take it to my gunsmith to get it removed. Roy blued the base and screws, along with the barreled action, and advised me to just put the base back on with the same screws in the appropriate holes.

It actually turned out pretty good!

Last edited by mudhen; 03/09/13.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Screws can be tightened in place by tightening them down with a good effort then giving them a sharp whack with a hammer and small punch. This seats the threads and allows you to get one half to one full turn of additional torque on the screw.

All with no locktite used. and they will come loose with hand tools

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Blue loctite is not real good, red is bad. "Oversize" screws are a better option for worn receiver threads.

Don't use Loctite on my own rifles. Never had a problem.

I feel your pain, Mickey. BTDT.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by VonGruff
Tighten them until they just strip and back off half a turn.
[Linked Image]

LMAO

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mr C.

Let us know how the project goes

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I can understand the occasional need to lock the threads - undoubtedly in the instance of a wicked recoiling rifle, but not as a universal practice. Personally, in 45 years of loony-hood, I have never loctited a screw, and never had scope bases and/or sights come loose. (Of course I have carefully avoided anything with the word "Magnum" in its name too.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm sure I've scoped and shot at least 100 rifles over the last 15 years and I have never used anything on scope mount threads and I've never had a mount come loose. A properly torqued fastener needs no locking compound.

Guys,...do you Loctite the lug nuts on your truck?

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MColeman
One of the most aggravating things a gunsmith/blacksmith runs in to is when the owner of a rifle puts his scope bases on with thread locker and the gunsmith can't get them out. I broke 2 torx bits this morning trying to do just that. I even heated one with a soldering gun for several minutes with no luck.

Some gun owners must think the screws are holding the drive wheels of Kenworth together.

Dd you ever get the screws out, and if so, how?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
i have used my wife's fingernail polish and it's cheap and works good and still breaks loose.

but no loctite. wow that'd be a beyotch to get off!

C
C
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
.. loctite. wow that'd be a beyotch to get off!

Nothing an acetylene torch and cold chisel won't shift.. ;-)

My main gunsmith used to bemoan the extreme tension idiots put on Allen wrenches, esp long handle ones, then they moan when something gets stripped.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Wanna know what's worse? The morons who use fingernail polish..

mad

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Redneck

Wanna know what's worse? The morons who use fingernail polish..

mad

And just two posts above is....... whistle laugh

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Mr C.

Let us know how the project goes

I left the base on and Cerakoted the base as well as the receiver. If I can't get it off neither can he. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use Blue Loctite on all my scope mounts, but just only on a couple of screw threads and not all of them, have never had a problem getting them out this way. When i get a rifle that is hard to get the screws out, i drill off the heads and use vice grips on the stud and they come out easy. Yes i have had bases work loose with out Locktite on them.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I also use blue loctite on base screws (not rings). I have never had an issue removing bases with my method.

First, if the receiver scope base holes are all cruded up, chase the holes with the appropriate 6-48 tap or whatever size your receiver holes are. This will clean them up nicely. Degrease screws and receiver scope base holes.

When installing, place a very small single drop of blue loctite on the end of a very small allen wrench. Then transfer that drop of loctite inside the threads of the receiver scope base hole (nothing on the base screws). Then install base as normal with 20 inch pounds on the screws.

This method will yield no mess with loctite everywhere, and provide the extra rigidity against vibration that could loosen the base screws.

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or you could follow the manufacturer's advice and use low strength purple #222

Loctite 222� Purple Threadlocker prevents loosening from shock or vibration, but also allows for simple, hand-tool disassembly without shearing the screw.

Features:

Low strength
Easy to remove liquid threadlocker
Typically used with small screws up to 1/4".
The optimum temperature range is -65� F to 300� F.

Medium strength blue is recommended for screws 1/4 inch and up.

Wouldn't surprise me if some (bubba) characters out there just grab the super glue.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

295 members (1Longbow, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 32 invisible), 1,796 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,308
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.