Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I am thinking about taking a trip next spring to Tampa to fish for them. I am not a fly fisherman and have no interest in learning. Wondering about timing. I know that May is the month to go, does moon phase have anything to do with the best time. Tides are probably important, but how far in advance can they be predicted? I will be by myself, interested if anyone knows a good guide or two. Planning on 3-4 days and maybe trying for reds one day too. Any help would be appreciated.

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Boca Grande pass (south of Tampa) is the tarpon capital. You can call Miller's Marina (on Boca Grande Island) for info on guides. Reds and trout are right there too...good luck...
ps....if you want to practice your tarpon fishing, get a buddy with a volkswagen to let you tie your line to the back bumper...then let him drive off down the street and you try to reel him in....will give you an idea except a VW can't jump....

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Tampa is a good area for Tarpon, caught 2 where Afterum suggested.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
boca grande is very well known for its tarpon fishing. also for the size tarpon caught there.
that said it would not be my choice of places to be during the peak season. that due to the crowded conditions that happen there. most fish caught there are on heavy tackle due to lack of ability to move about after a fish is hooked.
if you havent seen photos id suggest you do before going there.
the entire area would offer excellant fishing including tarpon.
there would be numerous guides who could put you on tarpon as well as other choices in that area.
florida sportsman magazine is an excellant publication which has online information. florida sport fishing magazine would be another good place to look. i would be using sources like those for information as well as a source for guide service. area tackle shops would be another good source. you could find those with google.
i have guided numerous tarpon trips in the keys. they are an awsome fish and awsome to catch especially on lighter tackle. in order to have any chance of landing one of any size
the captain must have room to move about with the boat.
talk with some guides and get their take on it.
but ive givin you mine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've caught a few off bobhall pier

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Holy crap dood! Nice lettuce on your head...and great tarpon too!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Holy crap dood! Nice lettuce on your head...and great tarpon too!

LMAO!

Rodger looks like you kept that one. Or did you just retain a scale? If kept what did you do with him? Mount?

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
just got a scale then released it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
T
If you aren't worried about fly fishing then Key West Harbor would be really going strong in May. Not nearly as weather dependent as flats fishing and you can fish whenever the tide is right. Day or night.
The harbor isn't the only game in town either. A good capt would know of several channels to fish during a day depnding on tide times.
Capt anchors the boat and chums with shrimp boat bycatch and you dead drift pieces of chum back to the fish. It's a lot of fun and you'll catch fish from 20-180lbs. I've caught lots of permit, jacks, cudas, yellowtail, snook and mangroves while I was after tarpon too. Rush Maltz and Kenny Harris are good Capts in KW.
Boca Grande pass is like fishing for tarpon in a boat show parking lot on the peak tides. I think the better tides(hill tides) are ususally in June and July. These are afternoon tides on the new and full moon. The peak tides there are when all the small crabs are pushed out of BG pass. On less than ideal tides the fishing goes from drifting crabs to heavy vertical jigs on circle hooks.
When you hook up in BG pass you try to get out of the "rotation" of boats drifting as fast as possible so the fish doesn't get tangled in other anglers lines, running gear, or before it jumps in another boat.
The beaches outside of the pass are a lot less stressful. You can cast to fish running up and down the beach.

N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Good info, thanks.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,219
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.