Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
We'll have 4 nights (3 days) to kill/in Vic Falls in May. Kicking around on Google looking at places to stay, there seem to be some nice places.

Looked at a few, but thought I'd see if anyone had any specific recommendations....

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ilala lodge. good food. not to expensive. ok location

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bobmn
Ilala lodge. good food. not to expensive. ok location

I stayed here and it was hunter friendly. The kept my guns in the safe room. I think the manager was named Peter and he even gave us a ride back to the lodge after we ended up at the Vic Falls Boat club drinking with the locals. (that's another story smile )
The Safari Lodge is another nice place.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You may want to consider spending one of those four nights on the Zambia side. The view of the falls is not as spectacular as from Zimbabwe, but it's worth seeing.

There are several good hotels there. I stayed at the Thorntree River Lodge the last time I was there and can recommend it. It's on a bank above the river and elephants and hippo are seen from the lodge.

Bill Quimby

Last edited by billrquimby; 03/10/13.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I spend time each year in Vic Falls. Ilala lodge is very nice and a short walk to the Falls themselves. The A'Zambezi lodge is right on the river and has a great restaraunt and lounge area but will require a short ride to visit the Falls. You may want to consider a night at the Gorges Lodge. It is located outide of town a few miles and is owned my Martin Pieters, (Martin Pieters Safaris) father in law. All of the chalets are built on the edge of the Zambezi Gorge, providing a outstanding view from your room. You may want to take the time to visit the Chobe Safari Lodge in Botswana. It is about two hours from Vic Falls and they can arrange transportation to and from the Falls. You will have to pay another thirty dollars for a multiple entry visa into Zim if you go this route,(or Zambia as well). Chobe has a cruise boat at the lodge and offer a great game viewing cruise.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Vic Falls hotel is rather pricy but the hotel is still in the old colonial style with many trophy mounts all over the place. It's also a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

There are so many cops in town that you should be safe unless you allow the street vendors to overcharge you for many of their wares.

Most important thing about Zambia is they require a yellow fever vaccination certificate. If you book, pay and arrive without the vaccination certificate you lose your booking.

Chobe is a fine suggestion and takes a full day. Walking with the lions is a fun experience just about 4 miles south of Vic Falls and takes 2 - 3 hours. A helicopter flight over the Falls is almost mandatory if you have about $ 200 per person - there is a 15 minute and a 25 minute flight of which the longer one is better.

PM me if you would like pictures or more info. Alternatively look here
Victoria Falls

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks Gents.

Right now I think Ilala and Gorges are my first two pics. Will likely just stay at one place, rather than move around.

Pieter, thanks for the link. The company has me blocked on that site, but will take a look tonight when I'm on my laptop.

Also considering a round of golf and a half or full day flyfishing on the Zambezi...

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Used to be a guy that had some nice sable not far away on the Zimbabwe side, IIRC. Don't know about now.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Used to be a guy that had some nice sable not far away on the Zimbabwe side, IIRC. Don't know about now.

The Matetsi safari area is located in the northwest corner of Zimbabwe near Vic Falls. The Matetsi area is well known for better than average and abundant populations of Sable.

Last edited by tim416; 03/12/13.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Anyone stayed with Russ Caldecott at Ultimate Safaris?

Read a lot of great things from a few years ago, then I saw where he was shutting down the lodge. Guess he's back running a smaller version (?) but recent feedback doesn't seem quite as positive as it once was....

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (16penny, 405winash, 35, Amos63, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 762 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,647
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.