Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I guess they don't get the "ILLEGAL" part crazy

Lower tuition for illegal immigrant students passes Colorado House

The cheers of immigrant students echoed through the Colorado Capitol on Friday after the House passed a bill allowing students who entered the U.S. illegally to pay lower college tuition, a measure that will soon become law.

Students hugged and wiped away tears outside the House chamber after the vote, sending the proposal to Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper, who is expected to sign it sometime this month.

The historic vote comes a decade after the bill was first introduced. Along the way, Colorado lawmakers grappled with immigration and passed strict enforcement laws, including one to deny non-emergency benefits to illegal immigrants.

Colorado Republicans have traditionally taken a tough stand on illegal immigration, but this year a few joined Democrats in the House and Senate who unanimously supported the bill. Three House Republicans voted yes, including Rep. Kevin Priola.

"Thank you, Rep. Priola!" the students yelled outside after the vote.

"For all intents and purposes Colorado is their home state, and there is no country to go back to. They're bright, energetic hardworking kids," Priola said.

The bill would allow students who graduate from Colorado high schools to attend college at the in-state rate, regardless of their immigration status. Currently, students in the country illegally must pay the nonresident tuition rate, which can be more than three times higher than the in-state rate.

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, 12 other states have passed laws to allow illegal immigrants to attend college at in-state rates, including conservative strongholds such as Texas and Utah.

Similar bills have been debated in Colorado for a decade, with both parties voting to defeat the proposals.

"This is history, you know?" said Victor Galvan, 22, a student at Metropolitan State University of Denver who was hugging other students outside the House chamber in celebration. "For 10 long years we fought."

Later, downstairs from the House, students gathered in a circle with Democratic Sen. Mike Johnston, who has been pushing for the bill for three years. Some students took turns trading stories about being unable to afford college. Galvan recalled how his mother told him it would be OK if he didn't go to college.

"Never again will another person have to say that to their son or daughter. I told her that I would graduate from high school and I would give her one day my college diploma," he said, choking up.

Jennifer Romero, 21, said she finished high school in 2009 but was short $200 to attend her first semester at a community college.

"And ever since then, I've been waiting, just waiting, just saving up," she said. "And now we know that that's not going to happen again, that I can go out there and give them money, pay in-state tuition and be able to graduate."

In previous years, Johnston had gathered the students in a circle to console them about the bill's failure.

"It's the best day I've ever spent in this building," he said.

Johnston said "there's a changing sentiment" about immigration in Colorado, and he credited the tuition bill.

"I think this debate has changed how the state sees this issue, and I think it will have reverberations beyond this issue," he said.

Most in the GOP still opposed the tuition measure. But during debates they took pains to argue they aren't anti-Latino, but critical of an overall immigration system that is flawed. They argued that a federal immigration overhaul needs to happen first, and said the bill would give students false hope because they would be saddled with college debt, but unable to get a job because of their immigration status.

"And I just don't see how that provides a brighter future," said Republican Rep. Polly Lawrence.

But Democrats disagreed. The immigrant students who get in-state tuition will have to sign an affidavit saying they're pursuing citizenship.

"Please be on the right side of history because this is not about false hope," Rep. Angela Williams, a Democrat from Denver, told her colleagues before the vote.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WOW! shocked

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
How noble....they fought for 10 years to get a college education on the backs of Colorado tax payers, while resident students and their parents get to pay full boat.

What a disgrace.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Huh, I thought it was about education.

*that's what we're told*

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Un [bleep] real !!!

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Not unlike Orygun. What really sucks is that an American kid from another state has to pay higher tuition than an illegal. Liberal jackasses

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BobinNH
How noble....they fought for 10 years to get a college education on the backs of Colorado tax payers, while resident students and their parents get to pay full boat.

What a disgrace.

I am going to type a letter to send to CDOW e telling them I will forfeit my preference point bank on Deer and Elk. First the pot legalization,gun and equipment ban and now this. [bleep] them.. I will drive around that state or fly over it.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Just another way to End the Good Old USA! WTF

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I am letting my deer points go too.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yet the next time a Democrat running for office stands, and with the conviction of any Evangilist, bellows, "invest more in education!" - not a sole will point out the spending isn't about education. Using public treasure to pay for a voting constituency (both educator, and student), is the real goal.

It's time for an overhaul.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Buying votes--one change at a time!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
One day:

Lower tuition for illegal gun owning students passes Colorado House

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Meanwhile, tuition assistance for our troops has been scraped....

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How did this country get SO [bleep] broken?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We've been fighting this type of stuff for many years, probably a decade or more. Just goes to show what happens when the Democraps take control. We all knew it would happen, i.e. gun control, illegal immigrant in-state tuition, gay marriage, et.al. once they took power. Elections have consequences and we are reaping them now. Colorado is not the same place it was when I grew up and when my parents and grandparents grew up. Too many liberal transplants that don't understand freedom and standing up for what is right. They'd all rather have the government take care of them. I'm physically sick over all of this.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Ravenr2
How did this country get SO [bleep] broken?

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/incometaxandtheirs/a/History-Of-The-Us-Federal-Income-Tax.htm

None of these bullschit ideas can fund themselves....because they are bullschit.

Last edited by HawkI; 03/10/13.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

It's time for an overhaul. [/quote]

Past time Mako, way past time!

Last edited by gwindrider1; 03/10/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kend
Not unlike Orygun. What really sucks is that an American kid from another state has to pay higher tuition than an illegal. Liberal jackasses

Only a white one.

A black one won't even need an education, whether he goes to school or not, whether he is educated or not, EVERYthing is free.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Until conservatives get back into the teaching profession, there will be more of the same. The young are being molded to the liberal vision, the only question is, what state will be next?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The values I was raised with are now labeled "extreme". What was once wrong, is now right. Here you have people breaking our laws, and not only being given a stipen to live on, but free medical care for themselves and their childern. Along with allowing the children in schools, and now they get a special deal for tution, while still being illegal. All to purchase their vote.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 35, 15 invisible), 1,553 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,949
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.