Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Won a gun (nothing special) at a banquet last night, step-dad won one as well.

Took the 1/2 hour drive to the dealer today to pick it up and was "DELAYED" for the first time ever. I purchase 6-10 guns a year probably.

Last few years I (FFL Dealer) would get about a 30-60 second delayed response. For what reason I have no idea (see below)

Today I was told I would have to come back. I asked if they could call again, or if they waited etc. Nice enough old guy, but old is the key word and they were somewhat busy. Maybe just because it was on a Sunday?

Never having had this before I didn't really know much. Looked it up and there are references to waiting or calling back. This is now a major inconvenience for me as I won't be around for the next three weeks to even get over there.

What's worse is I just had my Concealed Carry permit approved, just became a Federal employee and went through a ton of background checks/paper work and now this.

Looked the the site and will file for a VAF (Voluntary Appeal File) to prevent this in the future but with my schedule I have no idea when I'll be able to get the finger print cards and what not filed, plus it sounds like that's a 4-5 month process.

I have the NICS check number, but where/how do I do an inquiry (even if possible) to find out the real reason for the delay?

I know my address through my own credit check isn't always reported accurately and I'm guessing that is what may cause the delay. No felonies, one minor misdemeanor 19 years ago and my last traffic violation was 6-7 years ago.

Life is just one damned thing after another
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
If you had your carry permit approved there ought to be a NICS number on it...use the permit and your D.L. as ID on your purchase and no call, or waiting is necessary...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Your question of why this happened was self answered when you said you had recently become a federal employee. There are flags all over your name. Unfortunately those flags are not indicated as to why you were flagged. And now will have to be checked out.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Yep. You are on a separate data base now, and they are just plain not inclined to check the other base right away. Often they delay you simply because they can...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
If you had your carry permit approved there ought to be a NICS number on it...use the permit and your D.L. as ID on your purchase and no call, or waiting is necessary...

Ingwe, wouldn't that depend on his state of issuance. My pistol permit doesn't have a nice number our permitting is basically. You apply to the sheriff he checks you out and gives your permit

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Does ndeed apply to the state in question...I believe-though am not positive about this- that 26 states are on the NICS background check system, both for transactions, and CCWs....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

in Wyoming it works that way due to our CC process, I don't think the SD system is as in depth.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good call on the background crap for my recent Federal Job, one [bleep] form, background, fore-ground, every ground check I've found out.

Our Concealed Permit is pretty basic, I'll have to look into that and maybe give that next time. Going to a gun auction in a few weeks and it'd be a major pain in the ass if I were to buy something and delayed down there.

I will go ahead and do the VAF application, figure for the 10.00 bucks it takes to get the finger prints done it'd be worth it as 9 outta 10 guns I buy aren't anywhere near home.

Thanks for the replies though, much appreciated.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not so in all states.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
True dat.I guessed at 26 states ( see above post) but also I havent been in the gun biz for a year...dont know what all has changed....

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by cal74
Good call on the background crap for my recent Federal Job, one [bleep] form, background, fore-ground, every ground check I've found out.

Our Concealed Permit is pretty basic, I'll have to look into that and maybe give that next time. Going to a gun auction in a few weeks and it'd be a major pain in the ass if I were to buy something and delayed down there.

I will go ahead and do the VAF application, figure for the 10.00 bucks it takes to get the finger prints done it'd be worth it as 9 outta 10 guns I buy aren't anywhere near home.

Thanks for the replies though, much appreciated.

I wear a badge and have explosives training. I probably have my own personal drone

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They won't give you a reason why you were delayed, that's reserved for denials.

Wi. gives no specials for CC holders either.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Chances are they don't know why he was delayed. Again just that his name was flagged and prompted the delay

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by aalf
They won't give you a reason why you were delayed, that's reserved for denials.

Wi. gives no specials for CC holders either.
Denials don't receive an immediate reason either. The FFL holder or shop is given a telephone number to pass on to the would-be buyer who can then follow up an attempt to resolve the reason for denial.

The delays are due primarily to the [bleep], somewhat manual lookup system used by NICS. I'm usually delayed or handed over for "further review," while my 70-plus-year-old dad is immediately approved.

I had the opportunity to view a lookup being used by Homeland Security about nine years ago. My name (common) throws up a lengthy list of dickheads who are fairly close in age to me and who've all done time for violent crimes, drug trafficking, skipped bail, etc. This list is then either manually scanned to eliminate my name or scanned by another person who (apparently) copies and pastes this into something like Excel which sorts it.

My dad's name (also quite common) throws up a fairly small list (maybe two dozen names) of people very close to his age who've usually been convicted of something no worse than a DUI thirty-some-odd years ago. (I didn't see any felons, domestic violence convictions or anything else that would disqualify a purchase in this list.)

I have a former co-worker who has a fairly uncommon name that is also shared by an assh*le who's been convicted of steroid dealing. He gets delayed every time while NICS verifies his date of birth and other specific information.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Did you put down your SSN? I was getting delays all the time when my SSN was on the 4473. No SSN, no delays.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NICS went thru some updates this week,a notice was sent out to all dealers,now some read them and I guess others did not...
system was slow all week?

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
If your record is as you state its nothing to worry about, you just might have to wait a bit. I used to get delayed in PA all the time although they have thier own check system and operators which is called "PICS" but its basically a NICS check that also includes the State Police database of PFA's, mental disqualifiers etc ....they say you are being put into "research". I'd usually receive a call within an hour or so from the FFL telling me I am approved and come get the gun, but one time it took two days. Was a major PITA but thankfully for some reason starting about a year ago it was an instant approval after the FFL spoke to the operator. Also with our system you can only file an appeal in the case of denial, not delay so you might want to see about that with NICS, as you may just have to live with the delays whatever is causing them.

cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Did you put down your SSN? I was getting delays all the time when my SSN was on the 4473. No SSN, no delays.

I did and always have, but will try it without next time.

My step-dad (who is 70) actually told me later on that he did not put his SS and he got cleared right through.

Baffles me I'm good enough to hold an upper management job with the USDA, approved for a Concealed Permit, A+ credit, but I can't take possession of a rifle?

First gun I've ever won and it's already left me with a sour taste. It's a fine one at that, some Russian made single shot .243 with an extra fine scope.

cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by firemanmark
If your record is as you state

It is and again I now hold a fairly upper level management position with the USDA that entailed a fairly detailed security background check.

Not worried about it not clearing, just the inconvenience of it. Couple months ago I would have just ran over and picked it up another day after or during work. This new position has me constantly on the road, so it's a major pain in the a%% as I'll be gone for several weeks and than it's another hour round trip to a place I'd rather not go in the first place.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Your question of why this happened was self answered when you said you had recently become a federal employee. There are flags all over your name. Unfortunately those flags are not indicated as to why you were flagged. And now will have to be checked out.

This has been my experience dealing with Feds and people with high security clearances ( that you would think would allow them to waltz right thru NICS ).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,347
Posts18,526,961
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.