Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
SeaDago Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Apparently Leupold and Weatherby, two fine American companies, refuse to communicate with one another and their customers about the failure of Leupold mounts (dovetail, at least) to actually fit the Vanguard. I've tried and failed with the mounts suggested by both companies, as well as Leupold mounts made for the Rem 700 as suggested by similarly frustrated people in the internets. cry

Through a little research, I've come to learn that my experience is not uncommon and is a long-standing issue. I'm both surprised and frustrated that these two fine quality companies have sh*t the bed so thoroughly on such a simple product. I have a hard time believing the problem lies in the Vanguard's manufacture in Japan and thus causing the measurements to somehow be 'lost in translation.' We've been working pretty closely with the Japanese on a wide range of products for some time now, so a metric/English conversion error cannot really be the cause...right?

And even it was the problem, after all these years, wouldn't someone at either company have fixed the technical issue or at least steered customers away from these mounts by now?

Two returns later, I've had to go a completely different route and have ordered a Talley base/ring set...I hope that works. So, will they (product #930734)?

And can anyone explain the Leupold/Weatherby problem?

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" -- Charles Darwin
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I was told by Nightforce that their rail for the Remmy 700 would fit my Accumark. It wasn't even close. I ended up with a rail from Near Mfg. that was supposed to fit the Accumark. Once again, not even close. I had to bed the whole rail, as the rear deck of my Accumark is at least 1/16" lower than the front/chamber end of the rail. My Accumark was produced in the Good old US of A in 2003. It's a very solid, stress-free rail mount now, but I had to bed both end of the rail to be sure I wasn't bending the rail when I tightened the mounting screws.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Older Vanguard and rem 700 use same mounts, I've interchanged them myself. Not sure about one-piece, only tried 2 piece. maybe the new S2 is different?

Mark V is a different beast.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Blueneck,

You did the right thing by going with Talley.

If for some reason they don't work, Talley will machine a set of bases specifically to fit your rifle(at least that has been my experience). Talley is a great company with excellent customer service.

Good luck,

Leftybolt

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Talley all the way.

When I had an issue with elevation adjustment on my Weatherby they just sent me a new set. Boom, just like that.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used both Leupold mounts for a Remington 700 and a one piece rail for a Vanguard on my older Vanguard Sub MOA with no problems.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Just roll with the Talley lightweights. Torque the base 20-25 and the rings 15-20. I just dropped a set on the new Vanguard Series II Back Country rifle for an upcoming review, and they fit just fine. You'll have to figure out which two short base screws go where and which two long ones go where, but just drop them in the holes in the bases and it will be obvious when you have it right based on equal lengths protruding from the bottoms.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (808outdoors, 338Rules, 38HBWC, 35, 8 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,022
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.