Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A classy lady � new acquaintance, after watching my interactions with friends � asked "How did you come to be such a good friend?"

I've got swarms of ?s buzzing about in and around my head.

"How?" indeed! First thought � family � was the only thing that came to mind � itself yet another puzzler.

Anybody got an answer? How does one become a good friend? I'd give worlds to know!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not the answer but will say I am lucky to have a few good friends...

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've always applied the "good friend" label to others, so I have no clue how to apply it, in any sort or step of analysis, to myself.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I understand what you are saying. I guess it would be very hard to pinpoint being a good friend if you don't label yourself such. Now that I am thinking about it I really don't see a concrete or common answer. This conclusion comes from realizing the complexity of friendships and human interactions in general.
Kind of like looking a gift horse in the mouth. laugh

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is a matter of feeling IMHO, no logical explanation I can think of.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When two (or more) people who share a passion about a common interest gather the foundation is set out. If they both are sensitive, sharing, caring, and reliable the friendship might flourish. Sounds corny buy any combination of outgoing personality traits coupled with positive interaction skills results in the potential for a friendship. It has to be two way street and while not all the things have to align it helps.

I have some good friends. One is based on firearms and hunting. He is the best friend. The others are good friends with long histories based on a common interest in a variety of activities.

The "magic" is that one cannot orchestrate a great friendship, it just happens.

Last edited by stantdm; 03/11/13.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

This^^^^^

FJB & FJT
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Raeford

This^^^^^

And sometimes with the most unexpected people.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
First, I think you have to get to know someone very well,..which really doesn't seem to happen a lot these days.

There's quite a few people that I share interests with and am friendly towards, but I don't have any *close* friends like I did back when I was a young man.

I get along well with pretty much everybody I encounter on a daily basis, but I just don't make the effort to develop a close personal friendship with any of them.

Truth be told, the older I get, the more I prefer solitary endeavors.

Not that I'm a recluse. When I'm out and about, I interact with the people I encounter in a positive, friendly fashion,...but I really don't want to have to constantly deal with an ever present companion.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Truth be told, the older I get, the more I prefer solitary endeavors.

This. With the exception of dogs and family, not too many folks I want riding shotgun.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Trust, Integrity, And honor in everything they do, thats what makes a good friend.

A good friend is some one you have a few things in common with and you could trust him with your naked wife.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

A friend might help you move, if you ask.

A Good Friend shows up un-asked to help you move, and they bring beer.

It is the unloaded guns that get people killed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting. Can one attain good friend status thru various methods, and thus not all acquired friends of good preformed same? Say one good friend achieved good status thru strength of character. Honesty of deeds recognized and a kinship developed thereupon. Another, scandalous by any standard, is the star batter for your baseball team and even in light of such great personal defects has characters which delight you and thus he too becomes of the good status. Would the defect necessarily become the less good friend, or is it possible to enjoy their company in light of defects? What about the guy that covered your back during war yet was faithless to family?

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Comedian Richard Lewis said: " A friend will help you move. A best friend will help you move...a body!"

Being a good friend is accepting someone without judgement.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ken, Can you ever really know someone unless you've witnessed them either wrestling with their demons or recovering from wounds or delirium?
I prefer to know of one's most base reaction, and where and how they go from there.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
A classy lady � new acquaintance, after watching my interactions with friends � asked "How did you come to be such a good friend?"

"How?" indeed! First thought � family � was the only thing that came to mind � itself yet another puzzler.

Anybody got an answer? How does one become a good friend? I'd give worlds to know!

It doesn't sound like she's asking how you came to be such a good friend to her. Rather, she's observing that you're a good friend to the people you're interacting with.

This is one of those things that is self-explanatory. How does a person become a good friend? By being a good friend. Display most of the traits in the Boy Scout Law and you'll be a good friend: Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent. Add to that, just be there when you're needed, whether the need is moral, spiritual, or physical.

When you say "I'd give worlds to know," I'm thinking you're a giving person. That about sums it up.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A true friend is the greatest of all blessings, and that which we take the least care of all to acquire.

Francois de La Rochefoucauld

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Sometimes it's just birds of a feather.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Feelings, wo-wo-wo-wo- feelings...."

Last edited by poboy; 03/11/13.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

It doesn't sound like she's asking how you came to be such a good friend to her. Rather, she's observing that you're a good friend to the people you're interacting with. �

That's exactly what she was asking, exactly what she was basing her question on. No reference or allusion to my being a good friend to her � she and I hadn't known each other that long or that well � just then barely getting acquainted.

And no indication or probability that I'll ever see her again.

"Good enough" isn't.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,810 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,415
Posts18,528,222
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.