-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm very much interested in acquiring a new Win Low Wall in 6.5x55. I love the caliber but don't have any experience with this model rifle. Current rifles in 6.5x55 are Tikka T3 and a Mod 70 Winchester I had re-barreled to 6.5x55. They both deliver MOA at 100 with factory ammo. Would like to hear some opinions on the low wall and what my expectations should be for accuracy potential without reloading.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My win. 1885 High Wall is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. It bettered my Rem 700 Sendero couple months ago.

I see no reason why the Low Wall would be less accurate.
If you do your part and have the right loads <.500 groups should be no problem.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I've got one in .260 (browning) but it and the Winchester Low wall are both made in Japan by Miroku. The fit and finish of the Browning models are better then the Winchester model IMO. My .260 is easily at sub 1" gun with factory Federal Premium loads. I do think the triggers normally need work and there is a fellow by the name of lee shaver (think that is his name) who can do a wonderful job on low wall triggers.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I was able to get a .366" 5 shot group with Federals "Fusion" load in my Blaser K95...
Probably the best 5 shot group that I have ever shot!

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The actions are difficult to disassemble & re-assemble, and the triggers are lawyer-proof, but my experience with the Japanese Low Walls is they will have excellent barrels, and shoot very well. That 6.5x55 should be an excellent shooter for you.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 03/11/13.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Start looking they are no longer in the catalog...Just buy one if you see one.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have no experience with the caliber you like but I have had several Browning 1885's and B78's, both low and high wall versions. They have all been very accurate and very reliable rifles. I had a .223 low wall that was, just to me, an absolute gem.

I have read that they are difficult to work on, especially the trigger group, but have had no issues so far. I prefer the oiled finish to the high gloss finish on these rifles but take them any way they come.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Uncas - yep, tried ordering last year when they were shot show specials - have now found 2 available in that caliber. Time to trick mamma and sneak one in the house. smile

I recently took delivery of a 6.5x55 low wall. The wood, though not spectacular, is plenty nice. Not just all straight grain. The 6.5x55 is just about my favorite cartridge. Handy little gun.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Here is one

[Linked Image]

I have found that accuracy (groups) are very good as long as brass is sized properly. Mine requires that shoulder be bumped back a bit. This ensures proper extraction and helps to give good groups.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B3

W
W
I have no experience with Winchester's 1885 low wall, but assume it's similar/identical? to what Browning introduced in the mid-90s. I bought each new caliber as they were introduced: 22 Hornet, .223 Rem, .243 & .260 Rem., all made by Miroku.

All were extremely accurate (at least as best as I can shoot), especially with the way-cool, but pencil-thin octagon barrels. Even with the various scopes, they have a good balance, carry well (the forearms are slightly slimmer than the Winchester photo above)....what's not to like?

I screwed the trigger down as light as it would go, choosing not to mess with it beyond that. On the Hornet, it's 1.75 lbs, the others slightly higher.

And, I eventually succumbed to the pleas of friends to sell them (all except the Hornet, which I must own, like, forever).

The .223 lives with a regular coyote and occasional turkey hunter, the .243 and its now-owner have accounted for many varmints and several deer, and the .260 lives in Wyoming with a friend who also guides and says he's never counted, but would need lots of hands and fingers for the deer, antelope, plus 2 elk.

My experience is that I didn't worry about full-length sizing brass; I neck-sized all except the 260, which I didn't have long enough to hand load. The Hornet, especially, is gentle on brass: I've loaded several 5-6 times and counting.

One last thing: this isn't intended to be a 1885 vs. Ruger thing, but you'll notice, unlike the #1, there aren't a lot of articles on "accurizing" the '85....I think that's because of the forearm hanger extending out from the receiver. All my Miroku have had floating barrels, with no "enhancements" necessary.

Well, I take that back. I hate Browning's bright-n'-shiny wood finish, and the first thing I did was to grab some xxxxx steel wool and buff out the shine until it looks like a nice hand-rubbed linseed finish (one can do that while keeping whatever poly-something factory finish). And Browning's really proud of their gold triggers. Me...not so proud....but....

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The steel wool trick works nicely but if you use the rifle a lot you can 'reshine' the areas you hold most often. No big deal just re-do it. You can get the same satin finish with a pad of soft cloth, some oil, and rotten stone too.

The big problem arises with deep scars in that hard finish. Then the best fix is to get rid of all the high shine and redo in a hand rubbed oil finish. Lots of work, but the excellent Browning wood underneath makes it worth it.

1B

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 29 invisible), 2,177 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,843
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.