Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
The PR budget is just a small step on a journey we desperately need to get started on.
Never said it was perfect or that it does not need to grow, but it is here now and it is a plan.

Damn shame it will be DOA in the Senate until we get a veto proof Senate in 2014.

Wall Street Journal 3/11/13
By PAUL RYAN

America's national debt is over $16 trillion. Yet Washington can't figure out how to cut $85 billion�or just 2% of the federal budget�without resorting to arbitrary, across-the-board cuts. Clearly, the budget process is broken. In four of the past five years, the president has missed his budget deadline. Senate Democrats haven't passed a budget in over 1,400 days. By refusing to tackle the drivers of the nation's debt�or simply to write a budget�Washington lurches from crisis to crisis.

House Republicans have a plan to change course. On Tuesday, we're introducing a budget that balances in 10 years�without raising taxes. How do we do it? We stop spending money the government doesn't have. Historically, Americans have paid a little less than one-fifth of their income in taxes to the federal government each year. But the government has spent more.
So our budget matches spending with income. Under our proposal, the government spends no more than it collects in revenue�or 19.1% of gross domestic product each year. As a result, we'll spend $4.6 trillion less over the next decade.

Our opponents will shout austerity, but let's put this in perspective. On the current path, we'll spend $46 trillion over the next 10 years. Under our proposal, we'll spend $41 trillion. On the current path, spending will increase by 5% each year. Under our proposal, it will increase by 3.4%. Because the U.S. economy will grow faster than spending, the budget will balance by 2023, and debt held by the public will drop to just over half the size of the economy.

Yet the most important question isn't how we balance the budget. It's why. A budget is a means to an end, and the end isn't a neat and tidy spreadsheet. It's the well-being of all Americans. By giving families stability and protecting them from tax hikes, our budget will promote a healthier economy and help create jobs. Most important, our budget will reignite the American Dream, the idea that anyone can make it in this country�

Last edited by BOWSINGER; 03/12/13.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
How fine it would have been to have lived in the USA during her ascent, rather than during her decline.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
By MANU RAJU | 3/12/13
Sen. Patty Murray�s new budget plan calls for raising tax revenues by nearly $1 trillion
while cutting spending by roughly the same amount over the next decade, according to people familiar with the proposal.

The Budget Committee chairwoman plans to brief fellow Democratic senators over the new proposal in a closed-door lunch Tuesday that President Barack Obama is also scheduled to attend. Committee deliberations will begin Wednesday, and the panel expects to vote on the plan Thursday before floor debate next week.
The plan is a non-binding blueprint that does not carry the force of the law, but it allows each party to lay out its vision and priorities for the coming fiscal year.
Democrats expect to remain largely united, and Murray anticipates having the support of the 11 other Democrats on her committee, giving her enough support to send the bill to the floor on a party-line basis.

But the tax figure could present a problem for a handful of red-state Democrats up for reelection who Republicans will undoubtedly say are supporting a $1 trillion tax hike if they back the plan.

Nevertheless, Democratic leaders believe the Murray plan will allow their party to show a major contrast with Rep. Paul Ryan�s budget and its calls for a significant overhaul of Medicare. And they expect to have the support of at least 50 Democrats on the floor to ensure they would be able to pass the first budget out of the Senate in four years.
The Murray plan would not balance the budget in a 10-year timeframe like the Ryan proposal would. But Murray�s 50-50 split between taxes and spending is supposed to be consistent with Obama�s call for a �balanced� approach for deficit reduction, something they argue voters largely support rather than the cuts-only approach backed by Republicans.

Obama plans to unveil his budget plan after Congress begins to debate the competing proposals, something that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said would �drop a bomb� on the budget process�

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/...-in-new-revenue-88736.html#ixzz2NLCDAuF8

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Don' get too excited...

The 10-year spending plan released Tuesday by Rep. Paul Ryan is virtually identical to last year�s GOP budget: It would defund President Obama�s health-care initiative, end guaranteed Medicare coverage for future retirees and sharply restrain spending on the poor, college students and federal workers.
The one big new development: Ryan�s latest blueprint would balance the budget, producing a small surplus in 2023 � a goal achieved not primarily through deeper spending cuts, but by the addition of more than $3.2 trillion in new tax revenue.

Ryan's new budget assumes full repeal of ObamaCare but quietly keeps the same amount of money as raised by ObamaCare's tax hikes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...1e2-b63f-f53fb9f2fcb4_story.html?hpid=z1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Let's see, hmmmmmmm... gov't's collecting more tax revenue than ever before - BUT, "Sen. Patty Murray�s new budget plan calls for raising tax revenues by nearly $1 trillion ..

Just can't get enough o' them taxes, can they???

Ryan's budget idea will go nowhere.. And getting the Senate back in '14's a pipe dream.. Plus, he'll probably vote to allow another debt ceiling increase - coming up shortly..

GOP = all talk/NO action/NO balls...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like a lot of other things his budget has some good points and some bad points.

That said his exemption for those over 55 is a deal breaker for me. To hell with that. If he wants to revamp medicare into a defined payment system then I say fine. It won't work worth a [bleep], but I'll go along with it. But he can take his exemption for one of his major power bases and if he asks I'll tell him exactly where to put it.

And the fact that his budget seems to theoretically achieve balance excluding interest on the debt is comical.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ryan's is all great in theory BUT it's not a practical solution. It will never pass.

Relying on repealing Obamacare to accomplish Ryan's plan takes away from any credibile and realistic solution to the debt crisis. The only bright side is it lays out the Republican's philosophy on how to balance the budget but I have serious doubts as to whether it's useful place to start in budget negotiations. We've already been there during the 2012 election process and these policy proposals failed.

I caught hell in another thread I started with my disapproval about Ryan's budget but sorry, that's the way I feel. I'm left with the impression, at this this point, that nothing is changing in DC and that's absolutely unacceptable to me. I'm sick and tired of the status quo.

Attack Obamacare on different fronts but don't make it an integral part of a budget proposal.

Flame suit on.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
De-fund Obamacare. No matter the odds of passage, I still like hearing it and I give Ryan credit for continuing to swing for the fences rather than just give up on America like every other politician.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by walt501
De-fund Obamacare. No matter the odds of passage, I still like hearing it and I give Ryan credit for continuing to swing for the fences rather than just give up on America like every other politician.
I don't think they've given up. I think they just don't give a rat's azz any more..

I agree - DEFUND that damned Obamacare.. That, in a nutshell, is a MUST!!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That said his exemption for those over 55 is a deal breaker for me. To hell with that. If he wants to revamp medicare into a defined payment system then I say fine. It won't work worth a [bleep], but I'll go along with it. But he can take his exemption for one of his major power bases and if he asks I'll tell him exactly where to put it.
So you think that those that are near retirement should have the rules changed for them?

[Linked Image from ]
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ryan voted against the balanced budget amendment, that makes him irrelevant.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A balanced budget amendment is a waste of time. First it is almost impossible to pass. Then Obama doesn't pay attention to our laws or the constitution.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
balanced budget amendment is a waste of time

That must be why ryan voted with the democrats, betraying 251 of his colleagues that voted for a balanced budget amendment.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Ryan voted against the balanced budget amendment, that makes him irrelevant.
He also voted for the last debt ceiling limit increase..

That's when I abandoned THAT two-masted schooner..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 55 invisible), 2,629 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,365
Posts18,488,166
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.