-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have maybe 18000 rounds +/- in my locker. I didn't really start out with the intention of hoarding but rather accumulated whenever I found a deal on ammo over the last 25 years. I have 3 categories of ammo -- plinking, varmint hunting and competition. I intend to keep buying whenever it seems appropriate and the deal seems right.

i probably shoot less then 1000 rounds per year, although only because the kids and work keep me busy. Otherwise it'd be 1000 per week in the spring and summer....

Regards,

Tom
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I don't fault anybody for buying ammo, seems to me it makes perfect sense to do so, considering what we have running the country these days and not just on the federal level. I would be doing it too, but I have a storage problem right now or the lack of, and well there is the employment as well, been really underemployed. But I still have 6000 rounds of 22LR on hand. Enough to keep me in squirrels for quit some time.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
25,000 to 30,000 rounds per year.I do enjoy plinking and small game hunting.

Terry

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by bluesman
25,000 to 30,000 rounds per year.I do enjoy plinking and small game hunting.

Terry
Damn! that's a bunch of shooting...what do you run all those rounds through?.......................Hb

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have 4 grandchildren - ages 16, 15, 14 and 12 and they'll go thru 1,000 rounds a session -- I spend more time reloading magazines than I do shooting. When the 1st started shooting I started buying Federal Auto-Match everytime I went to Wal-Mart -- usually 4 or 5 of the 325 cartridge boxes - to the point I bought a big heavy, lockable cabinet for storage.

I still have enough until the first 3 go off to college but I've been thiking of buying them each a bow and a couple dozen arrows if the prices don't drop soon.

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
2500 rds

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
amount of .22 I shoot is directly proportional to the guns I'm shooting it in. The MKIII auto can easily do a brick in one afternoon. The bolt action rifles rarely do over 100 in an afternoon.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I just ran most of a brick, roughly 00 rounds through my S&W M&P AR15-22 today. Talk about a great little rifle and an excellent training gun when set up to match a duty gun.

In regards to the OP, I shoot a heck of a lot of .22. Some years it varies but I would not want to venture a number. It obviously will be less this year. It is too bad, as I really need to brush up on my M4 skills and the M&P AR15-22 is a great way to do that.

Cheers!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I shoot, on an average, about 2,500 rounds off 22LR. The targets are Belding Ground Squirrels. Nothing can screw up a good alfalfa field faster. They got to pestilence levels last year, so I probably shot 10 bricks of Federal and American Eagle Bulk packs. Don't know what the levels will be this year, but an average year's supply of 2,500 is about what I try to keep around just in case.

I have not seen any 22LR for sale around here in months. I have no idea when I can get some more. I do have sort of an issue with the people who buy (or hoard) 50k at a time, or for that matter with the stores who sell that much to a few hoarders.

But anyway, when 22LR is again on the shelves, I may increase the backup number.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
I probably shot 1.5-2 cases of 22LR per year the last three years. I got rid of my 10/22 though and I am single loading my old bolt rifles now, so that should slow me down a little. That said, I will likely shoot 5-6K of 22LR this year. I received a 17HMR for Christmas and that may cut into some of the 22LR shooting as well.

I am not having too much trouble finding 22LR right now, I have plenty even after trading off and giving away more than 3 cases since the first of the year. The 22LR ammo made great trading stock, I didn't get into the inflated prices, or screwing over shooters game. I just let people know what I had and that I only wanted to trade.

I try to keep 2-3 years supply of every caliber I shoot or the supplies to reload them. I won't run out through this so-called "panic", but you better believe my new ammo stores will be 5-10 years for each caliber instead of 3 when prices and availability get back like they are supposed to be

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
At least a couple of thousand rounds a year. I shoot mostly 45 acp & 44 specials

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I suppose I usually shoot between 1500 and 3000 rds. per year..Bought a lot of ammo before I retired 15 years ago..As others have said, I keep adding to the stock supply when ever I happen to see a good price on ammo..as far as hoarding, I find it interesting that people accuse folks of hoarding ammo now..when it was plentiful and cheap, they could have purchased enough to last though difficult times..ammo and guns never get cheaper only more expensive..that thought lead me to make quanity buys when I had the money and the opportunity..others had the same chance...

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
people who have no 22 ammo are idiots plain and simple. they all had time to stock up over the years but were too dumb to do so. let them piss and moan all they want after all it is there own fault. The people who have ammo now were the people who did pick up a brick here and there and are out shooting instead of crying like little babies from their own stupidity. that said I shoot maybe 1500 rounds a year thru a Winchester 52 single shot it sure takes awhile to burn thru the ammo but you hit what you shoot at. maybe a 100 rounds used on vermin in a win 63.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I picked up a brick or two every now and then when times were good, and times are still good:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 03/17/13.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could become fairly wealthy selling some of that stuff at current prices. But then you'd feel kinda nekkid, without such a perfectly suitable stash?

smirk

Some years I shoot hundreds of rounds of 22 rimfire. Some years, thousands.

I'd hate to want a "thousands" year and have to settle for one in the hundreds, because I'd dozed off and wasn't prepared.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by dubePA
You could become fairly wealthy selling some of that stuff at current prices. But then you'd feel kinda nekkid, without such a perfectly suitable stash?

It's not really for sale, but I would consider any outlandish offers that came my way...and trust me, NOBODY wants me "kinda nekkid". Property values would plummet in a 10-mile radius.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 03/17/13.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Several who shoot in our club's weekly CMP indoor shoots, have been making offers for some of my Federal Auto Match. I've decided to keep it.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I picked up a brick or two every now and then when times were good, and times are still good:

[Linked Image]

grin Looks like you won't be doing without.

After moving to the country where I shoot from my front door I go through 5000 or so rounds per year. Recently bought a couple more Target 22s and getting low on the good stuff. frown

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buying ammo is a little like saving for retirement . Please don't wake up about 55 and say I'm thinking of retirement but have not done any planning. You will really be crying when your friends are retired and you're still working. Are those of us who saved our money hoarding it or good planning. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Buying ammo is a little like saving for retirement . Please don't wake up about 55 and say I'm thinking of retirement but have not done any planning. You will really be crying when your friends are retired and you're still working. Are those of us who saved our money hoarding it or good planning. Hasbeen

Exactly! I have not been "hoarding", I have always known that someday money would be tight, ammo would become expensive and that the dark shadow of politics could make it unavailable. For the past 25 years I have been stocking up on ammo and components. My pantry is full of food, too. I don't consider myself a "prepper"...more like a Boy Scout, I think. Be prepared.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 03/18/13.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1936M71, 49 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 563 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,444
Posts18,507,837
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.