-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image] I don't see a section for bear hunting topics, so I'll put this hear for interested bear hunters. Two years ago I wrote a version of this story about my buddy's brown bear on Kodiak Island for Sports Afield, but recently did a re-write for a new magazine called Bear Hunters Online. (It's owned and edited by long-time outdoor writer Bill Vaznis. Some of you who know the old rascal might be surprised that he's so up with the times, because it's one of the new digital magazines -- strictly online.)

It has a nominal cost of only 99� per issue, but this one is a free sample issue and you can just click here to go to it. And it's the third issue, so it looks like it will make it.

I don't get anything for posting this, but for those who aspire to a brown bear hunt some day, I just thought you might want to know about a guy who had big success on one giant bear. (The article starts on page 63.)

Steve.

Attention all kids, and grown-up kids! The only real obstacle to fulfilling your dreams is the limits of your imagination. For proof, let me tell you a story about my buddy�s �
31-Day Brown Bear Odyssey
by Steve Sorensen

In the age when Tommy and I grew up a young hunter�s unrestrained imagination often included the allure of hunting the legendary Kodiak brown bear and the drama of taking the highest animal on the food chain. That�s why, while Tommy and I were wrangling scraps of lumber up into a big red oak, he declared, �Someday I�m going to Alaska. I�m going to get one of those big Kodiak bears.�

Any passers-by would have thought we were building a treehouse. What we were really doing was dreaming about future adventures, and pledging to keep the promises we made to ourselves.

For most kids, �someday� never comes. Dreams die amidst the mundane, and grown-ups trim their imaginations to what they call realism. They become risk-averse. Easier paths unfold and the daily grind sidetracks their more adventurous ambitions.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Well, after 5 min I was able to pull up a couple pages on an I- pad, but couldn't get more pages to pull up.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I know they've had some problems with iPads, but it comes right in on my iPad. Sorry 'bout that.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Darn.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
When I was reading the article I had to expand the size. In that form I could not progress to the next page. When I contracted to the original size, then I could progress to the next page.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

How does one subscribe ?
Am I correct assuming this e-mag is all about bear hunting?

By the way, good story of your friend, and one very nice bear !

smile

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slopshot1
How does one subscribe ?
Am I correct assuming this e-mag is all about bear hunting?

By the way, good story of your friend, and one very nice bear !
smile

1. That's a good question. It looks to me like anywhere you go on the home page (www.BearHuntersOnline.com) takes you to the free issue. In fact up on the right corner there is a little dog-ear that says "New Offer!" You can go there and it says "Subscribe Now," but it looks like that just takes you to copies of the first two issues. There is a "Contact" page where you'll find an email address (subscriptions@bearhuntersonline.com). I'd say send an email and ask how to buy a subscription.

2. Yes, you are correct in assuming this magazine is only about bear hunting.

3. Thanks for the compliment.

Steve.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That was well done.
Great photos.

Thanks!

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very good story and gorgeous bear! I like the idea of e-mags, less garbage and more convenient to read.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ranger1
Very good story and gorgeous bear! I like the idea of e-mags, less garbage and more convenient to read.

Yeah, but maybe a little less portable to the bathroom.

Steve.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the reply and help !

Off to the RH corner to see if I can navigate from there.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I just read the Sports Afield version today. I liked the 378 bee with 300 grain bitterroot. I was disappointed that the article did not show what the recovered bullet.

Dink

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Heads up on the subscription.

3/13/2013 10:33:07 PM JS/Kryptik.AIC trojan
connection terminated - quarantined

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1minute, 1badf350, 2500HD, 257 roberts, 22250rem, 12savage, 50 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,294
Posts18,505,315
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.