Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
redneck. i have stopped the use of fingernail polish...but why is it worse?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

+1
Inquiring minds want to know.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Because heat won't loosen it.. At least, even with red locktite, heat will allow removal.. Fingernail polish anchors 'em and 9 times outta 10 the only way to remove 'em is to drill/mill off the head(s), remove the base - then mill/fill off the stub and drill out the remaining stub and then chase/repair the threads in the receiver..

A few years ago, after a couple base heads broken off upon removal attempts at a local store (and they couldn't figure out why) I asked what they'd used to anchor the screws. When he replied "fingernail polish" I told him to quit using that crap unless he wants to pay me $40/hole to remove the stubs/chase the threads..

Guess what? They quit usin' that crap... Now they have a new(er) clerk who, I found out a few days ago, was usin' that same stuff and (of course) a screw head broke off on a brand-spankin' new rifle and he couldn't remove the remaining stub.. When I couldn't make it budge either I called him up and asked what he used. "fingernail polish", sez he.. I told him then and there to quit using that damned stuff on firearms and leave it for his wife... mad

Then I had to mill off the top of the stud to within .002 of the receiver, center-drill the stub, finish drill with a #31 (6-48 screws) and then chase the threads with a tap..

Cost him $40... If he'd have used even Red locktite, the cost would have been about $5-10, tops...

They use it again, they're gonna pay - again...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Mickey,
Here's a tip that's worked VERY well for me, using a hex bit for a powered driver, use one of those rechargeable impact drivers and put some weight on it and give the trigger a little 'burp' in the stuck screw. I've fought with some base screws in the past and one day I noticed my impact gun sitting there from a little construction project... It works as slick as anything I've ever tried and the screws will back right out. I've drilled off enough screw heads to know what a pain it can be, but this really works!

Shoot straight, shoot often
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by msalm
Mickey,
Here's a tip that's worked VERY well for me, using a hex bit for a powered driver, use one of those rechargeable impact drivers and put some weight on it and give the trigger a little 'burp' in the stuck screw. I've fought with some base screws in the past and one day I noticed my impact gun sitting there from a little construction project... It works as slick as anything I've ever tried and the screws will back right out. I've drilled off enough screw heads to know what a pain it can be, but this really works!

I'd never heard of a battery powered impact wrench. I'll check 'em out. Many thanks! smile Do they resemble an ordinary cordless drill? Found them in price all over the place.

Last edited by MColeman; 03/12/13.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mickey, I took off the back wheels of my 150 Massey Ferguson with one of these. I really like it. miles

impact wrench

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got to thinking (dangerous I know) but he might have been talking about a hammer drill that is used to drill cement. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have loosened fingernail polished screws with acetone. With its low viscosity it works its way into the threads and softens the lacquer. But since acetone evaporates so quickly it's drip, drip, drip on the threads for maybe 20 minutes or so. Too much time for a gun shop but feasible for a hobbyist without much machinery.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Amatuer here with a trivia question.

I had heard a long time ago that regular bar soap would do the same as fingernail polish or LocTite. Is that true? I never tried it.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lubricant lessens friction between the threads so more of the torque goes to pre-stressing the screw. Most torque figures are given for dry threads so if you use the same value for lubricated threads you overstress the screw and threads.

For small screws in non-critical applications I shouldn't think soap would help, you can easily overstress tiny screws without it.

Should note that Henkel says Loctite acts as a lubricant and adjust torque accordingly.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you are going to use Loc-tite on stuff you have to pay attention to the color and what it is meant to be used on. Great stuff if used with care. Loc-tite 222 is the stuff to use if you feel it is needed on small screws with fine threads (under 1/4"). #242 is the blue and a little more aggressive but still removable. Of course nothing beats paying attention to properly torquing fasteners by size, with or without the use of a locker or sealant. The red stuff is removable with heat and prayer (or cursing!) and can be a pretty serious locker if it was applied clean to close tolerances.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by okie
Of course nothing beats paying attention to properly torquing fasteners by size, with or without the use of a locker or sealant.
Don't forget the receiving material - i.e., some receivers are aluminum.. Attempting to torque screws to familiar specs will thoroughly strip the threads in aluminum receivers.. That's another can o' worms I run into from time to time - the local store that, um, forgets... laugh laugh
The red stuff is removable with heat and prayer (or cursing!) and can be a pretty serious locker if it was applied clean to close tolerances.
Yes.. And it's only to be used in very rare cases IMHO..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I guess the proper term might be impact driver. Mine is a Dewalt 18V driver as part of one of those multiple cordless tool kits. We used it mostly for putting in sheet metal screws for the roof tin when I was building my shop.

http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/dewalt-heavy-duty-14-4v-1-4-cordless-impact-driver-kit

it would be this one, only 18V.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a Craftsman 19.2v cordless impact wrench for several years but I never would have dreamed of using it to remove scope base screws. If I can break a bit with just my old hands I would think that the impact wrench would destroy them with ease.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've had some base screws, even just the allen head ones that already had started to round out, just pop right out with that little driver. It was a last resort for me, and now it tends to be the 2nd resort...if it doesn't come out easily by hand, I pop it out with that imact and it hasn't failed yet (knock on wood of course).

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mine is a 1/2 inch drive but I can get some reducers that will let me use 1/4 inch bits. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

You refer to yours as "that little driver" but mine will take the lug nuts off my tractor. Is it too big? I see Dewalt makes a 1/4 drive impact wrench.

Last edited by MColeman; 03/14/13.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
It may be too much, the little drivers I'm talking about are pretty small ones with just a small socket for the hex shank hand tools. They'll take any of the standard screwdriver bits from Brownells and such. I'd be a little leary of a powerful lug impact wrench.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MColeman
One of the most aggravating things a gunsmith/blacksmith runs in to is when the owner of a rifle puts his scope bases on with thread locker and the gunsmith can't get them out. I broke 2 torx bits this morning trying to do just that. I even heated one with a soldering gun for several minutes with no luck.

Some gun owners must think the screws are holding the drive wheels of Kenworth together.

Ya think.... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1minute, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.