Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
i have used a pair of nikon monarch 3 the past 2 deer seasons and theyre nice binos but once i upgraded my scope to a swarovski it was easy to see how much better the swaro glass is ...mine are 8x42...dont wanna buy swaro binos due to the price but what is something comparable? was looking at possibly the meopta meostar HD binos...does anyone have these? the nikons just dont do that well once the dark sets in and seem kind of grainy

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
swaro scl, very nice.Your right about the Nikon.I did a side by side,granted the Nikons were not premium(CRS)but the Swaro's blew them away in low light.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I found a used Swarovski 8x30 SLC in the classifieds here last year and could not be happier. Beautiful glass.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by killindeer
i have used a pair of nikon monarch 3 the past 2 deer seasons and theyre nice binos but once i upgraded my scope to a swarovski it was easy to see how much better the swaro glass is ...mine are 8x42...dont wanna buy swaro binos due to the price but what is something comparable? was looking at possibly the meopta meostar HD binos...does anyone have these? the nikons just dont do that well once the dark sets in and seem kind of grainy

Buy once, cry once. You'll waste more money in the long run chasing what you really want than you would just buying it and getting it over with.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd take a hard look at Minox myself.

Something else to consider is a Swaro porro prism, which will give most any roof prism a run for the money and are half the price of a top end glass.They are special order through Doug at Cameraland.I have used the 7x42 up in Alaska and they are the bomb.Also owned a 10x40 and honestly ask myself sometimes why I ever bothered with roof prisms.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Light12
I found a used Swarovski 8x30 SLC in the classifieds here last year and could not be happier. Beautiful glass.

^This^ you just can't beat the quality of Swarvoskis !
Trust me, I've tried every thing out there & always come back to my Swarovski 8x30's

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have several excellent binoculars but I think that the Zeiss Nite Owls are hard to beat. I use them primarily as a pickup glass. I also have Leica Geovid 10X42 HDs and like them alot. They have a little bit much too power for an old man like me but I get along. I had a set of Leica Geovid 8X56's and I wish that I had them back. I have done the Swaro scene and I am not an avid believer that they are better or even as good. The best for the buck is still Bausch & Lomb Zephyers from the 50's and 60's. They are still 90% of the best glasses built today and much cheaper.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm very happy with the B1 Meostar 7x42. They're a bit heavy, but image makes up for it. WIDE FOV!!! which is very easy on the eyes. Take down the eyecups and you're looking through massive oculars.
Depending on your needs, you might check out the Cabela's Euro HDs for about $1k sans coupons...
Good luck!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Buy a used pair of swarovski's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always used cheap low grade binocs. Usually low end Bushnell or Nikon. Last year I upgraded to a set of Minox BV 10x42 that I got from Doug at CamerlandNY. I couldn't be happier.

One day I'll upgrade to a high end pair of Swaro/Zeiss but for now these are very good glass at an affordable price.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Have been using old Zeiss ClassiC 10x40 for 10 years or so, during that time I purchased a set of Zeiss Victory's 7x42 and Leica Duovid 8-12x42 but both have gone down the road and I went back to my ClassiC's. I think my next set to try will be a pair of Swarovski EL 8x32..

Ted
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

+ whatever the count is up to

Life is just one damned thing after another
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by killindeer

Buy once, cry once. You'll waste more money in the long run chasing what you really want than you would just buying it and getting it over with.

That is the truth. Buy Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss, which ever model YOU like the best.

I myself bought Swarovski SCL.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I bought a pair of Swarovski ELs in 10x42 about 10 years ago and they have been all over the world with me.

At the SCI Show in Reno, I looked at the the new Leicas with the built in Rangefinder and ordered them from Cameraland.

The Leicas have not yet arrived, but my wife suggested that I not get rid of the Swarovskis until I know that I like the Leicas.

I'll let you all know when I have had a chance to compare.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by cal74
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

+ whatever the count is up to

yep

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned many high end bino's through the years but I think I like my current Swarovski SLC neu 8x30's as good as anything I've owned and that includes a pair Zeiss victory FL 8x32's...............Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Buy once, cry once. You'll waste more money in the long run chasing what you really want than you would just buying it and getting it over with."

NOW! THAT, is a great statement! It's what I am always thinking but that sums it up pretty well!

"I will remain what I am until the day I die- A HUNTER"......Sitting Bull
I have a set of SWARO SLC for years but I had mine fog. Not once but twiceon two diffrernt pair. I had to send them back twice . First time they sent me a new set. Then the new set fogged. Second time they repaired the set. All at no cost. Awsome clarity but if they fog they arn't worth 2 dead flies!. I ended up using a cheap set of Nikons that year.

My leupold VX3 scope has been through everything those two set of binculars has and never fogged!

Based on my personal experiance, I would have a difficult time spending the money again on any SWAR product.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
About 25 years ago, I bought Zeiss 10x40. A they were not properly aligned and drove me crazy trying to use them. Dealer gave me a full refund. A year or so later, the dealer had a good introduction price on the Swarovski SLC (8x30). I liked them.

Two years in a row something came loose inside. Likely the glue or whatever they used to keep everything in place. First trip was to the USA repair facility. Second time, back to Austria for a full rebuild. No additional problems whatsoever until last year. I broke the diopter adjustment. I sent them back to the repair facility. About a month later I got back what appeared to be a new glass, except it had the same serial number. They must have gone completely through the binocular. OUTSTANDING service.

SIL liked mine so well that he sold his Zeiss and got the SLC about 7-8 years ago. If I were younger, I would upgrade to the EL, but at 75, there is not much point in that. My eyes are no longer good enough to appreciate the difference.

The old adage that buying the best never disappoints is pretty much spot on. If there are problems, the best will take care of it. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
From what I've seen, there are alot of really good binocular in the $1000 range. If the Meoptas look good to you, I suggest you buy the same thing from Cabela's, they call it the Euro HD, and try them out. If you aren't happy with them, they will take'em back and refund your money the last I heard.
I will never buy anything from Swarovski in the way of binoculars. Considering what they cost and their record for fogging, I expect alot more than that for that kind of money.
I do have a couple of Leicas. One is a 12X50 which I use alot for long distance glassing. I doubt I'll ever buy another.
If you want something lighter than the Cabela's Euro, you might consider the Pentax ED's. The 8X43 I checked out was every bit as good as my Leica BA, 8X42. E

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1badf350, 260Remguy, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 57 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,904
Posts18,518,553
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.