-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can tell a lot about a person by observing his dog, and many of the arseholes that own pit bulls aren't fit to raise guppies.

Insurance companies will not insure your house if you own certain dog breeds - pit bulls being one of them - or if they do, they will raise your rate considerably. Perhaps landlords should require renter's insurance, or is that government overreach?

Have an A1 Day!
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Gotcha. There are a lot of pits bread for grabbing hogs, no doubt. I would like to get into that, but I could never send a dog I cared about to grab a large pig, and I wouldn't own a dog that I didn't care for.
I feel exactly the same way.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Cheesehunter
You can tell a lot about a person by observing his dog, and many of the arseholes that own pit bulls aren't fit to raise guppies.

Insurance companies will not insure your house if you own certain dog breeds - pit bulls being one of them - or if they do, they will raise your rate considerably. Perhaps landlords should require renter's insurance, or is that government overreach?

I don't want to register my guns, why would I want to register my dog?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser

I don't think anyone is disputing the physical potential of a pit bull, if that is what you're getting at. I just think that it is ignorant to generalize the entire breed as uncontrollable man eaters. I used to have a fear for the breed myself, until I actualy spent some time around a few. I have seen good pits and bad. One looks at the owners is usually all it takes to get a good idea of any dogs demeanor. Pits can make some very good family dogs. If you don't like pits, don't get one. If you have a dog running through your property and you want to shoot it, that's your poragative.

How do I teach my 5 year old to tell the difference if one gets lose and he's out playing in the yard?

I'm not a parent yet, but if it were my boy I would tell him to come inside if he saw any strange dog come into the yard and get his mama or papa to take care of it.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
TRH,any idea what your dog is mixed with? She looks pretty pity except for the large ears. How heavy is she? Mine is 60 lbs and was the runt. Her brothers and sister are closer to 75-80.
I guess if her ears had been cropped, no one would guess she had anything else in her.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Is that a new dog STX or is that the one you have had? That pup is perty stinkin cute.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I'm not a parent yet, but if it were my boy I would tell him to come inside if he saw any strange dog come into the yard and get his mama or papa to take care of it.

You'll end up shooting that dog if you have kids.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by stxhunter
[Linked Image]
Cute pup.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Maybe some other molliser breed?

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Maybe some other molliser breed?
If there's anything else in her, it's something with prick ears, like maybe an Australian Cattle Dog.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Or she could be a pure Pitbull that just happens to have ears that stand up straight.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
we have a bull dog pit mix smart kind gentle we treat her as one of the family never had a single problem people walk up too her in her own yard me and mt teenage sons can take food literally out of her mouth still no problem so i would have too say that a lot has too do with the owners i am not saying they are all good dogs so too speak and i am positive that if anyone tried too harm the family she would put up a good fight they are stgrong and stubborn no doubt. it seems that if they are trained well and treated properly they are good dogs.would i leave her unsupervised around small kids OH HELL NO but that can be said for all dogs.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by deflave

You'll end up shooting that dog if you have kids.

Travis

My dog is no stranger to children. My girl has a 4 year old daughter and Penny and Lilly absolutely love eachother. Having said that, I'm smart enough and proactive enough to supervise them when they are together. The problem with kids and any dog is that children can often become to assertive/aggressive/etc with the dog and not know when a dog is getting aggitated. I have never seen Lilly abuse Penny and her mother and I have been very conscious of making sure that we teach Lilly how to treat and handle dogs.

In short, children require their own special attention from their parents. If you're a lousy parent, there is an endless list of things that can harm your child and the chances of your kid getting hurt are much higher if you don't take care that it doesn't.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 03/15/13.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
7 week old new pup, Petey needed company when i'm away at work.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cheesehunter

I don't want to register my guns, why would I want to register my dog?

Who said anything about registration?
You're liable for any damage caused by your dog, and you can insure yourself against that. Simple transfer of risk, like any insurance. I simply pointed out that you'll pay more for a pit, than you would for a poodle.
Yes, pit bulls are the red corvette of the dog world smile

Have an A1 Day!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Understood, but I am no stranger to owning things that have the potential to hurt someone. Guns, fast muscle care with no abs 4 wheel drum brakes, pit bull, etc..

You're right about the insurance, but an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. Simply stated, keep your business in order and you will be fine.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter
7 week old new pup, Petey needed company when i'm away at work.

That's awesome. Is this one a boy or girl?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I don't think anyone is disputing the physical potential of a pit bull, if that is what you're getting at. I just think that it is ignorant to generalize the entire breed as uncontrollable man eaters. I used to have a fear for the breed myself, until I actualy spent some time around a few. I have seen good pits and bad. One looks at the owners is usually all it takes to get a good idea of any dogs demeanor. Pits can make some very good family dogs. If you don't like pits, don't get one. If you have a dog running through your property and you want to shoot it, that's your poragative.

How do I teach my 5 year old to tell the difference if one gets lose and he's out playing in the yard?

Should he run in before or after he gets mauled? Hopefully he's not busy playing and looking the other way.

I'm not worried about your dog so much. I'm guessing you are responsible and wouldn't have a dog that could get loose and cause harm. But they all look just alike, and therin lies the problem. Wouldn't it be better if we just let the breed die? If you dont want a dog that is aggressive or mean, why not get a poodle instead?

Last edited by smalljawbasser; 03/15/13.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Should he run in before or after he gets mauled? Hopefully he's not busy playing and looking the other way.

I'm not worried about your dog so much. I'm guessing you are responsible and wouldn't have a dog that could get loose and cause harm. But they all look just alike, and therin lies the problem. Wouldn't it be better if we just let the breed die? If your dog isn't aggressive or mean, why not get a poodle instead?

I understand your fear, but I would hope that you understand how much I like this breed. The debate is similar to any gun debate. We don't need any new gun laws, but would be much better off punishing violent offenders in a much more strict manner. I think the same should be true of dog breeders. My neighbors would make a perfect example. Animal control is familiar with them and any half-wit knows what they are doing. Do you see my point? Again, I understand what you're feeling, but I whole-heartedly disagree with exterminating any dog breed that has the potential to harm your, or anybody elses child.

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10Glocks, 257 roberts, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 257Bob, 55 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,595
Posts18,511,270
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.