Home
woman attacked by her own pit bulls loses both arms,an eye and a lot of blood.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/03/westwego_woman_lost_eye_ear_an.html#incart_m-rpt-2
hater
Kinda like a ghetto mom saying "He was such a good boy." about her 17 year old drug dealing son killed in a shootout with police.
went by our local kill shelter the other day, one of the biggest and busiest in the SE USA.

a lot of good dogs, and a ton of pitbull types incarcerated. some with ears and some with ears chopped. in fact they were beautiful. i wouldn't bring one of those beasts home and turn loose in the house for a thousand bucks.

there's no tellin' what kind of disposition they might have, and their jaws are so strong.
Judging from the neighborhood, these folks were likely model citizens who'd never encourage human-directed aggression in their dogs for the purpose of deterring burglary or nosy police. smirk
Why is it always them dang bassets hounds?
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Judging from the neighborhood, these folks were likely model citizens who'd never encourage human-directed aggression in their dogs for the purpose of deterring burglary or nosy police. smirk

How about you TRH. Have you encouraged human-directed aggression in your pits?
i find it interesting that the most violent among us tend to prefer the same characteristic in their dogs. Those same dogs (pit bulls) you will NEVER see used as working dogs as they cannot be controlled.
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
When a Basset Hound goes bad, there might be a bite followed by a retreat, not a determined attack.

As a percentage of their numbers, all factors being equal, Pitbulls are less likely than the vast majority of breeds to inappropriately attack a human being. When they do decide to attack, however, they do so with great determination (surpassing any other breed) and very effectively, thus the more severe consequences to the victims.
Originally Posted by Wtxj

How about you TRH. Have you encouraged human-directed aggression in your pits?
Never. Not necessary, due to the fear their mere appearance evokes in those with evil intentions.

That notwithstanding, there are correct and incorrect ways to train a dog in protection work. Your typical neighborhood thugs, however, tend towards the incorrect methods, i.e., creating a generalized tendency to be human-aggressive, rather than a response to command after establishing dominance on the part of the trainer and all family members.

PS I participated in the protection training of my Doberman back in the early 1990s, and it was with the aid of professional trainers, so it was done by the correct method.
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
i find it interesting that the most violent among us tend to prefer the same characteristic in their dogs. Those same dogs (pit bulls) you will NEVER see used as working dogs as they cannot be controlled.
Sorry, TAK, but anyone with actual experience with the breed understands your statement to be utterly absurd.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
hater

I do hate pit bulls

all people must have Danes or Labs

Or

German Shepherd
Their breeding is little different from those of working Jack Russel Terriers, just on a larger scale. Were Jack Russel Terriers larger, they'd be just as destructive on the rare occasions they attacked human beings. See, for example, this.

Sorry, TAK, but anyone with actual experience with the breed understands your statement to be utterly absurd.

Oh, I forgot about all those bomb sniffing pit bulls in Iraq, and all those in use at the Nuke sites.
I am glad you started this thread Steve NO , otherwise TRH might have gone wanting for something to do today.

Mike
we live to serve

Oh, I forgot about all those bomb sniffing pit bulls in Iraq, and all those in use at the Nuke sites.
It's not because they're not completely capable of it.

Those pits aren't so tough.

The guy down the street lost another one to a 17 grain bullet at 150 yards out of a 17M2.

Now if the other 6 would come the 1 1/2 miles to my house.

By the way after 2 days he looked better fed than when he was alive.
When a Basset Hound goes bad, there might be a bite followed by a retreat, not a determined attack.

As a percentage of their numbers, all factors being equal, Pitbulls are less likely than the vast majority of breeds to inappropriately attack a human being. When they do decide to attack, however, they do so with great determination (surpassing any other breed) and very effectively, thus the more severe consequences to the victims.

Show me the numbers.
Originally Posted by temmi
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
hater

I do hate pit bulls

all people must have Danes or Labs

Or

German Shepherd

actually, anyone NOT owning a Scottish Terrier is suspect to me. laugh
Another never once has he been aggressive story.

crazy

Very unstable animals that seem to emulate their owners. GW
x2

stumpy
I've related the death and destruction wrought by those infernal dogs before so I won't do so again, but if EVER one moves into my neighborhood and gets loose, I'm not going with a light rifle:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by MILES58

Show me the numbers.
I'm offering you my expert judgment on the matter, based on real experience, and I have no doubt about it based on that. A study would require placing thousands of young puppies of various breeds into qualified homes at random and then following them. Alternatively, you could use the sociological method of research, and search backwards for your qualified sample groups. But I already know what the results of such studies would be from my own experience. The difference in temperament is extreme, i.e., the pure pits I've owned, raised from young puppies, have been so superior in temperament (regarding stability around and towards human beings) to any other breed I've dealt with as to eliminate any doubt as to the above judgment, and I've observed the same from Pitbulls similarly raised by others in proper homes.

Keep in mind that the overwhelmingly vast majority of Pitbulls kept in normal homes as pets never, in their entire lives, cause injury to anyone. You folks are falling victim to sensationalism.
Originally Posted by NeBassman
I can't imagine, in today's litigious society, why someone would tell police that their dog has never before shown any aggression towards human beings. smirk
I can't imagine, in today's litigious society, why someone would own one of those pieces of [bleep].
Never. Not necessary, due to the fear their mere appearance evokes in those with evil intentions.

Laughin'...

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave

Laughin'...

Travis
It's the truth. I see it all the time.

Laughin'...

Travis
It's the truth. I see it all the time.

You see people with evil intentions exhibit fear from your dog?

Travis
Originally Posted by mdv1state
I can't imagine, in today's litigious society, why someone would own one of those pieces of [bleep].
they scare away possible intruders by being so sweet. They just look mean. grin
My favorite baby killer.
[Linked Image]

You will notice her soft and shiny coat which is maintained with the blood of small children. Luckily I live across the street from and elementary school, which provides Penny dog with a steady supply of sustenance.

Laughin'...

Travis

My pup is more of a people magnet than anything. Having said that, I wouldn't want to kick in a door or window after hearing her on the other side. Caution: Intruders will be licked.

Dog Attack Deaths and Maimings, U.S. & Canada,
September 1982 to December 31, 2012

The combination of large molosser breeds, including pit bulls, rottweilers, presa canarios, cane corsos, mastiffs, dogo argentinos, fila brasieros, and their mixes:

79% of attacks that induce bodily harm
72% of attacks to children
85% of attack to adults
69% of attacks that result in fatalities
77% that result in maiming

dog bite stats for the blind

I wish the goldens that my family has had would have been as easy to train as the pit that I have now. To be fair though, I have learned a few things about dogs along the way to this dog that I have now. I doubt I will ever (willingly) be without a pit again. I pray that when Feinstein gets done with high capacity magazines she doesn't come after my dogs of mass destruction.

I'm offering you my expert judgment on the matter, based on real experience, and I have no doubt about it based on that. A study would require placing thousands of young puppies of various breeds into qualified homes at random and then following them.

I'm sorry, but you made a blanket statement that you have nothing in your pocket to back up.

NOTHING!

That makes you a sorry ass douche that's talking out his ass.

Go away and find the numbers or STFU with the pit bulls are cuddly little critters just raised by bad people [bleep]. You and every bleeping apologist for those things ought to be euthanized with them.

What [bleep] part of unprovoked attacks are not part of most breed's character can't you get into you feeble brain? What part of rational behavior ie bite and back off can't you comprehend? With what we understand, normal people's first reaction to any aggression from a pit bull whatsoever is that the dog should die right now. A setter barking at someone is an entirely different proposition than a dog that may well go into attack mode. You might be stupid enough to believe that all these reports of unprovoked attacks are either false or just result from dogs raised by bad people with evil intent. Don't be so [bleep] stupid and insulting as to think that the rest of us are that [bleep] dumb though.

Any pit that shows even the least sign of aggression for any reason whatsoever ought to be killed immediately. No discussion. No second chance. No equivocating over how aggressive or why. Until you [bleep] who keep apologizing for the breed clean it up there damn well ought be no tolerance.
This is a perfect answer

Citation: PAYETTE COUNTY, ID., COUNTY CODE � 5-5-11 (2007)

Summary: It is unlawful for any person to own, possess, keep, exercise control over, maintain, harbor, transport, buy or sell a pit bull within Payette County, Idaho, with exceptions for police, humane societies, and dogs registered prior to the date of enactment. Owners of such dogs must provide proof of rabies vaccination, sterilization, keep $1 million liability insurance, have a a microchip ID chip implanted in the dog, and pay an annual pit bull license fee. The dog must also be kept confined with a �Pit Bull Dog� sign posted on the premises. Dogs whose owners are not in compliance are subject to impoundment and destruction. Additionally, a pit bull exempt from the ban is subsumed to be a dangerous dog

7. Any dog that is an American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, Presa Canario (Canary Island dog), Cane Corso (Italian mastiff), Dogo Argentino (Argentinean mastiff), Fila Brazileiro (Brazilian mastiff), Japanese Tosa (Japanese mastiff) or any dog exhibiting those distinguishing characteristics which substantially conform to the standards established by the American Kennel Club or United Kennel Club for any of the above breeds, if any, or any mixed breed of dog which contains as an element of its breeding the breed of American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, Presa Canario (Canary Island dog), Cane Corso (Italian mastiff), Dogo Argentino (Argentinean mastiff), Fila Brazileiro (Brazilian mastiff), or Japanese Tosa (Japanese mastiff) as to be identifiable as partially of the breed of American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, Presa Canario (Canary Island dog), Cane Corso (Italian mastiff), Dogo Argentino (Argentinian mastiff), Fila Brazileiro (Brazilian mastiff), or Japanese Tosa (Japanese mastiff) by a qualified veterinarian duly licensed as such by the state of Idaho; or

http://www.animallaw.info/local/lousidpayettecountybsl.htm
Originally Posted by 700LH

The combination of large molosser breeds, including pit bulls, rottweilers, presa canarios, cane corsos, mastiffs, dogo argentinos, fila brasieros, and their mixes:

85% of attack to adults

I've been bitten twice by dogs in my life. One was an ill tempered springer spaniel that we picked up from the dog pound. The other was from a beagle, but I was a stupid kid and deserved that one. Niether of these bites was reported to anyone, so that goes to show how your statistics are not scientific (76% of all statistics are made up.). But, there is no denying that when a pit does attack, chances are high that things will be bad. They are a very determined and powerful breed. This situation is very similar to a nutcase that shoots up a school. Most people are good. Many good people own 30 round mags. When somebody goes crazy with a rifle/pistol made ready with a high cap magazine, things can be very bad. So should we ban high cap mags? Should we shoot any person that we know to own a high cap magazine when they stroll by your driveway? Of course not.
This is a perfect answer

Citation: PAYETTE COUNTY, ID., COUNTY CODE � 5-5-11 (2007)

Summary: It is unlawful for any person to own, possess, keep, exercise control over, maintain, harbor, transport, buy or sell a pit bull within Payette County, Idaho, with exceptions for police, humane societies, and dogs registered prior to the date of enactment. Owners of such dogs must provide proof of rabies vaccination, sterilization, keep $1 million liability insurance, have a a microchip ID chip implanted in the dog, and pay an annual pit bull license fee. The dog must also be kept confined with a �Pit Bull Dog� sign posted on the premises. Dogs whose owners are not in compliance are subject to impoundment and destruction. Additionally, a pit bull exempt from the ban is subsumed to be a dangerous dog

7. Any dog that is an American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, Presa Canario (Canary Island dog), Cane Corso (Italian mastiff), Dogo Argentino (Argentinean mastiff), Fila Brazileiro (Brazilian mastiff), Japanese Tosa (Japanese mastiff) or any dog exhibiting those distinguishing characteristics which substantially conform to the standards established by the American Kennel Club or United Kennel Club for any of the above breeds, if any, or any mixed breed of dog which contains as an element of its breeding the breed of American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, Presa Canario (Canary Island dog), Cane Corso (Italian mastiff), Dogo Argentino (Argentinean mastiff), Fila Brazileiro (Brazilian mastiff), or Japanese Tosa (Japanese mastiff) as to be identifiable as partially of the breed of American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, Presa Canario (Canary Island dog), Cane Corso (Italian mastiff), Dogo Argentino (Argentinian mastiff), Fila Brazileiro (Brazilian mastiff), or Japanese Tosa (Japanese mastiff) by a qualified veterinarian duly licensed as such by the state of Idaho; or

http://www.animallaw.info/local/lousidpayettecountybsl.htm

So you're a nanny state liberal. Good to know.
When's the last headline you read "Beagle kills woman"

WakeTFU
Golden Retrievers have maimed and killed several people. Google it. For the record, I love goldens, a lot. You are just like your friend Dianne from California.

85% of attack to adults

Its not fair to throw facts into the face of BS.
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
My favorite baby killer.
[Linked Image]

You will notice her soft and shiny coat which is maintained with the blood of small children. Luckily I live across the street from and elementary school, which provides Penny dog with a steady supply of sustenance.
She's a beauty.
I've been bitten twice by dogs in my life. One was an ill tempered springer spaniel that we picked up from the dog pound. The other was from a beagle, but I was a stupid kid and deserved that one.
I've been bit twice, myself, once by a German Shepherd and once by a Boxer.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I've related the death and destruction wrought by those infernal dogs before so I won't do so again, but if EVER one moves into my neighborhood and gets loose, I'm not going with a light rifle:

[Linked Image]

I'm with ya.

Like Elmer Keith used to say, "big bullets for big game."
�I just couldn't understand why he wouldn't stop, how come he was, why was he continuing to tear at her when she was bloody, she was on the ground. I mean you could tell, she was just helpless,� Thompson said.
I inherited a mix pit and something else maybe lab not a bad dog reasonable temper thanks again kids... one day I was going out to my car and there sitting next to my dog was a crop eared male pit that was twice the size of my dog. It got up and walked toward me as I headed to my car, I pulled my CCW Glock 19 and trained it on the dog, it closed on me, growled when it was about 5 foot away and launched itself. The 115 grain +P+ Federal HP entered its head directly between and just above the eyes and went straight down its neck into its body, the bullet did not exit and the dog landed at my feet quite dead. My neighbor a policeman told me the same dog had attacked him during his morning run and he pepper sprayed it. Drug folks raise them and then when they get mean or do something to the drug family often they take them out and just let them go.
I've been bitten twice by dogs in my life. One was an ill tempered springer spaniel that we picked up from the dog pound. The other was from a beagle, but I was a stupid kid and deserved that one.
Messed you up though, didn't they? You should be thankful. A Pit would have crippled you.

Yeah TAK, that is why all the cattle dogs and sheep dogs have been put down...all the cockies around here are using pitbulls because of their loving, caring, nature.

TRH, you are such a goose at times.

I'm offering you my expert judgment on the matter...

You are an insufferably arrogant twit.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I inherited a mix pit and something else maybe lab not a bad dog reasonable temper thanks again kids... one day I was going out to my car and there sitting next to my dog was a crop eared male pit that was twice the size of my dog. It got up and walked toward me as I headed to my car, I pulled my CCW Glock 19 and trained it on the dog, it closed on me, growled when it was about 5 foot away and launched itself. The 115 grain +P+ Federal HP entered its head directly between and just above the eyes and went straight down its neck into its body, the bullet did not exit and the dog landed at my feet quite dead. My neighbor a policeman told me the same dog had attacked him during his morning run and he pepper sprayed it. Drug folks raise them and then when they get mean or do something to the drug family often they take them out and just let them go.
[quote=jimmyp]

Ask Hawk why so many fruit cakes and druggies and homies own pit bulls.

I almost put down a pit in my driveway last summer. Everything happened very quickly and ended just as fast. Luckily the dog turned away before I got my 38 out of my pocket. I have had several run ins with this dog. The owners are trashy and breed these animals for money. Their dogs stay chained up in the front yard or in the back yard with no human interaction. The big male has been in my back yard twice after ripping through their wooden privacy fence. It's just a matter of time until something happens with their dogs. But, I don't blame the dogs for the neglect they receive from their owners. It is amazing that animal control has not taken the dogs away from them given the number of times they have dealt with these people and the obvious conditions that persist there.

Ive been bitten a schittload of times by German Shepherds grin And a schittload of times by Malinois grin grin
[Linked Image]

That said Ive liked every Pit I have come in contact with...dont like them enough to own one, buttttttt......

I would agree with those who have said the dogs are handled/trained to reflect their owners......

pits and rots = meat if they show up in my yard. i think most people that own nasty dogs are making up for their own small peckers. and i write this as i watch my beagle snore on the couch beside me.
Drug folks raise them and then when they get mean or do something to the drug family often they take them out and just let them go.
Actually, in the ghetto culture, the first thing they do with a puppy Pitbull (especially if they're involved in drug dealing, but even absent that factor) is to set about "making them mean." They have a whole procedure for this, involving staking them down by a rope or chain and having buddies from other neighborhoods come by and strike the dog with a broom from time to time. When the dog finally gets enough of it and drives aggressively towards them in an effort to bite, the agitator runs away in pretended terror and leaves. This does two things: firstly it teaches the dog that most strangers will try to hurt them, given the chance, and secondly, that aggression towards said strangers is the solution. Pitbulls trained this way are unsafe around anyone but their owners, and not even completely with them. Pitbulls raised as family pets, on the other hand, typically have the attitude of never having met a stranger, i.e., they want to be friends with everyone they're introduced to, and most that they haven't been introduced to, also.
Drug folks raise them and then when they get mean or do something to the drug family often they take them out and just let them go.
Actually, in the ghetto culture, the first thing they do with a puppy Pitbull (especially if they're involved in drug dealing, but even absent that factor) is to set about "making them mean." They have a whole procedure for this, involving staking them down by a rope and having buddies from other neighborhoods come by and strike the dog with a broom from time to time. When the dog finally gets enough of it and drives aggressively towards them in an effort to bite, the agitator runs away in pretended terror and leaves. This does two things: firstly it teaches the dog that most strangers will try to hurt them, given the chance, and secondly, that aggression towards them is the solution.

Did a negro in a pickup truck stop and tell you that bit of wisdom or are you a natural born expert on "ghetto culture"?
Originally Posted by eyeball
Messed you up though, didn't they? You should be thankful. A Pit would have crippled you.
No doubt.

PS The Boxer bit my hand, and the German Shepherd sunk its fangs in over my right kidney. Got all the scars still, too.
[quote=jimmyp]I inherited a mix pit and something else maybe lab not a bad dog reasonable temper thanks again kids... one day I was going out to my car and there sitting next to my dog was a crop eared male pit that was twice the size of my dog. It got up and walked toward me as I headed to my car, I pulled my CCW Glock 19 and trained it on the dog, it closed on me, growled when it was about 5 foot away and launched itself. The 115 grain +P+ Federal HP entered its head directly between and just above the eyes and went straight down its neck into its body, the bullet did not exit and the dog landed at my feet quite dead. My neighbor a policeman told me the same dog had attacked him during his morning run and he pepper sprayed it. Drug folks raise them and then when they get mean or do something to the drug family often they take them out and just let them go.

Ask Hawk why so many fruit cakes and druggies and homies own pit bulls.

I don't think anyone is disputing the physical potential of a pit bull, if that is what you're getting at. I just think that it is ignorant to generalize the entire breed as uncontrollable man eaters. I used to have a fear for the breed myself, until I actualy spent some time around a few. I have seen good pits and bad. One looks at the owners is usually all it takes to get a good idea of any dogs demeanor. Pits can make some very good family dogs. If you don't like pits, don't get one. If you have a dog running through your property and you want to shoot it, that's your poragative.
Someone asked why pits aren't used as bomb dogs and the like. I know pits are used as service dogs for a few things, but I have never seen a lousier nose on a dog than what my pup exhibits. She marks very well though. smile
I had a pit. Great dog. Until he wasn't.

Then I Glocked that [bleep].

Travis
Actually, in the ghetto culture, the first thing they do with a puppy Pitbull (especially if they're involved in drug dealing, but even absent that factor) is to set about "making them mean." They have a whole procedure ...

Train them mean and breed the ones that pick it up. Exactly the same way that other breeds were given their own characteristic behaviors.

Mean is what a large portion of the pit blood line is now. Some of them aren't. Some of them are meaner.

It's not worth finding out by someone losing an arm.

Travis

Is that what you're calling your microweiner these days? smile
Someone asked why pits aren't used as bomb dogs and the like. I know pits are used as service dogs for a few things, but I have never seen a lousier nose on a dog than what my pup exhibits. She marks very well though. smile
My current Pit mix has a pretty amazing nose. She likes to sleep in the front yard, and I often step out the back door to attend to my hens. She knows by merely sniffing the air that I've stepped out back (and no, not because I stink grin), and comes running into the back yard to greet me with a toy in her mouth. I know it's by scent because a few times I've stepped out, than changed my mind and went back in, then looked out the front living room window to see her sound asleep, but within a few seconds, once the scent had a chance to get to the front yard, she'd suddenly wake up, put her nose high into the air to sniff, then grab a toy and dart into the back yard thinking I'm back there.

PS This is my current Pit mix.

[Linked Image]

Travis

Is that what you're calling your microweiner these days? smile

It's not a laughing matter. I get emotionally attached very easily.

Travis
I'd say you could always go out and buy a new one, but I don't think the medical community has mastered the art of the dik transplant yet. You're screwed buddy.
Originally Posted by aspade
Actually, in the ghetto culture, the first thing they do with a puppy Pitbull (especially if they're involved in drug dealing, but even absent that factor) is to set about "making them mean." They have a whole procedure ...

Train them mean and breed the ones that pick it up. Exactly the same way that other breeds were given their own characteristic behaviors.

Mean is what a large portion of the pit blood line is now. Some of them aren't. Some of them are meaner.

It's little challenge at all to achieve "meanness" with a breed that has any natural spunk like the vast majority of Pitbulls do. Possessing said training-potential and being mean by nature are two completely different things, however. Most pits are bred for fighting ability, not for native "meanness." It's no trick making any of them mean, using the method I outlined. No selection process is needed. People have, in fact, been doing precisely what I outlined for thousands of years.
My current Pit mix has a pretty amazing nose. She likes to sleep in the front yard, and I often step out the back door to attend to my hens. She knows by merely sniffing the air that I've stepped out back (and no, not because I stink grin), and comes running into the back yard to greet me with a toy in her mouth. I know it's by scent because a few times I've stepped out, than changed my mind and went back in, then looked out the front living room window to see her sound asleep, but within a few seconds, once the scent had a chance to get to the front yard, she'd suddenly wake up, put her nose high into the air to sniff, then grab a toy and dart into the back yard thinking I'm back there.

PS This is my current Pit mix.

[Linked Image]

That's a good lookin puppa.

I could never get out the back door without Penny hearing it. I trained her from the time she was a little pup to come to me tapping on the glass. Aside from her tracking and spotting things very well, she can also hear a mouse fart two blocks away.
Originally Posted by aspade

It's little challenge at all to achieve "meanness" with a breed that has any natural spunk like the vast majority of Pitbulls do. Possessing said training-potential and being mean by nature are two completely different things, however. Most pits are bred for fighting ability, not for native "meanness." It's no trick making any of them mean, using the method I outlined. No selection process is needed. People have, in fact, been doing precisely what I outlined for thousands of years.

I'm not so sure that "most" pits are bread for fighting but I could be wrong. I would just be suprised if dog fighting is that prevailant in America today.
Gosh, I had one for 15 years and never had a mintues trouble with him. I raised him to be a good boy, and that he was. You haters can eat schitt. If I want to own one I will. The conversation here reminds me of the anti-gun discussions that I have been apart of in the past. Lots of misunderstanding and ignorance regarding the breed. Is it really the breed that is a problem, or is it some of the filth that happens to own these dogs? Come on guys, this should be obvoius. Like any of you, I am somewhat cautious when a see one on the loose that I am not acquainted with. I have never had one act aggressively toward me. I have one in the back yard right now that I rescued on the way home from a Friends of NRA banquet that I am a committe member of. We are testing her temperment, and doing some training with her. She will be featured on the Balanced Trainers web site soon.
TRH,any idea what your dog is mixed with? She looks pretty pity except for the large ears. How heavy is she? Mine is 60 lbs and was the runt. Her brothers and sister are closer to 75-80.
I'd say you could always go out and buy a new one, but I don't think the medical community has mastered the art of the dik transplant yet. You're screwed buddy.

Damnit. I was hoping you'd believe that line of bullschit. grin

Happy St. Patty's Day and GFY.

Travis

I'm not so sure that "most" pits are bread for fighting but I could be wrong. I would just be suprised if dog fighting is that prevailant in America today.

You are [bleep] high.

Travis
These threads are always funny as hell.

My dog is so awesome. You guys suck. You just don't understand. blah [bleep] blah

I vote they should use pits as a test medium for bullet performance.

I should have said that most pits bred for function are bred for fighting ability, whether that's been tested against wild boar or other dogs. Many not bred for function are randomly bred to each other, or based on a certain look that the breeder is looking to achieve.
I guess I need to get out more.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
These threads are always funny as hell.

My dog is so awesome. You guys suck. You just don't understand. blah [bleep] blah

I vote they should use pits as a test medium for bullet performance.

I agree.

Obviously...

Travis
Gotcha. There are a lot of pits bread for grabbing hogs, no doubt. I would like to get into that, but I could never send a dog I cared about to grab a large pig, and I wouldn't own a dog that I didn't care for.
TRH,any idea what your dog is mixed with? She looks pretty pity except for the large ears. How heavy is she? Mine is 60 lbs and was the runt. Her brothers and sister are closer to 75-80.
She's about 55 pounds and just shy of three years old. No idea what she's mixed with, or if she's a pure Pitbull. I just assumed she wasn't pure because of the ears. I adopted her from the shelter when she was about seventeen months old.
Originally Posted by djs
Kinda like a ghetto mom saying "He was such a good boy." about her 17 year old drug dealing son killed in a shootout with police.
u work for AFFAC...u nailed it!

I don't think anyone is disputing the physical potential of a pit bull, if that is what you're getting at. I just think that it is ignorant to generalize the entire breed as uncontrollable man eaters. I used to have a fear for the breed myself, until I actualy spent some time around a few. I have seen good pits and bad. One looks at the owners is usually all it takes to get a good idea of any dogs demeanor. Pits can make some very good family dogs. If you don't like pits, don't get one. If you have a dog running through your property and you want to shoot it, that's your poragative.

How do I teach my 5 year old to tell the difference if one gets lose and he's out playing in the yard?
You can tell a lot about a person by observing his dog, and many of the arseholes that own pit bulls aren't fit to raise guppies.

Insurance companies will not insure your house if you own certain dog breeds - pit bulls being one of them - or if they do, they will raise your rate considerably. Perhaps landlords should require renter's insurance, or is that government overreach?

Gotcha. There are a lot of pits bread for grabbing hogs, no doubt. I would like to get into that, but I could never send a dog I cared about to grab a large pig, and I wouldn't own a dog that I didn't care for.
I feel exactly the same way.
Originally Posted by Cheesehunter
You can tell a lot about a person by observing his dog, and many of the arseholes that own pit bulls aren't fit to raise guppies.

Insurance companies will not insure your house if you own certain dog breeds - pit bulls being one of them - or if they do, they will raise your rate considerably. Perhaps landlords should require renter's insurance, or is that government overreach?

I don't want to register my guns, why would I want to register my dog?
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser

How do I teach my 5 year old to tell the difference if one gets lose and he's out playing in the yard?

I'm not a parent yet, but if it were my boy I would tell him to come inside if he saw any strange dog come into the yard and get his mama or papa to take care of it.
I guess if her ears had been cropped, no one would guess she had anything else in her.
Is that a new dog STX or is that the one you have had? That pup is perty stinkin cute.

I'm not a parent yet, but if it were my boy I would tell him to come inside if he saw any strange dog come into the yard and get his mama or papa to take care of it.

You'll end up shooting that dog if you have kids.

Travis
Originally Posted by stxhunter
[Linked Image]
Cute pup.
Maybe some other molliser breed?
Maybe some other molliser breed?
If there's anything else in her, it's something with prick ears, like maybe an Australian Cattle Dog.
Or she could be a pure Pitbull that just happens to have ears that stand up straight.
we have a bull dog pit mix smart kind gentle we treat her as one of the family never had a single problem people walk up too her in her own yard me and mt teenage sons can take food literally out of her mouth still no problem so i would have too say that a lot has too do with the owners i am not saying they are all good dogs so too speak and i am positive that if anyone tried too harm the family she would put up a good fight they are stgrong and stubborn no doubt. it seems that if they are trained well and treated properly they are good dogs.would i leave her unsupervised around small kids OH HELL NO but that can be said for all dogs.

You'll end up shooting that dog if you have kids.

Travis

My dog is no stranger to children. My girl has a 4 year old daughter and Penny and Lilly absolutely love eachother. Having said that, I'm smart enough and proactive enough to supervise them when they are together. The problem with kids and any dog is that children can often become to assertive/aggressive/etc with the dog and not know when a dog is getting aggitated. I have never seen Lilly abuse Penny and her mother and I have been very conscious of making sure that we teach Lilly how to treat and handle dogs.

In short, children require their own special attention from their parents. If you're a lousy parent, there is an endless list of things that can harm your child and the chances of your kid getting hurt are much higher if you don't take care that it doesn't.
7 week old new pup, Petey needed company when i'm away at work.
Originally Posted by Cheesehunter

I don't want to register my guns, why would I want to register my dog?

Who said anything about registration?
You're liable for any damage caused by your dog, and you can insure yourself against that. Simple transfer of risk, like any insurance. I simply pointed out that you'll pay more for a pit, than you would for a poodle.
Yes, pit bulls are the red corvette of the dog world smile

Understood, but I am no stranger to owning things that have the potential to hurt someone. Guns, fast muscle care with no abs 4 wheel drum brakes, pit bull, etc..

You're right about the insurance, but an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. Simply stated, keep your business in order and you will be fine.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
7 week old new pup, Petey needed company when i'm away at work.

That's awesome. Is this one a boy or girl?

Should he run in before or after he gets mauled? Hopefully he's not busy playing and looking the other way.

I'm not worried about your dog so much. I'm guessing you are responsible and wouldn't have a dog that could get loose and cause harm. But they all look just alike, and therin lies the problem. Wouldn't it be better if we just let the breed die? If you dont want a dog that is aggressive or mean, why not get a poodle instead?

Should he run in before or after he gets mauled? Hopefully he's not busy playing and looking the other way.

I'm not worried about your dog so much. I'm guessing you are responsible and wouldn't have a dog that could get loose and cause harm. But they all look just alike, and therin lies the problem. Wouldn't it be better if we just let the breed die? If your dog isn't aggressive or mean, why not get a poodle instead?

I understand your fear, but I would hope that you understand how much I like this breed. The debate is similar to any gun debate. We don't need any new gun laws, but would be much better off punishing violent offenders in a much more strict manner. I think the same should be true of dog breeders. My neighbors would make a perfect example. Animal control is familiar with them and any half-wit knows what they are doing. Do you see my point? Again, I understand what you're feeling, but I whole-heartedly disagree with exterminating any dog breed that has the potential to harm your, or anybody elses child.
If you have never owned a pit than I could see why you might ask that question. But, I can tell you that this dog is a once in a lifetime type dog. And I never liked poodles.
That's probably it, TRH.
male.

People are entitled to their opinions, your not going to change them, I'll respect them.

all i can do is be responsible for my dogs and raise them right. Petey is the mildest mannered dog I've ever owned the pup only time will tell.
I've seen Labs that were calm and rock solid, and I've sen Labs that were so wound up and squirrely that they hardly ever touched the ground.
After the 101 Dalmatians movie, the breed became spectacularly popular and I heard that indiscriminate breeding flooded the market with mentally deficient Dalmatians.
Unlicensed breeders get busted mass-producing pits around here from time to time.
The difference must be in the bloodline. Seems that like any other breed, there's some whats OK, and there's some whats unfit. Trouble is, how do you know before it's too late?
Just asking...
Why not just stay away from strange dogs? I would take any pit I didn't know that much more seriously, especially in my neighborhood.
Some poor little innocent person pays a horrific price for this delusional crap.

Then everyone is soooooooooooooooo sorry.

oldundertaker
Good girl Shaka! wink
Worse is readily available, this beagle pit attack victim seemed more than ample.

[Linked Image]

My dog is no stranger to children. My girl has a 4 year old daughter and Penny and Lilly absolutely love eachother. Having said that, I'm smart enough and proactive enough to supervise them when they are together. The problem with kids and any dog is that children can often become to assertive/aggressive/etc with the dog and not know when a dog is getting aggitated. I have never seen Lilly abuse Penny and her mother and I have been very conscious of making sure that we teach Lilly how to treat and handle dogs.

In short, children require their own special attention from their parents. If you're a lousy parent, there is an endless list of things that can harm your child and the chances of your kid getting hurt are much higher if you don't take care that it doesn't.

Well I'm a good parent and I have a decent resume when it comes to knowing how to train a dog. And I shot the [bleep] out of him.

Travis
Originally Posted by sourmash
I've seen Labs that were calm and rock solid, and I've sen Labs that were so wound up and squirrely that they hardly ever touched the ground.
After the 101 Dalmatians movie, the breed became spectacularly popular and I heard that indiscriminate breeding flooded the market with mentally deficient Dalmatians.
Unlicensed breeders get busted mass-producing pits around here from time to time.
The difference must be in the bloodline. Seems that like any other breed, there's some whats OK, and there's some whats unfit. Trouble is, how do you know before it's too late?
Just asking...

Pointers point. Pitbulls fight.

Travis
Originally Posted by sourmash
Just asking...

Pointers point. Pitbulls fight.

Travis
Same could be said for lots of dog breeds, e.g., wolfhounds.

I love Pitbulls because of their happy go lucky, never met a stranger, personalities, combined with their deterrence factor when viewed from the other side of a fence with a locked gate. They're the poor man's estate mastiff.

Same could be said for lots of dog breeds, e.g., wolfhounds.

I love Pitbulls because of their happy go lucky, never met a stranger, personalities, combined with their deterrence factor when viewed from the other side of a fence with a locked gate. They're the poor man's estate mastiff.

You should think first, type second.

Travis

Travis
Did I misspell something?

Travis

No. You're typing out your ass. More so than usual.

Travis

Travis

Travis
Oh, you mean there's something in my post you don't agree with?
Roscoe is 15 years old half pit, half boxer. He only wants to bite a biscuit, or a cookie if my wife is baking them.I will say that out of his litter, he is the only one still alive. his brothers were mean and raised to be that way, All died at very young ages from lead poisoning or road rash. He has been treated like one of the kids and will be missed when he passes. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by amax155
Roscoe is 15 years old half pit, half boxer. He only wants to bite a biscuit, or a cookie if my wife is baking them.I will say that out of his litter, he is the only one still alive. his brothers were mean and raised to be that way, All died at very young ages from lead poisoning or road rash. He has been treated like one of the kids and will be missed when he passes. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Great looking fella. Just goes to show it's all how they're raised.
We don't need ANY laws regulating these infernal animals,,,or laws preventing us from shooting them on sight either...
Poisoning a pitbull is an honorable undertaking, providing that shooting is not an option.

Well I'm a good parent and I have a decent resume when it comes to knowing how to train a dog. And I shot the [bleep] out of him.

Travis

Spot! Lay Down! BANG!!! Good Boy.
We don't need ANY laws regulating these infernal animals,,,or laws preventing us from shooting them on sight either...

If there is a dog on your place and you want to shoot it, have at it.

We went to the same school!

Travis
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Poisoning a pitbull is an honorable undertaking, providing that shooting is not an option.

I've seen a few curs with a poor demeanor.
Love most any dog, have reservations with some breeds, but cannot internally allow myself to trust Pits, even those that belong to very close friends of mine. Its something in my Gut that I cant get past. And this is from a guy that has owned Rotts and Dobies my whole adult life. Theres just something about Pits that I cant drop my guard on.

Travis

Hollywood or East Coast?
That's understandable.

Travis

Hollywood or East Coast?

Hollywood.

GFY.

Travis
How does it feel to be the first woman to graduate from MCRD SD? You must have pulled a lot of strings. With your mouth.

ESAD

[bleep]

How does it feel to be the first woman to graduate from MCRD SD? You must have pulled a lot of strings. With your mouth.

ESAD

[bleep]

Anything coming from a Texan is always hilarious. Here's to hoping you can afford a real dog one day.

In Christ,
Travis
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Love most any dog, have reservations with some breeds, but cannot internally allow myself to trust Pits, even those that belong to very close friends of mine. Its something in my Gut that I cant get past. And this is from a guy that has owned Rotts and Dobies my whole adult life. Theres just something about Pits that I cant drop my guard on.
It's because they exude the ability to tear you up good if they ever decided to, and that freaks some folks out, even if the dog in question is completely friendly and easy going. Guys who never like to feel that way about a dog (because it makes them question their image of themselves as tough guys) feel hostility toward the breed for that reason.

Anything coming from a Texan is always hilarious. Here's to hoping you can afford a real dog one day.

In Christ,
Travis

If only I didn't have to pay all of these lawyer defense fees for all the kids my dog has eaten. Someday I will get a real dog, like a Palmeranian.
Nice try Dr Phil, its got nothing to do with a tough guy persona rather many decades of statistics with horrific stories and photos of these dogs attacking their own pack members and coupled with the inherit trait of not behaving like other dogs that do the bite bite bite and then retreat, Pits override reason for the attack with tenacity that is unrivaled in canines. The risk simply outweighs the rewards in the relationship of mans best friend.
It's because they exude the ability to tear you up good if they ever decided to, and that freaks some folks out, even if the dog in question is completely friendly and easy going. Guys who never like to feel that way about a dog (because it makes them question their image of themselves as tough guys) feel hostility toward the breed for that reason.

Take your [bleep] meds.

Travis

If only I didn't have to pay all of these lawyer defense fees for all the kids my dog has eaten. Someday I will get a real dog, like a Palmeranian.

Save those pennies! Might even find one with a pedigree!

Travis
It's because they exude the ability to tear you up good if they ever decided to, and that freaks some folks out

Just for clarity, I assure you that my 125 lb pup could do a whole hell of a lot more physical damage to you than my neighbors 60lb pit could. Most Pit vs human fatalities are usually involving small children, women and people that cant fend them off very well, or when they attack in numbers.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
woman attacked by her own pit bulls loses both arms,an eye and a lot of blood.

Liberals in government should LOVE these dogs.

Disarming Americans, one home at a time.

Travis

Travis
Oh, you mean there's something in my post you don't agree with?

No he means you are talking out your ass.
Yes Hawk, I normally refrain from things like putting my fate (or that of others) at the paws of a dogs whim.

Mostly I see guys with pits that have low self esteem and choose to live their life vicariously through that of a tough dog. As a kid they didn't have the luxury of being able to say to others that their dad could whip the other guys dad and regretted it.

It makes absolutely no sense to talk about how pits are bred to be loving, docile, and not dangerous in one sentence and then in the next to talk about how they are the poor mans estate mastiff. Just because a dog licks his masters hand doesn't make it safe for people to be around.

Every family pet/hunter pointer has let me know, at some point in time it didn't feel like putting up with me getting in its face/space without growling and barring teeth at me. Maybe it had a face full of porky quills or a mesquite thorn coming out the top of a foot, or was very tired from a days hunt and was too tired to put up with having the duct tape pulled off its legs to get the boots off after hunting in thick prickley pear country. A pissed off growl at me got the swift, sharp swat that let the dog know I was boss was ultimately what let me be boss and then I could proceed as needed.

Unfortunately I have seen men who grew up hunting with hounds and setters and pointers try being the boss with dogs of a more violent nature get the hell bitten out of them and sometimes left with permanent loss of normal use of a limb. Crippled at the whim of a dog.

Those who raise a dangerous dog and fail to teach the alpha rule and have a dog teach them (or another family member) can pay the price forever.

How often has a masters loving dog become jealous of the relationship it's master develops with a new partner or child, and the dog decides to teach the baby where it will fit in the developing pecking order? The answer is, some dogs take a finger and some take a life.
Yes Hawk, I normally refrain from things like putting my fate (or that of others) at the paws of a dogs whim.

Mostly I see guys with pits that have low self esteem and choose to live their life vicariously through that of a tough dog. As a kid they didn't have the luxury of being able to say to others that their dad could whip the other guys dad and regretted it.

It makes absolutely no sense to talk about how pits are bred to be loving, docile, and not dangerous in one sentence and then in the next to talk about how they are the poor mans estate mastiff. Just because a dog licks his masters hand doesn't make it safe for people to be around.

Every family pet/hunter pointer has let me know, at some point in time it didn't feel like putting up with me getting in its face/space without growling and barring teeth at me. Maybe it had a face full of porky quills or a mesquite thorn coming out the top of a foot, or was very tired from a days hunt and was too tired to put up with having the duct tape pulled off its legs to get the boots off after hunting in thick prickley pear country. A pissed off growl at me got the swift, sharp swat that let the dog know I was boss was ultimately what let me be boss and then I could proceed as needed.

Unfortunately I have seen men who grew up hunting with hounds and setters and pointers try being the boss with dogs of a more violent nature get the hell bitten out of them and sometimes left with permanent loss of normal use of a limb. Crippled at the whim of a dog.

Those who raise a dangerous dog and fail to teach the alpha rule and have a dog teach them (or another family member) can pay the price forever.

How often has a masters loving dog become jealous of the relationship it's master develops with a new partner or child, and the dog decides to teach the baby where it will fit in the developing pecking order? The answer is, some dogs take a finger and some take a life.

I agree with everything you said, especially the need for humans to asert their dominance as pack leaders over their dogs. Many people do not raise their pets this way and a pitbull would be a terrible breed for someone like this to own. Some dogs do well left a lone. A pit is a high energy dog that needs human interaction and socialization to be a sound pet.
Most pit dog owners know nothing about that and therefore have a dangerous animal they can't control unless the dog agrees with them. Therefore most pit owners have a dangerous dog and shouldn't be allowed to have them.
Here if pits act agressive cops just cap their ass.... done deal no [bleep] around...Little [bleep] monsters should be banned period...If you would defend dogs over little kids and helpless people you are a worthless [bleep] moron

Poisoning an animal is never honorable.
Poison is an indiscriminate killer, and results in a horrific death.
Originally Posted by highridge1
If you would defend dogs over little kids and helpless people you are a worthless [bleep] moron

This exact same argument is used by the anti-gunners...
Yeh and pits have provided a horrific death to alot of kids...... Some people are so [bleep] up..... You pit lovers can eat rotten [bleep]...
It makes absolutely no sense to talk about how pits are bred to be loving, docile, and not dangerous in one sentence and then in the next to talk about how they are the poor mans estate mastiff.
Sure it does. The mere appearance of a typical member of the breed strikes fear in the hearts of many, partly due to all the bad publicity, but they also have a look of fearless capacity to do harm. This is why folks get Rotties and Dobes, too, but they cost more to feed.
Most pit dog owners know nothing about that and therefore have a dangerous animal they can't control unless the dog agrees with them. Therefore most pit owners have a dangerous dog and shouldn't be allowed to have them.
And yet, amazingly, the overwhelming majority of Pitbulls live out their entire lives never having harmed a human being. Must be magic involved in that somehow. smirk
Yeh and pits have provided a horrific death to alot of kids......
So have people, and likely in much higher percentages in relation to their numbers on the planet. Lets exterminate people.
Yeh and pits have provided a horrific death to alot of kids...... Some people are so [bleep] up..... You pit lovers can eat rotten [bleep]...

Did you read the article???? The "innoccent kids" were in their mid 50's. She was living in a ratted out chithole ghetto house with her boyfriend with 4 adult pits, a litter of pit puppies, and with a backyard that had no fence. Obviously what we had here was ghetto trash making their money by puppy milling pitbulls. My neighbors to my rear are no different and WHEN, not if, they are attacked by their dogs I doubt I will feel sorry for them.

When you speak with your emotions like this you seem just like any other liberal.

Here is my honest solution to a problem that I am willing to admit exists. The problem is that people who cannot control their animals own breeds that when left to their abilities and lacking proper human socializtion, have been known to maul and kill people. Let us not forget that these same people also have the right to have kids.

So, here is my solution; every person at the age of 18 upon high school graduation or completion of a GED shall be required to take the military entrance exam, the ASVAB. If that person cannot obtain a high enough score to enlist in any of the respective military branches, that individual shall be sterilized and not allowed to own any breed capable of killing any being larger than a squirrel.

How does that sound?
More gov't control is always the answer...

Said no conservative, ever.
Sounds like a gut shot pit.

whiiiiiiiine whiiiiiiiine

Here is my honest solution to a problem that I am willing to admit exists. The problem is that people who cannot control their animals own breeds that when left to their abilities and lacking proper human socializtion, have been known to maul and kill people. Let us not forget that these same people also have the right to have kids.

So, here is my solution; every person at the age of 18 upon high school graduation or completion of a GED shall be required to take the military entrance exam, the ASVAB. If that person cannot obtain a high enough score to enlist in any of the respective military branches, that individual shall be sterilized and not allowed to own any breed capable of killing any being larger than a squirrel.

How does that sound?
Should appeal to all the liberals who've chimed in for this thread. grin
Who knew there would be so many libs on a gun forum?
Who knew there'd be so many ghetto dog lovers on a gun forum?

Yeah I'm real ghetto.

You are quite the intellectual.

^^^^^^^^^^^
SARCASM
It makes absolutely no sense to talk about how pits are bred to be loving, docile, and not dangerous in one sentence and then in the next to talk about how they are the poor mans estate mastiff.
Sure it does. The mere appearance of a typical member of the breed strikes fear in the hearts of many, partly due to all the bad publicity, but they also have a look of fearless capacity to do harm. This is why folks get Rotties and Dobes, too, but they cost more to feed.
the appearance is associated with learning through example what pits can do and what they do. Unfortunately, some are too slow to learn from the multitude of previous incidents.

They aren't afraid of the dog because of its looks. It's looks lets people know its a pit. A German Shepard looks meaner and more dangerous, but doesn't carry the fear factor of pits because they are not trained to kill and maim.
Says Einstein.

Well, if them that don't like pits are liberals,

then them that like them are ghetto trash.

Did I type slow enough?
You need to go back and look at the thread that Ingwe posted of him training a dog to attack.
People aren't libs for not liking a dog breed. They have lib tendencies if they feel we should ban or regulate people owning a dog breed, in this case.

And I have no idea how fast you typed. But, I'm guessing you used one finger and it was plenty slow.
Don't know if you guys have seen this one from a few days ago. But when I saw it on national news I thought.....bet money its a Pit before I even could verify it, based on behavior alone. Defend them [bleep] all u want but IMO theres no turning back for the breed.

http://gothamist.com/2013/03/13/video_pit_bull_comes_out_of_nowhere.php

Cant drink a [bleep] Big Gulp in New York, but they give the owners of dogs that attack children without provocation a pass!
Don't know if you guys have seen this one from a few days ago. But when I saw it on national news I thought.....bet money its a Pit before I even could verify it, based on behavior alone. Defend them [bleep] all u want but IMO theres no turning back for the breed.

And yet, amazingly, the overwhelmingly vast majority of Pitbulls have never harmed a single human being. Must be magic involved in it somehow.
People with inconsistent views on freedom and gov't regulation, depending on what they personally like, or don't like, demonstrate precisely why we have the gov't we have.
Principals before personalities, people.
I was being facetious. Sorry for the miscommunication.
People aren't libs for not liking a dog breed. They have lib tendencies if they feel we should ban or regulate people owning a dog breed, in this case.

And I have no idea how fast you typed. But, I'm guessing you used one finger and it was plenty slow.

With my tongue sticking out of the corner of my mouth and drool pooling on my keyboard.

I never said they should be banned, just shot.
Pits make good coyote bait.

I may strap a coyote hide on one and turn him loose in a wheatfield to see how long it takes 3 greyhounds to kill him.

A video would be nice, also.
Pit lovers could see news story after news story about pits killing and severely injuring kids and will still ramble on from there worthless mouths about how pits are great dogs. Why?? Because they are Douchebags.... It takes a mentally ill person to stick up for a dog that kills little kids and innocent people.
gun lovers could see news story after news story about guns killing and severely injuring kids and will still ramble on from there worthless mouths about how guns are great weapons. Why?? Because they are Douchebags.... It takes a mentally ill person to stick up for a gun that kills little kids and innocent people.

How's that read to you?
Idiots...

They come in three's.
And sorry Jeff, quick reply, I wasn't commenting to your post.
To set the record straight, I am not a Pitt lover. I am a freedom and personal responsibility lover.
Within the existing legal structure, we can hold dog owners accountable for the actions of their pets, just as we can hold firearms abusers accountable for their actions.
My neighbor has two, while I don't particularly like the breed, I don't care that he has them. The only time I see them around is when I am grilling steak, like most dogs they want a piece of the action! I grill some sausage at the same time, Its cheap and the dogs like it.
Sooooooo, how do you guys think a Pit bull would stack up against a hyena??? whistle
I'd like to watch it.

And shoot the winner, whichever it is. grin
Originally Posted by ingwe
Sooooooo, how do you guys think a Pit bull would stack up against a hyena??? whistle

I suspect not well.
Perhaps we should exterminate hyenas, as well?
Seems I read somewhere that german shepherds are responsible for the highest number of bites requiring medical care? Several smaller breeds bit more often, but injuries were of a minor nature.
May have been outdated?
Pit lovers could see news story after news story about pits killing and severely injuring kids and will still ramble on from there worthless mouths about how pits are great dogs. Why?? Because they are Douchebags.... It takes a mentally ill person to stick up for a dog that kills little kids and innocent people.
The kids don't treat pits right, just the other breeds. wink
Can we get the pitbull vs wolf debate going again?
And yet, amazingly, the overwhelming majority of Pitbulls live out their entire lives never having harmed a human being. Must be magic involved in that somehow. smirk
So do most rattlers, crocs and grizzlies. I'm sure there are those who have the, as pets, too.
Yeh and pits have provided a horrific death to alot of kids......
So have people, and likely in much higher percentages in relation to their numbers on the planet. Lets exterminate people.
so we should put up with a breed of dog unless it kills as many people as Pol Pot, or Stalin or hitler, right hawk.

And yet, amazingly, the overwhelmingly vast majority of Pitbulls have never harmed a single human being. Must be magic involved in it somehow.
most drunk drivers have never harmed anyone. Fact.
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk

Seems I read somewhere that german shepherds are responsible for the highest number of bites requiring medical care?
May have been outdated?

Might have been, but it depends on the year. As of now German Shepherds have climbed in popularity back to the #2 spot behind Labs. That kind of news NEVER bodes well for the breed, OR their reputation.More popluar= more backyard bad breeders=more dysfunctional dogs and more owners inexperienced with the breed.

Its part of the problem with Pitts quite frankly. Very popular with ignorant, inexperienced owners.....

60 years ago Pitts were bought and used to watch over the children of privelege,and of course to treat them gently, so much so that they were reffered to as "Nanny Dogs".
People with inconsistent views on freedom and gov't regulation, depending on what they personally like, or don't like, demonstrate precisely why we have the gov't we have.
Principals before personalities, people.
guns don't have brains and are under the control of a human. Pits often have a brain malfunctioning brain from generations of breeding and too often are not controlled by a human also with a malfunctioning brain.
so we should put up with a breed of dog unless it kills as many people as Pol Pot, or Stalin or hitler, right hawk.

reductio ad absurdum

You don't want your freedoms infringed? Don't infringe on others.
Don't want a pit bull, don't get one.
One trespasses on your property, kill it.
Hold owners accountable, a lot of people won't own them.
Let the market rule.
Pretty simple

[Linked Image]

Where's the limber for that thing?
It's a scientifically proven fact that selective breeding has a measurable effect on the disposition and preferences of animals. Pit lovers too often deny that fact. Some strains of hounds prefer foxes while others of the same breed were more interested in bear or cats or even deer (years ago). Pointers and setters have a thing about upland birds. Pits were bred to lick trespassers to death and at the same time to "look" mean and scare them away. crazy (well, according to a real pit expert who would get rich from writing a book on this rare, valuable, and unique quality if he had the time). whistle
guns don't have brains and are under the control of a human. Pits often have a brain malfunctioning brain from generations of breeding and too often are not controlled by a human also with a malfunctioning brain.

Animals also should be under the control of their owners, and those owners be held accountable if they don't have that control.

It scares me to hear gun advocates using the same arguments as anti gunners, whom we universally ridicule and hold up for contempt, for something they don't like.

Rationalize it all you want, it's still the same thought process.
That's easy to say here on the forum, not so easy for the 70 year old grandma that was innocently walking down the street with her 6 year old granddaughter to say! Dum [bleep] owning chit eaters all to often infringe on the safety of the innocent, and were arguing about rights and comparing inanimate objects (guns) to in some cases beasts that act and think seperately from the humans that own them!
Equating pits to guns is [bleep] retarded. It's an emotional response by estrogen laden fools, rather than an intellectual argument.
If the owner can't control the animal, hold the owner accountable. Just like a firearm abuser.
If the owner can't control the animal, hold the owner accountable. Just like a firearm abuser.

Dudes....I think this man has a very valid point.....
Equating an inanimate object (gun) to a pet lion or dog (uh, those are animate) reveals the true, sad mental condition of too many pit owners.

Guns ALWAYS act in concert with the bearers actions while pet lions, dogs or snakes -not so much.
IIRC, Hawk, you have previously indicated on another pit thread, how proud, superior, smug you feel going to the dog park and having all the others give way to your passage and defer to your course of travel with your pit on leash. It's the same as with the majority of killer dog owners -getting proud (hard) wherever possible.
If ya need a fightin dog, IMO, you're wantin a dick extender. Pathetic. But, your right.

I am all for rights AND responsibilities. Can ya bring small children back to life?
How about reconfiguring their mutilated faces and bodies? And memories, if they have any.

If we have to tolerate this foolishness, as a society, ownership should be established legally at transfer and then owners should face charges just as if they perpetrated the crime. Your dog kills, you fry. I mean, really. Your dog mutilates, you do 20 in the pen. No BS. No parole. None of this civil justice where ya can't get blood from a turnip stuff. I want owners to go to prison if such a dog is found roaming the neighborhood - ever - once. This cavalier approach to the lives of others is revolting, selfish and at best, delusional.

I am just as generous, in spirit, about drunks drivers. Oh, I know, they are fun guys and others should just watch out for them. They never meant to hurt anyone, just havin a little fun.

If you major Pit advocates could see what this looks like in three D and color, I would hope you would get sick and grow up. If not, you are hopeless.

Taking chances with other's lives should come at a VERY VERY HIGH premium.

This is your little Suzy or Grandma we are talkin about. Stretch your imagination.

Dudes....I think this man has a very valid point.....
I agree. The owner of a pit that kills a human should be put down.
I saw the JRT shaking the rat on the YouTube video. My JRT is twice the size of those and will shake and kill a feral house cat with the same vigor. Imagine a pit bull shaking an infant in that manner. That's what the gruesome attacks look like when they happen. Just as fierce and just as furious when they happen, so fast that it's over before one even attempts to stop it.
If ya need a fightin dog, IMO, you're wantin a dick extender. Pathetic. But, your right.

I am all for rights AND responsibilities. Can ya bring small children back to life?
How about reconfiguring their mutilated faces and bodies? And memories, if they have any.

If we have to tolerate this foolishness, as a society, ownership should be established legally at transfer and then owners should face charges just as if they perpetrated the crime. Your dog kills, you fry. I mean, really. Your dog mutilates, you do 20 in the pen. No BS. No parole. None of this civil justice where ya can't get blood from a turnip stuff. I want owners to go to prison if such a dog is found roaming the neighborhood - ever - once. This cavalier approach to the lives of others is revolting, selfish and at best, delusional.

I agree fully.

Guns ALWAYS act in concert with the bearers actions while pet lions, dogs or snakes -not so much.

However, in this country dogs are universally regarded as 'property', so the liability still rests with the owner of that property.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

I agree fully.

Me too...big time.
gun lovers could see news story after news story about guns killing and severely injuring kids and will still ramble on from there worthless mouths about how guns are great weapons. Why?? Because they are Douchebags.... It takes a mentally ill person to stick up for a gun that kills little kids and innocent people.

How's that read to you?
Good luck cutting through this level of blindness, but good effort.

most drunk drivers have never harmed anyone. Fact.
And unless a "drunk" driver actually drives recklessly, they should be left alone.
guns don't have brains
Yes, but people with guns do. The parallel is perfect, therefore. Remember, the left doesn't actually want to outlaw guns. They want to outlaw people with guns, with the only exceptions being certain employees of the state.
It's a scientifically proven fact that selective breeding has a measurable effect on the disposition and preferences of animals. Pit lovers too often deny that fact. Some strains of hounds prefer foxes while others of the same breed were more interested in bear or cats or even deer (years ago). Pointers and setters have a thing about upland birds. Pits were bred to lick trespassers to death and at the same time to "look" mean and scare them away. crazy (well, according to a real pit expert who would get rich from writing a book on this rare, valuable, and unique quality if he had the time). whistle

To get working dogs, breeders must breed TOWARD "good" characteristics, with bidability being at the top of the list. A bird dog or cowdog needs to be "eat up" with desire to point birds or bay up cattle, but if his desire to please his owner doesn't trump all else, he is not a top dog.

The pack instinct is where ALL the good characteristics come from as far as I can determine. A dog's bidability comes directly from his instinct to submit to the pack leader.

To get a dog that will go directly against the pack instinct and kill another dog, even one that has submitted to him, requires a breeder to breed AWAY from all the good characteristics.

No breeder gets to control successive generations of his line to the point he can breed out ALL undesirable characteristics in his line of dogs.

Nobody breeds race horses to make slower horses. Nobody tries to get rid of athletic ability in cow horses. And we don't encourage violent lunatics to mate with other violent lunatics, and then breed their offspring to mates just like them.

THAT would be the human equivalent to pitbulls.
IIRC, Hawk, you have previously indicated on another pit thread, how proud, superior, smug you feel going to the dog park and having all the others give way to your passage and defer to your course of travel with your pit on leash. It's the same as with the majority of killer dog owners -getting proud (hard) wherever possible.
I once recounted that the owner of a huge mastiff at the dog park did that. Not that I did.

To get working dogs, breeders must breed TOWARD "good" characteristics, with bidability being at the top of the list. A bird dog or cowdog needs to be "eat up" with desire to point birds or bay up cattle, but if his desire to please his owner doesn't trump all else, he is not a top dog.

The pack instinct is where ALL the good characteristics come from as far as I can determine. A dog's bidability comes directly from his instinct to submit to the pack leader.

To get a dog that will go directly against the pack instinct and kill another dog, even one that has submitted to him, requires a breeder to breed AWAY from all the good characteristics.

No breeder gets to control successive generations of his line to the point he can breed out ALL undesirable characteristics in his line of dogs.

Nobody breeds race horses to make slower horses. Nobody tries to get rid of athletic ability in cow horses. And we don't encourage violent lunatics to mate with other violent lunatics, and then breed their offspring to mates just like them.

THAT would be the human equivalent to pitbulls.
THIS
And unless a "drunk" driver actually drives recklessly, they should be left alone.

Are you [bleep] serious?
So pit bulls have been bred for many years to fight with deadly results;

So pit bulls don't just bite--they tear into muscle and bone and shake their victim(s);

So pit bull injuries are more severe than other breeds. All the red flags are there.

So why would any rational person want to take a chance in owning such a "pet" that could kill or maim an innocent person? That, to me, defies all logic.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Are you [bleep] serious?

He is. over nine pages of this crap and I'm betting over half the posts are his and if you go through the YEARS here about these damned dogs, you'll find him repetitive to the point of insanity.
Definition of insanity: Repeating the same thing over and over again with the same results but expecting a different outcome. Norman Bates is calling.
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48

So pit bulls don't just bite--they tear into muscle and bone and shake their victim(s);

So pit bull injuries are more severe than other breeds. All the red flags are there.

So why would any rational person want to take a chance in owning such a "pet" that could kill or maim an innocent person? That, to me, defies all logic.
Let's demand that our legislators take action. Call your state representatives, people. They know best which dog breeds we can be trusted to own and which we cannot. smirk
You're makin their case.

The first time I saw a live (well, recently living) hyena, I was shocked at how large they are. The two I saw were striped Hyenas in Iraq. They filled up the bed of one of those little pickup trucks that were out there.
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48

Napoleon syndrome. Oh yea, those pits in the junk yard won't bother a kid if they get out. They just look mean. UFR crazy
I called one in Fl.

I asked about having you committed.

He said the FL Statehouse is not allowed to keep a pet monkey, so they read your posts here instead.

Got a cartoon of a guy jumping up on the curb to avoid a crazed Negro in a pickup truck, hanging right behind the podium, so he claims.

He says you are the best proof they got that not ALL the idiots in FL get elected to public office as some citizens claim.

You are UNTOUCHABLE.
And sorry Jeff, quick reply, I wasn't commenting to your post.

No problem! I appreciate your level headed and respectful input. I try, but still have trouble acting as well.
I completely agree with those of you that say pit owners, or any dog owner, should be held accountable for any attack or negligent abuse/care of their dogs. I believe that poor ownership can be tacked back to the overwhelming majority of these attacks. If we disciplined pet owners for their own irresponsible control of their pets, I think much of this problem would be solved.

As Ingwe states, pits were once used and considered by the public to be nanny dogs. But, there came a time a few decades ago where the dogs were targeted by people for the wrong reasons. This is the problem and the root of these attacks. this is what this discussion should be about. Not pitbulls or any other breeds.

I think you will find that Pitbulls have quite a history of service in the USMC..

"USMC Sargeant Stubby
Pit Bull and the US Most Decorated Military Dog

[Linked Image]
USMC Sargeant Stubby, hero and veteran of WWI courtesy of the US National Archives.

In 1916 the United States was deep in a conflict that changed the world. A time of innocence and idealism would collapse in the face of WWI. As areas of sporting events, education and otherwise peaceful intentions were pressed into service by the military, a group of students participated in military training in Yale Field and were joined by a charming, happy Bull Terrier, one we would quickly identify as a Pit Bull today. Stubby, as he came to be known for his chunky body and good sense of humor, was an endearing mascot and treasured companion, so when the young men were reassigned to Newport News for final training before deployment, they couldn't abandon him.

While most of the troops would be in vehicles for mass transport that wouldn't hide a dog effectively, Corporal J. Conroy would be traveling in a supply car. This provided a real option for hiding the dog and bringing him with them. Corporal Conroy initially declined then the savvy soldiers introduced Stubby to him. His resistence melted in the face of Stubby's kisses. Thus began a friendship that would serve both Corp Conroy, the company of soldiers and Stubby for the duration of the War.

From Newport News, Stubby was smuggled to Europe with his friends, this required the complicity of others since the US did not have a military dog program at the time and if they had, Stubby had not been trained for duty so it is questionable that he would have been included.

Trained or not, Stubby made himself of immense service. It is difficult to say how many soldiers returned home due to his alerts over gas attacks (he could smell the gas in time for the soldiers to get their masks on) or when he identified and captured (by the seat of his pants, no less) a German spy. Stubby didn't always benefit from his actions though. He was seriously poisoned by gas at least once (none of the gas masks could be fitted for him) and nearly killed by a grenade (but instead recovered and rejoined his fellow troops). He even saved a young girl while in Paris. Stubby suddenly bolted from Conroy's side and knocked a girl away from a street corner, out of the path of a careening car. While they were grazed by the car, neither was seriously hurt.

The people of France were enamored with Stubby, his loving attitude which hadn't changed since his days training with the soldiers in Yale Field, and his heroism. The ladies of a French town near where they were stationed fashioned a special coat for Stubby that could display his many awards, medals and commendations. One of those would have been his honorary title of Sargeant in the United States Marine Corps.

[Linked Image]

Despite his heroism and bravery, Stubby somehow managed to retire from his unofficial military service in 1919. After 18 months in the European front, it would seem that the excitement was over. But no one asked Stubby! When Corporal Conroy attended Georgetown University Law School, Stubby became the unofficial Hoya mascot. His antics of playing with the football not only served to be entertaining but initiated a line of canine mascots to follow and is even credited with beginning the half time show. Stubby still found time to be received by not one but two Presidents (he'd met President Wilson during the War and offered his well known salute to Wilson's delight), Calvin Coolidge and Warren Harding at the White House. He led many parades and attended military conventions and conferences.

Corporal Conroy perhaps uttered the most telling and accurate quote regarding his friend when he was nearly denied service at the Grand Majestic Hotel in New York City because they wouldn't accept the dog. With a grumble that might have been worthy of Stubby facing a German spy, Corporal Conroy is reported to have said "This is no dog. This is a war hero!" Stubby was then received and signed the guestbook with a pawprint. Stubby was more than a military dog or war dog as demonstrated by the full review of his life, he was an envoy and an ambassador both for dogs and the United States Military. For those people who had suffered at the hands of a conquering power, the sense of relief was made all the more real when the invaders were repelled by a friendly force who came forth with a dog offering kisses.

In 1926, after a life worthy of several movies, Stubby died. His remains were preserved and are still maintained (along with his "uniform" made by the French ladies and his medals) by the Smithsonian Institution of Washington, DC. Currently he is on loan to the State of Connecticut."

Owners of pit bulls oughta heed the advice of the lady who helped a newcomer know when to get off the streetcar at the right stop �

"Just watch me and get off three blocks before I do."
I guess whoever the breeders were that led to my dog wanted to keep the football trait.

[Linked Image]
Naw, he's just building jaw muscles. wink grin
a wolf will kill a pitbull first everytime
Yes, in the blink of an eye. There is a difference in human bred killers and natural born killers.

Naw, he's just building jaw muscles. wink grin

HER jaw muskles are perty dagone strong. And I aint gonna lie, she knows it. But, thankfully she is a sweetheart as anyone who has met her will attest.

Just a couple days ago I was with some friends playing football and celebrating spring break. We keep a chewed up football as a toy for her. You can swing her around by her mouth, no problem. Have you ever seen a dog wag its tail while at the same time not touching the ground. Pretty cool. smile
But will a great white win over a silverback gorilla?
Originally Posted by gmsemel
My neighbor has two, while I don't particularly like the breed, I don't care that he has them. The only time I see them around is when I am grilling steak, like most dogs they want a piece of the action! I grill some sausage at the same time, Its cheap and the dogs like it.

This is called "Classical Conditioning", as in the famous Pavlov's Dogs experiment. You're training dogs to expect a treat when they smell a steak on a grill. I really hope they don't expect a sausage in my back yard and get PO'ed when they don't get one... and I hope it doesn't happen to any of your neighbors, either.

And as far as comparing dogs and guns, nobody ever had to chase their gun down the street to keep it from doing something on its own.

Just My .02

Originally Posted by eh76
a wolf will kill a pitbull first everytime

So will a bad hog. The pitbull makes it so easy.

The bastard just grabs an ear - which is expendable as far as the hog is concerned - and goes to sleep. His last thought is likely to be:

"This sumbitch has teeth on the OUTSIDE....... that ain't fair."

If a pitbull could catch up to a group of javalinas, he would end up as a paraplegic. Most dogs disengage as soon as they lose the first hind leg.

Anything a pitbull can do can be done better bt another breed............. 'cept killing his own kind and maiming little kids and old folks.
My grandad had a big old cur like old yeller when I was a little kid. The east Texas piney woods were mostly un fenced timber company lands and cattle roamed at will in the 'open range'. Once when Bugger was at the farm house instead of out killing hogs or or something, we saw a big dog coming down the white sand country road on another foray for one of our chickens. Grandad stood up, pointed down the road and sicced Bugger who took off like greased lightening. The two dogs closed as fast as they could, crashing into each other. The other dog seemed to just fall at the brief encounter and died there in the road. The coup de grace having been accomplished faster than the eye could see.
Ol' Yeller in the book was a Blackmouth Cur.

The dog in the movie was a pound pickup.
The only problem I see with equating a dislike of any particular breed of dog with the anti-gun arguments is that I don't recall ever reading of anyone's rifle escaping from the safe and killing or maiming anyone.
© 24hourcampfire