Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#7550297 03/15/13
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I would normally post this in the general section, but most people seeking advice come from the Handguns forum, even if it�s not about handguns.

Just a word of advice to those who seek advice. If you PM me for advice and you decide to not take that advice, there�s a 90% chance that decision is going to cost you MUCH more money, and grief.

Case #1 � A four year long PM discussion about Sporting Clays guns. Guy has shot semi-auto�s his whole life but wants a double so he doesn�t have to clean as much; but then learns that his double doesn�t shoot like his semi-auto (first double was a steal at $900). My first piece of advice is to have the double fit to him�He cringes at the idea of doing anything to the wood, ignores, and ends up buying a different double ($2,300)�same problem. Has the gun fit to him, but notices that his scores still aren�t the same as they are with his semi-auto. I advise him to either stop the bleeding and just go back to the auto, or begin taking lessons (unbeknownst to me, I opened up a whole new can of worms). He figures the solution is to buy not one, but two more doubles, one 20bore and one 12. Both have adjustable butt plates and adjustable combs (one was $2,100, the other was $3,100)�now his scores are very close to what they were with the auto, but he wants better scores. I explain he will need lessons, BUT his lessons will require him to change the way he shoots. When he makes that change, his scores will go down for a while, but then he�ll get better than he ever was. He takes lesson ($200) and his scores go down. He gets frustrated and goes back to shooting the way he did. Several months go by and he returns to the lessons. Scores go down again�he buys a new semi-auto shotgun ($1,100), and then sends it to a top sporting clays gunsmithing firm to have it seriously tricked out ($1,200)�scores actually went up by around 10%...Finally he broke down and just did it the way his instructor told him�scores went down for about 2 months, and now he�s one of the top shots in the club. He could have saved all the money and took his existing semi-auto shotgun to lessons and been there 3.5 years earlier.

Case #2 � Friend wants a dedicated .308 battle rifle; wants a serious battle rifle, not a range toy. I tell him to buy a FAL, choose the optic of his preference, call it done. He buys a PTR-91 ($1,000)and hates it. He asks about the Scout M1A, I tell him they�re nice but the muzzle blast is horrendous, and he can�t shoot anything but military grade ammo. He buys it ($1,800) and the muzzle blast is horrendous, he decides he wants to create his own SHTF dedicated load, but it may tear up his M1A; he doesn�t like it. Finally decides he wants a FAL, likes the 16� Para. I advise him that the 16� Para will be just as bad or worse than the M1A for muzzle blast, and that the para stock, while well designed at the hinge, really isn�t very comfortable and doesn�t work well with optics. He buys an 18� Para ($1,600), mounts a 1.5-5x Leupold in a DSA mount($600)�But the stock sucks for the optic. Orders up a fixed stock 18� rifle from DSA ($1,300) and mounts his Leupy in DSA mount; happy. And the adjustable gas system allows him to shoot his custom load no prob.

Case #3 � Guy wants �the ultimate� pistol, asks my opinion. I tell him that nothing feels better, or is more enjoyable to shoot than a custom Hi Power; he makes good money and he can easily afford anything he wants. He buys a Nighthawk ($2,600); very nice pistol, he�s really happy with it and it shoots like a dream. 1 year later, he�s traveling through my home town and wants to get together to do a little shooting. During the shooting at my house, I hand him my Hi Power and walk him through how to hit all the way out to 100 yards�now he hates his Nighthawk and starts making offers on my Hi Power. After explaining to him that it�s MY Hi Power and I don�t want to sell it (sadly I eventually did). He decides he�ll just have one built up right. Finds a Hi Power, 1970�s model with adjustable sights; asks if it�s a good one to build up a full custom Hi Power with. I inform him that for what he wants to do, a Mk III is probably a better choice; he buys the �70�s adjustable sight gun. He wants me to build it, but I don�t have machine equipment anymore and I don�t really like taking work for hire. I tell him to send his gun to Cylinder & Slide, Heirloom Precision, or Novak. He doesn�t want to wait a year or more to have his gun built, and sends it to a local guy with a good reputation. Rear sight installation is completely botched, as was the feed ramp (strangely, the bluing was really nice). When I tell both him and his gunsmith the very simple solution to fix the botched job, they both think I�m nuts. He ends up selling the gun for about what he paid for it, minus all the money he lost. He gets mad at me, and I�ve not heard from him again.

The heart wants what the heart wants; I get that. If the heart just wants, don�t ask me for my opinion; because it just may not be what your heart wants.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe you just have stupid friends.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Kevin, what's better, blondes or redheads?

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Maybe you just have stupid friends.
Cases 1 & 2 are guys who are VERY smart...Seriously, VERY smart. But in both cases, they made the mistake of asking me for my opinion after they had already made up their mind to do something else, so it just wasn't likely they were going to take my advice anyhow. Case #3 was a guy who used to post on this forum, but seems to have gone away. I didn't really "know" him per-se, but he seemed like a rational, intelligent guy. But I think he just decided to go a different way.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Kevin, what's better, blondes or redheads?
Brunettes of course wink

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Kevin/ He takes lesson ($200) and his scores go down

I have watched several shooters take high priced lessons from great shooters, their scores all went down.

The teacher almost always teaches his style of shooting and the student
tries to reproduce it, it almost never works.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
my solution is to just not ask you for any advice. laugh

My old Browning A5 does fine for clays. My old Ithaca SxS 20 goes equally well.
I throughly enjoyed my M1A rifles while I owned them. They were dead nuts reliable, very accurate, ate any reasonable ammo I fed them, and were fun to play with. I still own, and shoot my M1A 16 inch, and do NOT find the 'muzzle blast' to be all that bad.

I pretty much know what I want in an ultimate pistol. I have owned several that pleased me. No regrets.

Guess I can get by on my own.

Sam......

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Good post, Kevin.
I've found that two kinds of people ask for advice. Those who really want some ideas, and those who want their ideas verified by others. E

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ClaysEtc
Kevin/ He takes lesson ($200) and his scores go down

I have watched several shooters take high priced lessons from great shooters, their scores all went down.

The teacher almost always teaches his style of shooting and the student
tries to reproduce it, it almost never works.
His technique was learned in the field hunting quail when he was a kid, really a poke and shoot kind of thing. He was a hell of a poke & shooter though. I knew that he'd be taught a different way of shooting and that it would require a bit of ajustment and getting used to. I told him it would cause him some adjustments and to expect that his scores after lessons would take a hit until the changes became cemented. He just couldn't deal with lower scores, and went back to his old style. Well anyone could have told him that his old style just wasn't going to work when the shots get longer and more difficult. He just needed to stick with it, and eventually he did. He's a damn good shot now.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Good post, Kevin.
I've found that two kinds of people ask for advice. Those who really want some ideas, and those who want their ideas verified by others. E
The former is rare, and the latter are everywhere.

IC B3

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
my solution is to just not ask you for any advice. laugh

My old Browning A5 does fine for clays. My old Ithaca SxS 20 goes equally well.
I throughly enjoyed my M1A rifles while I owned them. They were dead nuts reliable, very accurate, ate any reasonable ammo I fed them, and were fun to play with. I still own, and shoot my M1A 16 inch, and do NOT find the 'muzzle blast' to be all that bad.

I pretty much know what I want in an ultimate pistol. I have owned several that pleased me. No regrets.

Guess I can get by on my own.

Actually the first guy would have done very well to use his A-5 (I love the A-5 by the way) and just be done with it. It fit him very well, is perfectly reliable. Due to the action type, they really don't get dirty. Recoil is reasonable...still a damn good gun by any standard.

I knew he would be put off by the 16" guns when I went shooting with him and he complained about the muzzle blast of a 14.5" M4 SBR, so that's why I warned him off on the short barrel M1A. Actually he did like the M1A for the most part. One of the things he didn't like was if you wanted to chancge or add anything, it was very expensive. And once he finally got to try the FAL, he really liked the balance, handling characteristics, and the almost non-existent recoil.

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Good post, Kevin.
The former is rare, and the latter are everywhere.

Very very true.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The best is when they blame you, after they done screwed the pooch. All you can do is laugh it off.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Kevin,

Good advise is almost certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would normally post this in the general section, but most people seeking advice come from the Handguns forum, even if it�s not about handguns.

Just a word of advice to those who seek advice. If you PM me for advice and you decide to not take that advice, there�s a 90% chance that decision is going to cost you MUCH more money, and grief.

Case #1 � A four year long PM discussion about Sporting Clays guns. Guy has shot semi-auto�s his whole life but wants a double so he doesn�t have to clean as much; but then learns that his double doesn�t shoot like his semi-auto (first double was a steal at $900). My first piece of advice is to have the double fit to him�He cringes at the idea of doing anything to the wood, ignores, and ends up buying a different double ($2,300)�same problem. Has the gun fit to him, but notices that his scores still aren�t the same as they are with his semi-auto. I advise him to either stop the bleeding and just go back to the auto, or begin taking lessons (unbeknownst to me, I opened up a whole new can of worms). He figures the solution is to buy not one, but two more doubles, one 20bore and one 12. Both have adjustable butt plates and adjustable combs (one was $2,100, the other was $3,100)�now his scores are very close to what they were with the auto, but he wants better scores. I explain he will need lessons, BUT his lessons will require him to change the way he shoots. When he makes that change, his scores will go down for a while, but then he�ll get better than he ever was. He takes lesson ($200) and his scores go down. He gets frustrated and goes back to shooting the way he did. Several months go by and he returns to the lessons. Scores go down again�he buys a new semi-auto shotgun ($1,100), and then sends it to a top sporting clays gunsmithing firm to have it seriously tricked out ($1,200)�scores actually went up by around 10%...Finally he broke down and just did it the way his instructor told him�scores went down for about 2 months, and now he�s one of the top shots in the club. He could have saved all the money and took his existing semi-auto shotgun to lessons and been there 3.5 years earlier.

Case #2 � Friend wants a dedicated .308 battle rifle; wants a serious battle rifle, not a range toy. I tell him to buy a FAL, choose the optic of his preference, call it done. He buys a PTR-91 ($1,000)and hates it. He asks about the Scout M1A, I tell him they�re nice but the muzzle blast is horrendous, and he can�t shoot anything but military grade ammo. He buys it ($1,800) and the muzzle blast is horrendous, he decides he wants to create his own SHTF dedicated load, but it may tear up his M1A; he doesn�t like it. Finally decides he wants a FAL, likes the 16� Para. I advise him that the 16� Para will be just as bad or worse than the M1A for muzzle blast, and that the para stock, while well designed at the hinge, really isn�t very comfortable and doesn�t work well with optics. He buys an 18� Para ($1,600), mounts a 1.5-5x Leupold in a DSA mount($600)�But the stock sucks for the optic. Orders up a fixed stock 18� rifle from DSA ($1,300) and mounts his Leupy in DSA mount; happy. And the adjustable gas system allows him to shoot his custom load no prob.

Case #3 � Guy wants �the ultimate� pistol, asks my opinion. I tell him that nothing feels better, or is more enjoyable to shoot than a custom Hi Power; he makes good money and he can easily afford anything he wants. He buys a Nighthawk ($2,600); very nice pistol, he�s really happy with it and it shoots like a dream. 1 year later, he�s traveling through my home town and wants to get together to do a little shooting. During the shooting at my house, I hand him my Hi Power and walk him through how to hit all the way out to 100 yards�now he hates his Nighthawk and starts making offers on my Hi Power. After explaining to him that it�s MY Hi Power and I don�t want to sell it (sadly I eventually did). He decides he�ll just have one built up right. Finds a Hi Power, 1970�s model with adjustable sights; asks if it�s a good one to build up a full custom Hi Power with. I inform him that for what he wants to do, a Mk III is probably a better choice; he buys the �70�s adjustable sight gun. He wants me to build it, but I don�t have machine equipment anymore and I don�t really like taking work for hire. I tell him to send his gun to Cylinder & Slide, Heirloom Precision, or Novak. He doesn�t want to wait a year or more to have his gun built, and sends it to a local guy with a good reputation. Rear sight installation is completely botched, as was the feed ramp (strangely, the bluing was really nice). When I tell both him and his gunsmith the very simple solution to fix the botched job, they both think I�m nuts. He ends up selling the gun for about what he paid for it, minus all the money he lost. He gets mad at me, and I�ve not heard from him again.

The heart wants what the heart wants; I get that. If the heart just wants, don�t ask me for my opinion; because it just may not be what your heart wants.
When your advisees are Savage99, JeffO and Swampman, this is the kind of stuff you can expect.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Redheads.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Recoil is reasonable...still a damn good gun by any standard.

And once he finally got to try the FAL, he really liked the balance, handling characteristics, and the almost non-existent recoil.
Any A-5 I ever shot recoiled commensurate with its bore size. A 12 Gauge kicked like a Missouri mule.

The one FAL I had I got rid of because I didn't want to put up with its recoil. I've owned lots of assault rifles and several 308's but only one 308 assault rifle. Moderate recoil in that fast-shooting rifle wasn't my cup of tea. I don't consider a Garand to recoil that bad OTOH. I currently own a DPMS 308 which doesn't recoil much at all. If recoil is a factor, I'd certainly recommend an AR-10 for a Main Battle Rifle rather than ANY M-14 type or FN FAL.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most people have their own thoughts and really,really are looking for assurances from someone else to cover their asses when a wrong decision is made.They lie to themselves and don't think twice about doing it to others ,they don't really mean to,it's human nature to hold your cards close. They have a picture already in their mind,you can't paint flowers on it for them.I do this everyday with professionals,business owners and lot's of "retail" people.
One of the key words to listen for is the phrase "what do you think"? vs "can you help me with",sort out who wants to talk vs wants to learn.
If the horse wants water,it's going to go where it is...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I advise him that the 16� Para will be just as bad or worse than the M1A for muzzle blast, and that the para stock, while well designed at the hinge, really isn�t very comfortable and doesn�t work well with optics.

They got it right a long time ago,...

Good ole' #105,..21" FrankenFAL on an Imbel receiver.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Advice, something a wise man will not ask for and a fool will not take. As for girls just try them all until you find a keeper

There are fools and damn fools, which one are you?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 56 invisible), 3,197 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,665
Posts18,534,104
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.