-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well I ran into a nice gentleman at the gunshow today with a steyr mannicher in 270. I have always wanted one, even if 270 isn't quite my cup of tea.

He was asking $1000, should I sell some toys to pick this up? Is it a deal? It has a Leopold mount on it.
I would appreciate any information on it; In my excitement I did not write down any information, but I believe it is a mid 1952 Improved model. Thoughts?
Oh the reciever was marked Steyr Daimler Puch

Here is a picture of it I snagged off of armslist. What do you think?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by George_in_SD; 03/16/13.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
HR IC

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
From another picture on Armslist it looks like a top mount which I prefer over those side mounts that cut into the stock.

I would want the rings with that mount unless its certain it takes Leu. rings?

Also is it a full stock (Mannlicher stock) or a half stock?

The price seems high. Make a offer if you want it.

Select a rifle hunting cartridge that is "Enough Gun" and not one designed to just wound the enemy!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It is a half stock and the rings are included. The rifle itself is in very good condition, both triggers are super, and the action is like butter.

I thought this was more a deal, than steep. Looking online they seem around 1200+. Perhaps I am mistaken.

Do you think this is a 1952 improved, or later?

Thanks!

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oh here are the other two pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is only the second one I have seen for sale for 6 or 7 years

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Based on your pix. it is a 1952, or a "GK" or perhaps an "NO", I need a photo of the entire rifle to tell for certain.

I have had three pristine MSs over my 48 years of rifle ownership, one minty 1961MCA carbine in 6.5x55. NOT a "typo" btw, only seen two of these in my life. Then, a MC halfstock in .30-06 and last the MC carbine I bought in 1997 and sold to a friend as a favour last year, also minty.

ALL of these were "tackdrivers" and I am just a "Mauser guy" and a fan of Brno 21/22 and ZG rifles, of which I currently have 11 of the 14 I have had. I consider the old Brnos, the Oberndorf sporters of which I have a fine specimen and the MS rifles to be the ultimate among bolt action "production" sporters.

Again, based on what I can see, I think that the asking price is definitely "ballpark", especially,with the mounts, if they are complete? But, any piece like this is valuable according to what the prospective purchaser desires.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
All one needs to do is cycle the bolt and try both triggers. For the skeptics, take out the magazine and look at the machining.

The mounts are complete, they just aren't pictured. I'm headed out bright and early tomorrow to pick this one up; even though its a 270. Normally I am a 7mm guy, however I will make an exception if only for Jack O'Connor.

I certainly understand that this is a niche item and the value is more determined by the individual. It feels like a fair price to me given what few examples I have seen and i've had enough deals in the past so I can 'buy early grin ' as they say, for once!

Pictures will be posted tomorrow! But any other information is appreciated

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I certainly wouldn't take $1000 for my .30'06 MCA. Like you, I'm not a .270 enthusiast but, I could yield to temptation. wink

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well I just posted some pictures in Finally bought my dream rifle. I can't stop fondling it!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,019
Posts18,500,406
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.