Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
FNG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
When pre-season planning new areas to scout/ hunt what do you look for on maps? I'm thinking gated logging road access to south facing slopes that are exposed to direct sunlight through most of the day... What else? Mostly low elevation for early grass growth?

I tend to hunt areas where I know the elk calve, but the griz seem to keep the blacks a bit wary in some of these areas. I've found that spring bears tend to not be in many of the areas where I see them during general big game season and I'm trying to hunt smarter. I see more on foot than I do when glassing - obviously not glassing the right areas even though they look like they should be good.

I pass up several shots each year where I could just step out of the truck on the side of the road and pop one. I really want to hunt for my bear. I haven't brought one home yet, but when it happens I want it to be an accomplishment.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I know what you mean. I passed on a decent bearThat ran up in a tree on POW Island bear hunt last year. Tree was 15 yds from the road. I have video of it. Could not bring myself to shoot even though last day of hunt. Funny thing watched it for about ten minutes and an AK Trooper pulled up got out of his truck and walked over and asked if I was gonna shoot it. I recognized him from AK State Trooper show on Nat Geo.

Last Oct bear hunting and an ok maybe 250 bear was in a pasture trying to feed on choke cherries growing in the ditch. again Next to a logging road maybe 20 yds. I passed in favor of pics with a camera.

My limited experience with Spring bears is grass growing near the snow line on S facing slopes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (673, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1minute, 29aholic, 12 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,941
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.