Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I beg of you...alll of you...regardless of your feelings about SFW...please stop giving this windbag a reason/avenue to continue lecturing everyone.

He's full of more chit than a Christmas Goose and Mark Twain's warning about arguing with fools was never so apropos.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never said it was offensive. I said it was entertaining. Please re-read what I posted. IMO, you were drawing parallels between yourself and Aldo Leopold. Something I'd consider pretty bold considering his impact. I found that funny. Sounds like you got to spend some time with the family. I'm sure they had some interesting stories to share about Aldo. I will let you continue to bask in a Berkeley legacy... wink

Sounds like Defenders lobbies for money to do habitat work, but doesn't put any of their cash directly into the projects. Is that a fair characterization?

You also appear to paint with a pretty broad brush regarding grazing and it's negative impacts. Do you think grazing can be done in and still promote biodiversity at a level that is economically rewarding for the grazer?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM
"Predator friendly beef".... WTF??? Do they have 3 legs so your beloved wolf doesn't have to work as hard to catch one?

Predator friendly beef = no wolves to eat/harass them. My kind of beef! And elk. And deer.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I am not sure that I would agree with your characterization because staff time costs money and staff time was used to lobby for the funding and push for the enabling payments for private lands enhancements as well as hold the workshops with stakeholder to find out exactly which economic incentives would be the most helpful.

All life is about trade-offs. I eat meat and at least some of that comes from cattle. Grazing is always going to have an impact but a lot can be done to minimize the impacts by altering patterns, levels and timing. The impact is never zero but there are gradients that run the gambit from responsible rotational grazing with dedicated buffers for waterways on private lands to overloading on public lands. My preferences lean towards the former and away from the latter. There are large operations doing good collectively like the Malpais Borderland Group (http://www.malpaiborderlandsgroup.org/) and small operations doing similar things. I worked with a group when my wife and I were living in Vermont who started raising yak using similar techniques and their neighbors helped finance a local slaughter facility so that the meet stayed local. Both Malpais and our local yak folks increased biodiversity locally and made enough money to be profitable.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You guys really are no different. You both see the wolf as a cash cow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bobferris
I am not sure that I would agree with your characterization because staff time costs money and staff time was used to lobby for the funding and push for the enabling payments for private lands enhancements as well as hold the workshops with stakeholder to find out exactly which economic incentives would be the most helpful.

All life is about trade-offs. I eat meat and at least some of that comes from cattle. Grazing is always going to have an impact but a lot can be done to minimize the impacts by altering patterns, levels and timing. The impact is never zero but there are gradients that run the gambit from responsible rotational grazing with dedicated buffers for waterways on private lands to overloading on public lands. My preferences lean towards the former and away from the latter. There are large operations doing good collectively like the Malpais Borderland Group (http://www.malpaiborderlandsgroup.org/) and small operations doing similar things. I worked with a group when my wife and I were living in Vermont who started raising yak using similar techniques and their neighbors helped finance a local slaughter facility so that the meet stayed local. Both Malpais and our local yak folks increased biodiversity locally and made enough money to be profitable.
So, the answer is no, Defenders has not put their money directly into a habitat project. Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

Also thanks for almost answering the question of grazing and biodiversity...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Eugene and Corvallis are the epicenter of latte' drinking, pot smoking, Prius driving, Liberal Douchebag pieces of schitt that like nothing better than telling the rest how it should be.

Missoula Montana?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by pointer
Sounds like Defenders lobbies for money to do habitat work, but doesn't put any of their cash directly into the projects. Is that a fair characterization?

Ease up pointer, spending other people's money is hard work, especially if you have to have staff to lobby for it.

For pete's sake man, "Defenders" has lobbied for policies that helped protect prairie dogs, and the guy named his dog after Aldo Leopold!

This is a giant of the modern conservation movement you're talking to, show some respect.

Sorry iddave, I just had to acknowledge this giant among us.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
The Salt Lake Tribune, Eugene and Corvallis are the epicenter of wolf-humping, latte' drinking, pot smoking, Prius driving, Liberal Douchebag pieces of schitt that like nothing better than telling the rest how it should be.

I'm all about making sure the facts are accurate
grin

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

4100fps Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Show one. Prove those places are what you claim. Waiting for a link.

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

Ease up pointer, spending other people's money is hard work, especially if you have to have staff to lobby for it.

For pete's sake man, "Defenders" has lobbied for policies that helped protect prairie dogs, and the guy named his dog after Aldo Leopold!

This is a giant of the modern conservation movement you're talking to, show some respect.

Sorry iddave, I just had to acknowledge this giant among us.

Thank you for the admonishment. Proper amount of demerits awarded. I will do better in the future.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Is it time for pics yet?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a pic of my boot and a big doggy track on a trail we used to pack two elk back the camp the day before.
[Linked Image]

I'm betting BF has many similar such pics he'd like to share with you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4100fps

It's obvious that the "reporter" for the Left Wing Rag, The Salt Lake Tribune, is a wolf-humping Liberal Dikhead. You'll have to ask Oregonmuley for more info on the other places.

Oh, wait....

Check these out after you get through humping bob ferris' leg...

http://hippy.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=90

http://www.yelp.com/list/land-of-grumbling-hippies-eugene

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
The dialogues here remind me a little of the give and take between hunters before a hunt. Like give crap to the kid who shot a hole in his neighbor's floor when he thought the shotgun was unloaded. Or my soon to be 93-year old father who shot an ibis that he mistook for a duck 30 years ago and whenever we see an ibis everyone in the group raises their guns and then lowers them saying oops it just a grampy duck. Every hunter gets that and understands that is the way hunters are and that is the way hunting lessons are re-enforced. What worries me here is the intolerance for the ideas of others and the concept that hunters need to have some monolithic political belief system otherwise they are not real hunters. That makes hunting and hunters vulnerable because it makes them easier to pigeon hole and demonize. If anything the hunting community needs to be more open and needs to attract more hunters like Michael Soule founder of the Society for Conservation Biology who started hunting later in life at the urging of his grad students and a philosophy professor. It is ironic that at the same time that I am fielding snarky comments on this thread that I am also butting heads with animal rights activists who just got outdoor writer and friend Ted Williams removed from the masthead at Audubon Magazine because he opined that feral cat colonies could be poisoned with Tylenol. It is an interesting and complicated world.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here's a pic of my boot and a big doggy track on a trail we used to pack two elk back the camp the day before.
[Linked Image]

I'm betting BF has many similar such pics he'd like to share with you.

NO!!! Girly pics....

I still want to see some of BF's hunting pics.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Venison and Beef-friendly Grey Wolves in the Gila...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM

NO!!! Girly pics....

I still want to see some of BF's hunting pics.

bf's hunting pics will be of him shooting deer in his cannibus garden with a Daisey Red Ryder

4100fps Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by 4100fps

It's obvious that the "reporter" for the Left Wing Rag, The Salt Lake Tribune, is a wolf-humping Liberal Dikhead. You'll have to ask Oregonmuley for more info on the other places.

Oh, wait....

Check these out after you get through humping bob ferris' leg...

http://hippy.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=90

http://www.yelp.com/list/land-of-grumbling-hippies-eugene

boy that proves it, you posted links from personal sites and blogs. Great job rc.

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (264mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,059
Posts18,521,394
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.