Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Well I consider myself a very average handgunner but the reason I reached for the pistol as a hunting tool was not to shoot 1" at 100 yards, it was get close. I have yet to shoot past 50 yards on game with a pistol and most are well under that. On pigs I would say the average is closer to 15 yards, maybe even less.

I shoot a 5" Bilsey in .45lc and have no desire to stretch the range at all. Sure I like to hit rocks and such at longer ranges but the point of using the pistol is getting close, crawling on my knees, meeting a few cactus along the way etc. I am very satisfied shooting open sights and getting 2-3" groups at 50 yards from a out of the box Ruger using my loads. I am sure I could improve the mechanical accuracy but my eyes will not do any better. Spending precious time, powder and primers working with neck tension, modified crimps etc does nothing for me.
Very well said. That my friend is handgun hunting!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BFR,

You're one hundred yard groups are interesting. So are homosexual midgets and the way the doors on a DeLorean open.

It's not that we don't believe these things exist, it's that we just don't care.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
F
F
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
BFR,

You're one hundred yard groups are interesting. So are homosexual midgets and the way the doors on a DeLorean open.

It's not that we don't believe these things exist, it's that we just don't care.

Stop making excuses. You say you don't care because you can't do it yourself.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Frank1
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
BFR,

Stop making excuses. You say you don't care because you can't do it yourself.

They don't see that I like close, very close for hunting and have a distance limit because of revolver power. But accuracy is different and is still essential.
But I think I see why so many have a problem with accuracy and I suspect JWP does the same---THEY BUY AMMO and don't know a set of dies from a nutcracker.
They think I challenge their shooting ability when it is not what I want. I want them to make the revolver shoot and going to the store for a box off the shelf is not going to do it. They can't help each other.
To see you shoot 200 yard groups that makes the regular shooter happy at 25 yards proves it. JWP and many here do not understand a thing I say for making a revolver shoot so they get hostile. To make it worse, we do it with CAST. I seen that picture before and it was with CAST.
No matter the accuracy, to shoot any animal farther then a revolver is capable of a sure kill is a trick and luck and to brag about it is wrong.
I hold a man that shoots a deer at 10 yards as a good hunter. To need a rifle is because you live where you really need one, not a revolver to shoot animals at near 200 yards.
Yet the desire for accuracy from a revolver is still a thing to enjoy and is what I try to help with. No way, shape or form do I advocate hunting farther then what is practical. Yes I can keep all shots on a steel ram at 500 meters (547 yards for those that don't know.) But to shoot at any animal that far is the very height of stupidity. Elmer did it for a NEED yet had to walk in shots.
To show no interest because someone does not care is a good answer and you can't change them. Making noise is good enough. Why buy a revolver? Back up, carry, belly gun---OK but if you hunt with it would you not like to have accuracy? How about just for fun?
Reading rags with a certain writer that wears a Keith hat and shoots 20 yards from a rest but only counts the best 3 out of 6 shots is my point. He shoots factory stuff and can't tell anyone what works.
This forum is not about shooting better or learning. My challenge to JWP is senseless as is it is to others because they don't care and can't grasp the concept.
I retract my challenge.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Do you think you're the only person that can produce accurate handloads? The way you talk you sure act like it. I've been handloading for a while and I promise you I own guns that have not had a factory produced round through it. Its not rocket science. You sure are in love with yourself!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
What do most revolver shooters get at 25 yards? How about 50? Yikes, hit the paper. Go to 100!!!!! �

To me it is unimportant in the extreme what �most revolver shooters� get at any range. Or with any handgun of any kind, or even rifles. What matters to me, and I suspect to most, is what I/they can do in relation to what they want/need to do. I haven�t seen anything in JWP475�s posts that indicate he is unhappy with his shooting ability and I�m much more impressed by his 50-yard hits on shot shells with open sights than I am by your hits using a scope.

My longest kill with a handgun is about 75 yards � a rabbit with a .22 Buckmark. This with iron sights from a standing and unrested position. Another time my hunting buddy and I were shooting our .22 pistols and we decided to pick on a steel �T� fencepost 85 yards out. The fence post was on a hill and shooting about 1 foot above the base made the misses clearly visible on the slope behind it. From a sitting position and using a knee as a rest I found I could hit the post 8 and 9 times out of 10 with the iron sights � not every time to be sure, but 5-7 were on the low side. Good enough for me.

Last time I was at Whittington Center I was shooting the 100-meter steel targets using my Kimber Compact .45. Don�t recall if I hit any but was certainly dancing all around them � close enough for me since the elevated barrel completely obscured the target. Moreover there is a high likelihood I was shooting Winchester white box FMJs even though I handload for all my centerfire handguns.

One of my favorite a favorite targets is clay pigeons at 100 yards with handguns. My.44 Mag revolver has a scope which I sometimes remove but my revolvers in .357 Mag, .327 Federal, .22/.22WM are all naked. I may not get hits every time with the revolvers but I don�t generally miss by much, either, with either handloads or factory ammo.

If you want to pretend you are superior because you use a scope and handloads to shoot tiny groups, have fun doing so. Someday, though, you may want to take the blinders off and get in touch with reality � your way isn�t the only way and for many/most it isn�t even the best way to enjoy handgun shooting.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
They don't see that I like close, very close for hunting and have a distance limit because of revolver power. But accuracy is different and is still essential.
But I think I see why so many have a problem with accuracy and I suspect JWP does the same---THEY BUY AMMO and don't know a set of dies from a nutcracker.
They think I challenge their shooting ability when it is not what I want. I want them to make the revolver shoot and going to the store for a box off the shelf is not going to do it. They can't help each other.
To see you shoot 200 yard groups that makes the regular shooter happy at 25 yards proves it. JWP and many here do not understand a thing I say for making a revolver shoot so they get hostile. To make it worse, we do it with CAST. I seen that picture before and it was with CAST.
No matter the accuracy, to shoot any animal farther then a revolver is capable of a sure kill is a trick and luck and to brag about it is wrong.
I hold a man that shoots a deer at 10 yards as a good hunter. To need a rifle is because you live where you really need one, not a revolver to shoot animals at near 200 yards.
Yet the desire for accuracy from a revolver is still a thing to enjoy and is what I try to help with. No way, shape or form do I advocate hunting farther then what is practical. Yes I can keep all shots on a steel ram at 500 meters (547 yards for those that don't know.) But to shoot at any animal that far is the very height of stupidity. Elmer did it for a NEED yet had to walk in shots.
To show no interest because someone does not care is a good answer and you can't change them. Making noise is good enough. Why buy a revolver? Back up, carry, belly gun---OK but if you hunt with it would you not like to have accuracy? How about just for fun?
Reading rags with a certain writer that wears a Keith hat and shoots 20 yards from a rest but only counts the best 3 out of 6 shots is my point. He shoots factory stuff and can't tell anyone what works.
This forum is not about shooting better or learning. My challenge to JWP is senseless as is it is to others because they don't care and can't grasp the concept.
I retract my challenge.

What in the [bleep] are you talking about?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
[quote=bfrshooter]

If you want to pretend you are superior because you use a scope and handloads to shoot tiny groups, have fun doing so. Someday, though, you may want to take the blinders off and get in touch with reality � your way isn�t the only way and for many/most it isn�t even the best way to enjoy handgun shooting.

+1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
A friend of mine shoots his 357 max DW (scoped and rested) at 200 yards about every time we go out to shoot stuff. He's pretty good at it. 100 yards isn't really a challenge with it (or any DW SuperMag), even for me using the irons.

His farthest shot was at 125 yards on a deer; I'm pretty confident with his rest and a softnose caster even a 200 yard deer would succumb.

I make the bullets, even done some of the loads (there wasn't a source for a 350 LFN out of a 445SM with AA1680).

But alas, the concept doesn't really intrigue me; I'm more of a hind legs and two arms in the wind guy, because it foregoes the need for a precise rest and a handgun system that weighs as much as a rifle, or mostly in my case a shotgun.

To each his own.

FWIW, my fav BFR 45/70 load is a 60% reduced max load of H4895, a 385 LFN, WLRM cap and the appropriate amount of Dacron.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HawkI

FWIW, my fav BFR 45/70 load is a 60% reduced max load of H4895, a 385 LFN, WLRM cap and the appropriate amount of Dacron.....

For loads like that you might want to try a very small dose of HS-6, no filler needed. I use 300 and 350g Oregon Trail Lasercast hardcast bullets over 13.5g HS-6 for 1167fps and 1097fps respectively in my 22" Marlin 1895. Hard to beat them for fun and very accurate. Last time I checked they were only $2.52 per 20 to reload, too.

See http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm for a lot more such loads.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
CH,

Yeah, I know. The point I was trying to make was that there are some pretty knowledgeable handgunners here.

My example was one that maybe the "guru" of all things revolver has not tried. You know, using "dangerous" Dacron filler in, of all things, a revolver.

There's about 20 different ways to do things.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by deflave
I retract my challenge.

What in the [bleep] are you talking about?

Travis

You don't see it? I shoot far, very far for fun. But to hunt and shoot beyond what a revolver kills at is not something I do and neither should anyone else. To brag about a 175 yard shot is stupid, the shot should not be taken.
There is a difference between accuracy and stupidity.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
CH,

Yeah, I know. The point I was trying to make was that there are some pretty knowledgeable handgunners here.

My example was one that maybe the "guru" of all things revolver has not tried. You know, using "dangerous" Dacron filler in, of all things, a revolver.

Good call. Many do not test at all and stick to one thing because of what a rag or expert says. I will never stop learning and refuse to be called "expert."
I am bashed for opinions and it is worse on PM's. Take what I say or leave it, do not ever get superior unless you can prove it. Then I will test what is said and if it is better I will admit it and use it.
Proving is hard for some and will keyboard it to death.
In the end, if you ignore a challenge, you can't do it. Some got nasty to protect their status but refuse to show a single thing. I will go shot to shot and you can use a Ransom Rest.
My belief is that a revolver can shoot and I could care less about the shooter, it is what you feed the revolver.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
CH,

Good call. Many do not test at all and stick to one thing because of what a rag or expert says. I will never stop learning and refuse to be called "expert."
I am bashed for opinions and it is worse on PM's. Take what I say or leave it, do not ever get superior unless you can prove it. Then I will test what is said and if it is better I will admit it and use it.
In the end, if you ignore a challenge, you can't do it. Some got nasty to protect their status but refuse to show a single thing. I will go shot to shot and you can use a Ransom Rest.
My belief is that a revolver can shoot and I could care less about the shooter, it is what you feed the revolver.
still goin huh?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You might shoot better than I do, you might not. Either way, I don't give a rip. For me handguns are for defense and fun and occasional hunting and I have a pile of them. While I'm not the one you challenged, I wouldn't accept even if you did, even if I was sure I could beat you 10 times out of ten. I don't shoot competitively for lots of reasons even though my favorite targets are small targets at long ranges. For revolver fun I much prefer irons to glass even though my .44 Mag wears glass when hunting .Go shoot your little groups with your scoped revolvers and have fun.

As to revolvers, many times it is more about the revolver than the ammo.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by gunchamp
CH,

still goin huh?

Show different other then the keyboard.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 2500HD, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,149 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,486
Posts18,508,963
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.