-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
On the conservative side, I probably shoot 8K of 22 LR, 2K of 22 MRF, 5K of 17 HM2, and 2K of 17 HMR. I shoot 22 LR and 17 HM2 nearly every time I go to the range as a warm up before I shoot expensive ammo. If I can't shoot good groups with the RF rifles, I don't bother wasting ammo by shooting the CF rifles. Time and $$ better spent by just breaking out a plinker and shooting steel 7.62x39 cases at 50'.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shot a box or two last year or so.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Me not so much maybe a couple hundred CB longs for varmint control. But I have 4 nephews that can eat a brick in a afternoon easy. They are coming to town over Easter and I know they all have itchy trigger fingers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just received word that some NRA instructors are having problems finding ammo for their Women On Target pistol classes and that the babe who runs them at our club, doesn't know where to find 22 ammo for her next class.

She does now. ;O)

Be a great idea if them what had the foresight to stay stocked-up, could help out a bit where needed? I'd hate to see any youth events or training classes come up short.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

So I shoot

150 - .22 LR per year
~250 .17 HMR a year
~250 22 Mag a year

If I live another 40 years, and the shelf life of 22 Ammo is ? 15 years ...
So lets say I go for 10 years of ammo

1,500 of .22 LR (3 bricks of .22's)
2,500 of .17HMR (5 bricks)
2,500 of 22 Mag (5 bricks)

Heck I've already got more than that in 22 LR (4 bricks)

S0 WTH are people doing buying 50k rounds of 22's for ?
Maybe I need to stop shooting so much high power and practice with 22's.

22 LR.. 5 to 6,000 rounds per year... occasionally more, seldom less...

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I enjoy a bit of shooting with my CZ453 in their heavy barreled "varmint" model with a 4-12x40 scope with A/O exactly like the scope I have on my Ruger #1 RSI (ala "International") which has a Mannlicher-style stock, an after-market Kepplinger Single-Set Trigger (like the CZ's factory singe-set trigger) and is in 7x57.

I love the tight little groups the CZ makes and well it should since I had my gunsmith pillar-bed the action, glas-bed the receiver and re-float the heavy barrel.

I bought and use the CZ to make several 5-shot groups between single shots with the #1 in order to allow the #1's barrel to cool down before taking another shot. By doing this, the #1 has turned in 3-shot groups as small as .176 inches with my moderate velocity hand-loads.

But occasionally, I take the CZ (only) to my Club's rifle range and shoot groups with it off the bench rest... and it does a pretty good job with Wolf Match/Target ammo if I do my part.

Oddly enough, it does almost as well with CCI's Mini-Mag, high-velocity, hollow points which initially surprised me after trying and eliminating over 30 different brands/types of .22 rimfire ammunition.

But all-in-all, I doubt if I shoot more than a thousand rounds a year of the rimfire stuff... it just doesn't give me the "fun" that shooting the center-fire rifles seem to give me... and with the cost of .22 rimfire ammo going crazy, my flintlock and cap-lock rifles are looking better and better!

Shot-for-shot, the muzzle loaders aren't less expensive to shoot than the .22 rimfire, but they take a lot longer to load... which makes for a full afternoon of shooting for "chump change" compared to rimfire prices these days.

Butttttttt... a fella should shoot whatever "floats-his-boat", I supposed... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I picked up a brick or two every now and then when times were good, and times are still good:

[Linked Image]

WOW - in a year or two from now, when 22LR is back.
I'm moving $ out of my 401K and into ammo.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
100 round a week, I would like to up it to around 150-200 rounds.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thought about shooting some RF today but I might dust off an old Ithaca 20 ga for old times sake. Does that count?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I normally shoot a few thousand rounds of 22LR a year. I by no means shoot as much as I would like to. So at this consumption rate, I'm good for ... well a long time on plinking ammo.

If somebody offered to sell me 10 cases at slightly higher than normal pricing, I'd probably pass. But I might take a couple cases.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Probably only 250 to 300/year. To be honest, they bore me. When I practice for hunting, I use the real thing....However, people hoarding and making it almost impossible for the working man to buy ammo and reloading supplies really piss me off. Good thing I keep enough supplies on hand to keep me shooting for a while.... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been paying better attention the to volume of .22 rounds i shoot since it has become scarce.
i have gone through @2K+ in the last two months
with nicer temperatures due any day i would expect that to go up..
so maybe 12,000-15,000 per year range

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Developing a cache of ammunition you shoot is important so that you don't have to go to the store just to go shooting. How big a cache is the subject of many discussions. With the current shortage, the cache maintains normacy to shooting habits.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Our shooting is divided into two periods, pre-Mama CCW and post, long about last August. In the pre-period I'd shoot a couple hundred 22LR per year. Now with Mama taking up the sport, we'll do 200 to 400 month in 22LR with a like amount in 9mm. Fortunately we had a some 22 inventory before the panic and have found some here and there at the low end of the panic price range to keep up.

The whole thing just ticks me off. Started reloading in December and didn't have a lot of components...and now it's just crap. As someone mentioned, for practice/plinking we're going with cast bullets, etc., and having a ball. And I'll find primers/bullets at the low side of things. Still, it's not what was expected.

When things get more normal over the summer (I hope) we'll lay in a couple years worth of ammo and components.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 25 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 1,029 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,850
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.