Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The other thing about the 3/4 vs. 1/2 ton debate is the added strenth of the 3/4 ton running gear. Most of the serious off roaders I know have learned that a 3/4 ton truck doesn't break nearly as easily as the 1/2 ton stuff does in really bad country. For that reason, I've never owned a 1/2 ton, 4WD truck. E

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Times have changed..My '08 Ford F-150 has all but the exact numbers as my '76 Ford F-250 had.The F-150 is a towing machine towing my 31 ft trailer with ease.It will haul anything my old F-250 would and did....I believe my F-150 is rated at 9400 lbs towing but with adjustments up to 11,000 lbs.

Can't disagree with getting a F-250 or 3/4 ton except for the extra cost.I have more torque in my 5.4 ltr 1/2 ton than my son does in his 2500 HD 3/4 chevy.

If the price was the same which it wasn't when I bought mine,I would get a 3/4 ton but the extra bucks was not worth it to me when the newer 1/2 tons are equal to the older 3/4 tons.

Jayco

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
So, you are saying your 08, 150 has the same running gear, that's axles, differentials, drive shafts and transfer case as the older 3/4 ton trucks ?
I don't think so. E

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm saying that Ford backs there F-150 to above the old F-250 specs.They back towing over 11,000 pounds in a 1/2 ton and the sticker on the door say's 7400 lbs which is the same as my old F-250.

Times have changed dude and I have been towing since I was 15 years old.My sons 6.0 Chevy 2500 HD has "Less" torque than my Ford F-150 and as we all know,torque is very important towing.

I am saying that my F-150 has the same specs as my old Ford F-250 for towing and cargo weight with more horses and torque and "Ford" backs it on there warranty....That's just the way it is,like it or not....

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What version is your F-150? Your tow numbers seem awfully high for a 1/2 ton gasser.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Crew cab 4X4..With the 6 speed tranny it is good to 11k towing.

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
what engine and axle gearing?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It's alittle harder for me on an Android tablet to search and copy,but here is my first search and the 2008 is the same...

The 2009 and 2010 Ford F150 trucks have a max tow rating of 11,500 pounds when properly equipped. (5.4L V8, max towing package, crew cab, etc

Jayco

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I mention running gear strenth and you are talking about towing capabilities. Perhaps you think they are the same ?
Really ? All of the serious off road rock crawlers I know either start with a 3/4 ton truck or put the same running gear in anything else, even Jeeps.
I do agree that towing capabilities have gotten better. But that's from much better transmitions and better engines than it is from stronger running gear. E

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Maybe you should re-read the original post.I saw nothing about rock crawling but guess what,I did about towing....hmmmmmmm

Jayco

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Towing is one thing. Hauling is another. Just to compare a couple, the specs on a '13 Tundra double cab shows 1325lb payload. The Dodge crewcab 2500 is 800lb MORE. That's a lot of groceries.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
He didnt ask that either.He asked about carrying a 4-wheeler in his truck and hauling a trailer...Now that we know the 1/2 ton ford can tow 11,500 pounds and has a payload of over 3/4 ton,why again does he need a 3/4 ton?

I made my living daily hauling diesel and heavy parts back into some nasty places so I don't need a lecture on 3/4 ton versus 1/2 ton...3/4 tons have there place and most all of my rigs were 3/4 ton atleast.

But I don't do that every day anymore so a 1/2 ton that is equal to the old 3/4 ton is all I need.If it was daily I hauled heavy loads and towed close to max,then the 3/4 ton makes more sense....

The question he asked did not include hauling heavy loads that exceed 3/4 ton nor was it rock climbing...It was throwing an atv in the back of the truck and hooking up to his camper and beating foot to the woods or a family trip which suits just about all the newer 1/2 ton needs along with up to 25mpg.

Jayco

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
In 2012 Ford improved there F-150 to have a payload of up to 2590 lbs...That's right almost 2600 pounds of payload in an F-150 a so called 1/2 ton...Times have certainly changed...1/2 ton trucks are no longer 1/2 ton trucks other than by name and backed by warranty.

Changes to the Payload Capacity for Different SuperCrew Vehicles

Two of the SuperCrew models are receiving major upgrades to the payload capacity that will significantly improve their carrying capabilities. The 2012 EcoBoost two-wheel drive SuperCrew will receive an expanded bed to 6.5 feet, which will allow the total payload to be increased from an already impressive 2000 pounds up to a massive 2590 pounds. The 4x4 model of the SuperCrew will also be enhanced. In this case, the upgrade will shift the payload capacity from 1890 pounds up to 2340 pounds. The 6.5 foot loading area will be the same for this vehicle as for the two-wheel drive model.

Reasons for the Payload Change

It's common for truck manufacturers to make upgrades to the total payload capacity of a vehicle with subsequent model years and new designs. However, a massive payload increase of several hundred pounds is generally considered to be unique in the pickup world. One primary reason that Ford may have decided to make this adjustment is that the heavier payload capacity is already in place for the larger versions of the F-150, the Regular cab and the SuperCab. Adding the improved payload to the SuperCrew model will enhance the overall capabilities of the vehicle, as well as its attractiveness as a smaller, though still sturdy, alternative.

How the Payload Increase Was Achieved

A number of changes will be made to the design of the SuperCrew in order to facilitate this increase in total payload. The frame rails will be made thicker and the shock absorbers altered to accommodate a heavier load. Also, Ford will add an auxiliary engine and transmission cooling systems to help ensure that the vehicle doesn't overheat under the additional stress of an added payload. Seven-lug wheels will also be available on the upgraded SuperCrew, as opposed to the lighter weight six-lug wheels from previous models.

The new 2012 edition of the SuperCrew should be effective at accomplishing almost every task that you might desire for your vehicle. However, the additional weight may lower the overall fuel economy of the vehicle.

Jayco

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Partagas
...I am leaning toward a 3/4 ton probably gas...
I will probably pull horses...
the promise of better gas mileage and lower initial cost brings me back to the half tons. I am considering selling the slidein and getting a smaller camper trailer, maybe a toyhauler. I would probably then have a fourwheeler in the bed of the truck and pull the camper. This is something I think most half tons are capable of though we do have large mountain passes here...
I want a crew cab...

Once you said it had to be a crew cab, you're really also saying 3/4 ton. But if an extended cab will do, a 1/2 ton would be OK and would be plenty for pulling a couple horses.

Normal maintenance is costlier on 3/4 ton trucks (tires, brakes...). But if you are going to load the truck and tow, too, get the HD truck.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I recently traded off an older Chev light duty 3/4. It was rated about 1/2 way between a 1/2 and a 3/4. My partner had an identical truck in 1/2 ton. When we used his truck pulling a 20' camper with an ATV in the back, we had to use an equalizer hitch. With mine we didn't. Even without the ATV, his had some sway that mine didn't.
Just an extra 400lb of weight capacity made a big difference.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Speaking of older trucks and pulling,I had a '74 GMC 3/4 ton with the 454 engine for pulling my stuff around.I thought it was king kong untill I bought a 40 ft mobile home(good deal) to live and work in inbetween wives.For heat it had the old oil drip stove.

First,it set it down hard so I bought some of those old hd coil springs that clamped to your axle.That made it towable.Ofcourse with the mobile home axle,equalizers were out.It worked but sure not ideal,that was a job for a 1-ton,not a 3/4 ton.

Anyone that toes alot knows that an equalizer hitch and sway bars are a very good investment if there towing anything above a tuna can with some weight.It only takes onetime in heavy winds to make you a believer or that semi sceaming by you that makes you whip slightly and ofcourse in the snow,both help you not to jack if the trailer slips.There not sissy bars,they help out alot in non common conditions.King kongs and maucho men don't cut it towing.

The opp asked about towing with a modern 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton not the dinosaurs of old.Remember the old ford F-100...The modern 1/2 ton trucks come with the same specs as the old 3/4 tons with GVWR's of over 7,000 lbs such as my old 3/4 ton Ford and Chevy had.

The 5.4 Triton my 1/2 ton has, has the same horsepower(300hp) as my sons 6.0 in his 4X4 Chevy 2500 HD but it has more "Torque"(325 out of memory) than his 3/4 ton.The way mine is set up,I am good to 9400 lbs towing with a payload of over 1500 lbs(3/4 ton) which is just dandy for my uses,the very same as the opp and I can pull my 31 ft trailer at 50 mph over Whitebird hill,the test all should try on the famous grade...

I've pulled everything up to that 40 ft mobile home/35 ft Jayco/34 ft Terry and many below that with 454's down to the old 283 Chevy(damn good engine) and I even had a 325 HP/327 engine which I altered to pull.

Unless you need a full time rig to work hard daily pulling Max loads and carrying Max cargo day in and day out....The new/modern 1/2 tons fill that shoe with ease.You just pick one with the equipment you need to do what you want and you won't have to watch the gas guage act like a Tachometer on a huge 454 type engine and frame with payload capacities to 2600 lbs and towing to 11,500 with company warranties to back it up,some going to 100,000 miles on there warranty.

Times have changed since some of our dinosaur days of towing and hauling,I've been there done that, just like some others here.....

Jayco

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I had an85 Ford 3/4T dually, 460 engine, 4:11 rear end and it would not pull sqaut either.3MPG when loaded with a 20 ft gooseneck and 15 miles an hour going up mountain passes,if it didn't vapor lock 1/2 way up. Prior to that I had Dodge 3/4T with the old 383, in it , 4:10 rear end and itwould out pul that Ford 460 andget bette gas mileage.
I also have 2004 Tacoma and although rated 3/4 T. I would not pull any heavy trailers with it.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's not just max torque that matters, but at what rpm you hit it it. I have had modern 1/2 ton gassers, and factory numbers not withstanding, they don't tow or haul like my Cummins does, especially over the Divide. Towing has become effortless.

I don't particularly care for my 3/4 for daily driving, but when used as a truck, it is just another world away from my half tons. I used to look at the numbers and thought I'd be fine with my half ton hauling our camper over hill and dale, but I would never go back at this point. If you don't tow much or plan to load up the bed, it's unnecessary.

If a truck camper is ever in your plans, definitely go 3/4 or more.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Who would argue Diesel versus gas for towing?Besides my RV pulling I owned semi's,everything from the 5 speed with the 4 gear brownie to the new 13 and 20 speed trannies.Hauled logs/lumber/grain/refers and equipment.

But that wasn't the question.A modern 1/2 ton is more than capable of putting a 4-wheeler in the back and hooking onto a rv trailer.I do it all the time....To say you need a 3/4 ton just for that,is rediculious.98 or 99% of the time is not loaded and not climbing grades.....

I certainly agree on a 3/4 ton for overhead campers,that's why ford had two F-250's...One was a regular 3/4 ton and the other a "Camper Special" made for hauling the heavy overhead campers with extra goodies that are required for a constant heavy/high/tippy load.

But that was never mentioned in the opps question...Just an atv in the back and a travel trailer which is an easy chore for a modern 1/2 ton.

Jayco

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Actually, he did mention having a truck camper in the past, which is why I addressed it in case he was thinking of another down the road. I'll also say it depends on the camper he's towing and how long he wants to get out go his truck. Personally, I don't like towing anywhere close to maxed out in the hills.

The thing is, a 3/4 will do everything a 1/2 ton will, but once you invest in a half ton, you can't "grow" it.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1minute, 007FJ, 270cowboy, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,557
Posts18,491,741
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.