Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How much Dynamite did you use?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Holly Smoke ! Is there anything you and your friends don't do well ? Very impressive, and thoughtfully done. Odviously the place isn't over fished. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
serious question for you and others that keep bass, do you use the livewell or do you put them right on ice? I do a fair amount of walleye fishing in the U.P., own a little chunk of dirt on a decent lake... we catch quite a few pike while walleye fishing, if put in livewell/stringer, they get soft and fishy tasteing quite quickly in all but the coldest water. We always keep the cooler full of ice, and those pike that go straight to ice are just as good if not better than the walleyes when we eat them.
Just wondering if you southern boys were doing the same

1/504 PIR
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Like you, we keep an igloo full of ice and chunk 'em right in there. We fish out of welded aluminum, flat bottom johnboats, about 16'long x 55" wide with 25 horse Yamahas that are bulletproof. The flats that we fish are a mass of laydowns, stumps, etc, some you see and some you don't. You can't even get to most of the fish because of it, and a full size bass boat doesn't have a chance in spots like this.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool! Thanks for sharing.

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good on you JG -

The naysayers are funny trying to educate you on fishing ethics.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Cool, sounds like the Dixie version of my U.P. lake. The road to our landing sends most of the "sparkly" boats heading back to where they came from.
One other question, do you scale em or skin em? For us it s totally a matter of time available, and amount of fish. When we know that big numbers are a real possibility, we use our drum scalers. The skin on our species, to me, really adds to the quality of taste to the fillets.

1/504 PIR
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Many Thanks for posting that picture. I'm not a big fan of eating bass, but do partake in a few meals a year. wink Catching them is another story indeed. smile

Serious question. Do you release small ones, I'm assuming you do, and if so what is the smallest you do keep?

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Idared, we release all fish 14" or less, and all big females over 5lbs or so. Every once in a while, when fileting out the fish, one of the 5+lb fish will be a spawned out female, but it is rare for us to make that mistake.

Stripe, we use an electric knife to filet each side of the fish, leaving no skin. After we cut out the rib cage we're left with a beautiful and quite tasty, boneless filet of fish. We love to fry 'em up in a spicy corn meal crust. My coonass buds are also quite proficient at seasoning, baking, and smothering with a crabmeat sauce or etouffee. I hate when that happens......

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
To each his own but I have eaten those grass carp in the past visiting friends in Texas and thought they tasted terrible. Fun to catch and that's it for me. Pretty sad to live somewhere where largemouth bass are considered edible. Maybe all that Mexican food in Texas has burned your taste buds off. grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Pictures like that make me sick!

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Idared, we release all fish 14" or less, and all big females over 5lbs or so. Every once in a while, when fileting out the fish, one of the 5+lb fish will be a spawned out female, but it is rare for us to make that mistake.

My hat is off to you folks. I've seen a lot of LMB under 14 inches caught that weren't released, even some by folks who considered themselves avid bass fisherman.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I figured guys around here would enjoy a pretty cool picture of some spring time fun. I'm quite surprised at the bawlin' and squawlin' going on here.

You think this is bad? Try posting a pic of a plump spike or forkhorn on some of the sites ruled by QDMA proponents. Those folks are off their rocker fanatical about what they think you should be allowed to do on your own land.

I think I would do that just to hear the whinning. grin

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Then quit lookin

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just come on over to the Michigan Sportsman's forum. You'll get your fill PDQ. Especially since the state is on the verge of mandating antler point restrictions in 12 counties that have never had them before.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by M7300SAUM
To each his own but I have eaten those grass carp in the past visiting friends in Texas and thought they tasted terrible. Fun to catch and that's it for me. Pretty sad to live somewhere where largemouth bass are considered edible. Maybe all that Mexican food in Texas has burned your taste buds off. grin

Your friends obviously don't know what they're doing. It ain't sad living where I live I assure you, so you can quit feeling sorry for me.

reelman......don't be a puzzzy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally, I'm a catch and release guy, but others should do as they please far as I'm concerned. To the person who suggested that those "Bass Master" tournament guys would have a problem with that, I'd tell any and all of those douchebags to take a hike.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by M7300SAUM

If you don't like Bass then there is something wrong with you

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by MColeman
What's the daily limit there? I'd question the wisdom of taking so many spawning bass.
According to Pat Mcmanus, "All you can catch plus one". wink

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

451 members (10Glocks, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 41 invisible), 1,857 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,418
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.