Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Here's the scenario; you've come into an obscene amount of money. That uncle that your father always spoke of was an oil tycoon, a generous one.

You book 5 safaris, price unimportant. These 5 safaris are for Spiral Horned Antelopes ONLY. What would they be? and where would they be.

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Kudu: Limpopo and East Cape,SA
Bushbuck: SA
Nyala: SA or Namibia
Eland: ?

Last edited by fgold767; 03/20/13.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Mountain Nyala/Menelik Bushbuck - Ethiopia, of course

Lord Derby Eland - Cameroon

Sitatunga/Lesser Kudu - Tanzania

Bongo - Liberia or Cameroon

Western Greater Kudu - Central African Republic

Last edited by pinotguy; 03/20/13.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by fgold767
Gemsbuck: Namibia

Gemsbok is not one of the "spiral horned" antelope.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by pinotguy

Excellent choices!! Western Greater Kudu, I don't know if they are even there. I hunted CAR with Mike Fell last year and he was telling me about hunting them in Chad before it got too dangerous. Please correct me if my information is bad.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by fgold767
Gemsbuck: Namibia

Gemsbok is not one of the "spiral horned" antelope.

oops....I knew that of course,,,,,,my bad...too much of a hurry to be first to respond to think correctly...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lesser Kudu, Kenya
Bongo, C.A.R.
Mountain Nyala, Ethiopia
Giant Eland
Sitatunga, Zambia

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lord derby - CAR
Livingstone eland - Zimbabwe
Menelik bushbuck - wherever
Mountain nyala - wherever

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by PieterKriel
Lord derby - CAR

Just four?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Chipolopolo
Originally Posted by PieterKriel
Lord derby - CAR

Just four?

It's a 21 dy hunt for the L Derby. I have to take care of personal business outside the hunting and then theres a huge white tail in NA that has my name on it somewhere! That's a lot of hunting in a season and I have a young wife at home.

IC B3

N
N
I enjoy the Spiral horns. I have hunted 3 types of eland, 4 types of bushbuck, greater and Lesser Kudu plus forest sitatunga (never found a monster), and Bongo. Each was more exciting and difficult than either cape Buffalo or Elephant.

Yes there are Western Greater Kudu in CAR. Just don't be a pansy about the flying lead.

Any spiral horn is more difficult and challenging than shooting a leopard or lion from a dead rest at 50 yards.

C
C
Hunt 1. Cameroon:
Giant Eland
Bongo

Hunt 2. Uganda:
Sititunga
Bushbuck

Hunt 3. Ethiopia:
Mountain Nyala
Lesser Kudu

Hunt 4. Mozambique:
Southern Greater Kudu
Common Eland
Common Nyala

and since this is a "Dream"...

Hunt 5. Niger:
Addax

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Navaluk
I enjoy the Spiral horns. I have hunted 3 types of eland, 4 types of bushbuck, greater and Lesser Kudu plus forest sitatunga (never found a monster), and Bongo. Each was more exciting and difficult than either cape Buffalo or Elephant.

Yes there are Western Greater Kudu in CAR. Just don't be a pansy about the flying lead.

Any spiral horn is more difficult and challenging than shooting a leopard or lion from a dead rest at 50 yards.

I agree with you on the hunting of specific spiral horns. You must be dedicated to "hold out" for the right one. All I have left is Forest Sitatunga, Mt. Nyala, Meneliks Bushbuck and lesser kudu. A Buffalo or Elephant hunt is a great and noble hunt, just physically and mentally not very challenging.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hardest hunt I've ever done was Cape Buffalo in the Dande North. Finally scored on the fifth day but the terrain and bush were challenging indeed. Can't attest to the Bingo, Lord Derby as I've never hunted those, but my kudu and bushbuck were relatively easy. Both of those were in the Zim Lowveldt. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Hardest hunt I've ever done was Cape Buffalo in the Dande North. Finally scored on the fifth day but the terrain and bush were challenging indeed. Can't attest to the Bingo, Lord Derby as I've never hunted those, but my kudu and bushbuck were relatively easy. Both of those were in the Zim Lowveldt. jorge

Hi Jorge,

I too have had tough buffalo hunts in east and southern Africa. My LDE hunt; we picked up a large herd on day two. We tracked the herd from say....10 am and tracked them till dark (we actually did catch them), three hours in the dark back to the cruiser. Then the next morning from that point till dark again. We did this for four days straight. On day five on track of the same herd, we caught them at a muddy wallow, in the open at noon.

We figure we had walked 25-30K every day. It was really not very difficult, walking on flat ground. I am a bicycle rider / racer and physically it was not too hard. But the walking combined with the heat, the mental aspect and just the long days, it weighs on you. It is nearly impossible to drink enough water as the tracking pace is brisk most of the time. Dehydration eventually comes into play as well.

Secondly, CAR is a difficult place just getting into. The legendary walking ability of Lord Derby's Eland is factual, not a legend. All the Savanah animals in CAR are tracked. You see nearly zilch from the cruiser. Opportunistic animals are really not run into.

Regards,

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Those would work for me!!! I love the spiral horns.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Chipolopolo
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Hi Jorge,

I too have had tough buffalo hunts in east and southern Africa. My LDE hunt; we picked up a large herd on day two. We tracked the herd from say....10 am and tracked them till dark (we actually did catch them), three hours in the dark back to the cruiser. Then the next morning from that point till dark again. We did this for four days straight. On day five on track of the same herd, we caught them at a muddy wallow, in the open at noon.

We figure we had walked 25-30K every day. It was really not very difficult, walking on flat ground. I am a bicycle rider / racer and physically it was not too hard. But the walking combined with the heat, the mental aspect and just the long days, it weighs on you. It is nearly impossible to drink enough water as the tracking pace is brisk most of the time. Dehydration eventually comes into play as well.

Secondly, CAR is a difficult place just getting into. The legendary walking ability of Lord Derby's Eland is factual, not a legend. All the Savanah animals in CAR are tracked. You see nearly zilch from the cruiser. Opportunistic animals are really not run into.

Regards,

Steve

I can only imagine tracking Lord Derbys in the heat and Bongo as well. Up in Dande North the terrain is pretty rugged, nary a flat piece at least where we were. I was still active duty then and ran 3-5 miles daily but it was still very tough.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Hi Jorge,

The Bongo was difficult in other ways. Loooooooong days sitting in machans. 11 to be exact. I would like to try dogs in Cameroon to see what the difference is.

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunted elk in the high Rockies about 20 years ago when I was young man and if I had it to do over I would take a spare set of lungs as a backup, moose in Canada trudging through that water logged lichen stuff was no walk in the park either. That, along with the fact I struck out on both hunts makes me aim for the easy hunts these days.

Last edited by ColKlink; 03/22/13.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I have no desire for any spiral horns except for the kudu now hanging on my wall.

So instead I'd book an elephant hunt, a leopard hunt, and a lion hunt.

Two more to go? How about a second lion hunt and elephant hunt.

In Dande North you can book a Big-4 hunt. I did that and got all but the leopard. But I got a hippo and, if you want, you can probably get a 15' crocodile. Maybe I'd just book five hunts in Dande North.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (anothergun, Amos63, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 12 invisible), 1,683 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,826
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.