Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I found pretty good prices at midsouth shooters, what other places should I be checking out as I start buying molds (got most of the rest already)

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Midsouth is pretty hard to beat as far as pricing and service. Unfortunately like a lot of other places they are out of stock on many items. I would be interested in any comparable sources as well.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I would Google mold manufacturers, and shop directly from them. Prices are about the same and you're cutting out the middle man. Scout eBay too. Sometimes you find a bargain there. The want ads on the cast bullet forums are another good bet.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tom at Accuratemolds.com is where I get mine.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
NOE, and Tom at Accuratemolds are good ones, there is also OWBM.(Old West Bullet Molds)

I personally would stay away from NEI.

Lee has some good 6C moulds too, along with Lyman and Saeco, which you can get at Midway, or Midsouth, or any other like vendor.

Last edited by blammer; 03/10/13.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
IC B2

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Along with the already mentioned,you might try Veral Smith's LBT or Mountain moulds.Both have built moulds for me that functioned quite well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll add Balisticast and Mihec to the list.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are LBT molds still available? If so, where?

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LBT has a website up:

http://www.lbtmoulds.com/moulds.shtml

That said he has been in the clink several times for tax evasion so not sure what his status is.

Not to knock LBT molds, but IMHO for the money I'd get a Balisticast, and for an equal quality mold for less money I'd get a Mountain Molds.

F
F
Go with LBT. He has other items in his catalog that are also useful, such as the book which sums it all up, throat slugs for every caliber, lapping kit, LBT lubes and custom 2 or 4 cavity done on a laser lathe which is the most precise method for making professional high quality molds. More commercial bullet makers today depend on LBT craftsmanship than any other manufacturer. LBT bullets have killed thousands of game throughout the world. Remember, quality over quantity. Go with LBT.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be suprised if any commercial casters use LBT molds, they simply won't hold up to production runs. I think you'll find most production companies are running ballisticast molds.

I've cast bullets from both Ballisticast and LBT molds and there is no difference in accuracy.

F
F
Montana bullet works uses LBT molds. Your company, Ballisticast, sold their business recently. Who are the new owners? Do they use cherries?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by blammer
NOE, and Tom at Accuratemolds are good ones, there is also OWBM.(Old West Bullet Molds)

I personally would stay away from NEI.

Lee has some good 6C moulds too, along with Lyman and Saeco, which you can get at Midway, or Midsouth, or any other like vendor.

now I freely admit I have not purchased a mould from these guys in the last 6 years, but I have well over a dozen moulds made by them, and while delivery is a bit slow the quality was very good, so Im curious if things have gone bad lately

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've spoken or heard from people who've recently purchased moulds from NEI. They were not happy.

I have personally had moulds from NEI and I will not buy from them anymore, nor will I recommend them.

Walt died and the quality has suffered ever since.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have a NOE made by Swede for my 9.3x62 that drops the most gorgeous boolit you ever cast!

Semper Fi USMC/0331
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I use LBT for both my 1911 and NMBH in 45 Colt. They've both killed game to include a 62" Alaska Yukon bull moose for the LC. My 9.3x62 also gets fed a diet of light, 168 gr, LBT's. Just recently I purchased an NOE for my M1A1 .30 Carbine; a 115 gr RN GC, 4 cavity, that has yet to get sized as I'm still waiting on my sizer die. Should be here Tue and shooting by the weekend.

Alan

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Well I broke down and ordered my first mold from Accurate Molds today.

Their model # 45-250G with a gas check and a .452 dia. 3 slug Brass mold.

I have given up on the hollow point molds for the moment. I all ways do things the hard way right out of the gate and I think this time I will start slow.

I hope that they do not take 6 months but I do know that when they get to it they get to it.

Thanks for all of your guy's help. I know there are a lot of members here that appreciate the info. they get on the Fire

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
a good meplat on your 45 and NOTHING will escape you with a good shot, Not even the dreaded paper target! LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I predict you'll love the mould from Accurate. I have four and am considering a fifth one. I don't like the trough in the sprue plate, though.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I will be ladle pouring at least at first I do not have an electric pot.

I ladle filled my .760 ball mold for my Blunderbuss and it worked out real good but it has been 20 years since did that.

MColeman It was due to your suggestion why I went with the Accurate mold.

Is it cheaper to make your own lube or are there liability's with gun safety. for what you get and the cost of shipping on the purchased stuff, making it my self looks like the way to go. Or is it a huge hassle.

I appreciate all of the help I get here on the Fire and can not Thank members enough on how they have helped me in the right direction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (338Rules, AdventureBound, 406_SBC, 907brass, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,322 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,938
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.