Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
This has been a VERY difficult decision for my wife and me. We have moved from the Wisconsin northwoods with boundless room to a condo in a suburban setting where we will both be gone from home 12-14 hours/day the same 3-4 days each week. We think it would be in the best interest of our dog, Gunner, to be with a family with time and space suitable for the high-energy Drahthaar breed.

Gunner is a 2 1/2 year old tattooed/registered Deutsch Drathaar male. He weighs 70 lbs and has been neutered. He is mild-mannered, very good with even small children and listens very well to voice commands. He has developed into a fine pointing dog and a good retreiver. I say "good" at this point only because he is a little hesitant with pheasants. He retrieves grouse and woodcock very well, but will need a little force-fetch work on pheasants. He swims as well as my best Lab whose footsteps he follows. Gunner is an excellent watch dog who warns of us of approaching visitors, but he is not a continuous barker. He is a family dog who lives in the house with us. He is completely house broken and does not chew anything but his toys. He walks at heel without a leash even when other dogs are close by. A simple "Gunner heel!" to remind him is all it takes. He is very affectionate and when hunting comes back to me every 10-15 minutes (without calling him) just to see that I am OK. He has hunted South Dakota and all over Wisconsin.

After reading what I just typed, I am wondering what the hell I am doing!! Believe me, I am not doing this for me -- it is for Gunner. I'd like to find someone in Wisconsin to take him, but anywhere else works if willing to drive here to get him. I am not asking any payment for Gunner except a good home with lots of space outside and bird hunters in the family. This is not going to be a first "I'll take it" arrangement. I'd like to talk via phone with anyone interested. Families with kids who are about to start hunting will be given preference. The final decision where he goes will be mine. I have two kennels, an insulated kennel cover, an electronic training collar, Drahthaar training materials, retrieving dummies, grooming tools, leashes and tie-outs, food dishes and 50# of his favorite food available for a reasonable cost.

PM your phone number and I will call you.

Last edited by cjkostic; 03/23/13.
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My heart goes out to ya, tough decision! If you were anywhere near me I would consider a visit with my pointers and child to see if we would be a fit with Gunner.
Good luck and I hope ya find a home close enough for you to keep in touch with him

Somewhere, there is a village missing its idiot!!!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
cjkostic,

PM in-bound.

Thank you,

John

Last edited by TrueAt1stLight; 03/23/13.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Did he pass the Armbruster?Doubt if neutered.Find a DD club close by&let them know.Then hell be close by&with one of us.call if any questions.504.888.1008

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I would love to have him but I cannot provide the care he needs. I had to make that difficult decision when leaving for the military in 1968 with three smooth haired fox terriers. I still choke up over them after all these years.

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Sorry to Hear of this tuff, tuff decision. He sounds like a heck of a nice bird dog who just needs a new home where they have space for him, he will be hunted and become a member of the family.

If the right person doesnt step up here, there are a number of other bird dog sites you might try also.

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PM sent as well.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dying for a call- Gunner would be in paradise here!

-John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueAt1stLight
Dying for a call- Gunner would be in paradise here!

-John
Sounds like a great future home waiting right there...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
All of us who, at one stage of life or another, have enjoyed the company of a good dog are heartsick for you. Best of luck to everyone; most of all Gunner. I hope you'll let us know how this turns out.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Did he pass the Armbruster?doubt if hes neutered.find a nearby DD club&let them know your plight.hell be close by&with one of us.if you have any questions call me.504.888.1008.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Makes me wish I still lived on the farm. I'd even let you come down and hunt with us.....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What a tough decision! I hope he finds a loving hunting home. He sounds like a great friend and companion.

L2S

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the kind words and support everyone. It's why I decided to look for a new home for Gunner here. I will be making calls in the morning.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Boy I wish I could make something work out with this dog,Have about everything you described,Live on a farm with lots of room,couple kids and until last year raised 2000-3000 chuckar/quail a year to turn loose on the farm to hunt.
Main set-back is not wanting an inside dog. If you don't find anyone that you feel is a good fit for Gunner let me know and I like to visit with you Thanks Jerrad

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I want gunner. Been looking and reading hard on drahthars. Thought I had a pup bought but he got sold out from under me. Live in west tn and love to hunt

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm in MD and if we could work out how to get him here I would love to give him a home. My old roommate has one and they are great dogs.
I don't do as much upland hunting since moving out east but I do a lot of duck. I have a private pond and creek beside my house for him to swim in every day.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Have been thinking about this sad story and hoping for a HAPPY ENDING for all concerned. Several options exist. Hope the OP will post the final outcome on this thread.

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Good morning everyone. First, let me thank you all for your kind words and support during this tough decision. I was contacted by a young man from Minnesota who described his situation as exactly what I was looking for for Gunner. After we talked on the phone yesterday morning I was convinced that he, his wife, his soon-to-be-born daughter and nine month old German Shorthair would be the perfect family for Gunner. At my request, he jumped in his SUV, drove 250 miles and met me in Wausau, WI as I was on my way to my cabin in the north. Upon meeting him in person, I knew I made the right decision. Gunner, the lucky dog, is now living in a resort-like setting on a private lake in Minnesota with a bird-hunting-crazy family and a new playmate.

An interesting coincidence??? As I talked about Gunner's background, John told me that he has a hunting buddy who has a Drathaar born at the same time (Nov. 2010) in the same city (Salt Lake City). There is a possibility, though remote, Gunner may be hunting with one of his litter mates in the future!

Thanks again everyone -- it's why I love the Campfire!

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good result.

Retired cat herder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,782
Posts18,515,787
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.