Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Several times with a gun but never with a bow.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
largest whitetail i've killed came in from the right in hot pursuit of a doe. Couldn't turn as the does was ahead of him and about 75 yds and looking up toward me, he was about 100 yds. I had a rest, but had to shoot with left hand, one handed as I oculdn't turn for fear of spooking her. Trotting facing me, hit him square in chest from front. drt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ringworm
I was thinking about this a while ago. I probably do it at least once a year. This year I had a buck over my right shoulder and was forced by position to switch and shoot lefty.
Not a big deal, I cleanly neck shot him and dropped him on his feet.
Do you guys find that a rare situation or common?

Never. Practice both ways and make them both the "right" hand shot.

Of the 4 deer in the last two years, 2 right-handed, one left-handed, one handgun.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
One time....I killed a turkey that was coming in from my right and there was no way I was gonna get turned around on him. Interestingly, it wasn't that difficult. I'm right handed but left eye dominant, so maybe that helped. I've never even practiced it. Probably should.

Chris

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for" Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never shot anything left handed. I cant hit my own butt, with my left hand!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Took this buck a few years ago as well as a nice 7pt in MO this year, in November. Both were taken shooting wrong handed while feet were in climbing stand stirrups. This one I was just beginning to climb up a tree. Buck came in from behind the tree to the right. Last years deer came in, chasing a doe, on my right side while I was descending in my climbing stand. Both times I got "scoped".. crazy
I can tell you, both were shot with a Montana 308. The light rifle came in very handy when changing hands while in precarious positions. I always have the rifle on my back when climbing or descending for just this reason. You never know when an opportunity will present itself.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Havn't needed to yet. But I would. As a Lefty I do a ton of stuff right handed anyway, so its no big deal..

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Three times on deer with a rifle. I never gave it much thought. There was no way to make the shots right handed. In the areas I hunt, the deer can come past you from any direction and wrong handed shots, while not common, do happen. Once I was hunting from a damaged tree stand and could not shift my position, but I got the deer.
I taught myself to shoot my recurve left handed a few years ago, when I had a shoulder injury that would not let me hold up the bow to pull it back with my right hand. I was ready but never got a shot that year

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't see any reason that it should be a problem should I need to make a wrong hand shot. A quick second shot might be kind of hard to do though.

Harry
H
H
I am left eye dominant and right handed, as a six year old trying to shoot, I could not close my left eye. So I learned to shoot lefty since I could close the right eye. A few years later I found that I could close either eye and shoot with either hand. Now I have no wrong hand to shoot with. Depends on which side of me the deer comes up on. 50/50 is what comes to my mind, I really do not think about it, just shoot when they stick their little noses out.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I was thinking about this a while ago. I probably do it at least once a year. This year I had a buck over my right shoulder and was forced by position to switch and shoot lefty.

Never EVER. Killing REALLY isn't that important. I have enough opportunity for error using my strong side. Why open the door for failure by shooting from your weak side. I am out there to KILL a deer, not to wound one. End of MY story.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rifle hunting not that I can remember. Turkey hunting with a shotgun is another story when the birds come in opposite the direction you think they will.

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

Never EVER. Killing REALLY isn't that important. I have enough opportunity for error using my strong side. Why open the door for failure by shooting from your weak side. I am out there to KILL a deer, not to wound one. End of MY story.

It ain't bragging if you can do it. Good to see you are aware of your limitations, don't assume we all suffer them.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
i've tried it a few times with a gun, and it went ok, don't think I could pull it off with my bow without a lot of practice

H
H
It is only a matter of practice and one of the best ways to hunt in a thicket. You can cover so much more area with smaller amounts of movement.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
some years back, I missed a nice buck because he was on the 'wrong' side of the tree stand. I could not reach around to my right and take him.
Since then, I have always taken a large caliber, heavily loaded hand gun with me in the tree stand.

Sam......

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I killed my hog on the 24HCF hunt this year with my off shoulder. Far from the first and hopefully not the last.

From here.........
[Linked Image]

To here...........
[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Why should I have to make a choice? grin

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have never had much of a problem shooting firearms from either side and change shoulders frequently in deer stands with equally wonderful results from either shoulder. I do have to close my right eye when I shoot a shotgun at a flying bird from my left shoulder.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We hunt out of tree climbers, lock on's, and tree stands.

I am right handed and shoot left handed perhaps 40% of the time at least.

No one ever thinks of practicing shooting off handed, but it is easy.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (06hunter59, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1234, 219DW, 160user, 65 invisible), 12,257 guests, and 1,026 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,254
Posts18,544,494
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.