Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Another reason to buy a Forbes: Costumer Service!

I recently found a 270 Forbes at my local Scheels and it went home with me. There turned out to be a minor glitch and the folks at Forbes were very, very helpful and responsive. That by itself sold me over. I have not worked it out yet, but I have no fears as I know I will be taken care of if there is a problem.

GB1

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I spend time everyday looking for deals on rifles. Some day I'll find a deal on a Forbes and try it out.

The only rifle I ever tried used, and then ran out and picked up new - 84L Montana, 30-06. Boring, ok. Get the job done for everything but the most dangerous of game? Yep.

This isn't a Presidential election were you only get to vote for one.

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scheels in Bismarck, ND has 3 of them on the shelf. 270,25-06, and 30-06.

When I have the $ and can put my caliber choice lunacy to rest, I will try a 24b...probably in a 7mm rem mag. I love my Kimber Montana but always wished it had a cheek swell. Plus, the Forbes balances extremely well for a light rifle and Kimber does not chamber a 7mm rem mag; so I'll give em a shot.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
So if you shoot a lot and forget to clean your extractor, that CRF might be essential. smile

One reason I like CRF is because it allows you to unload (with a blind magazine) without putting a round all the way into battery, unlike a puch feed.

I forgot to mention the three position safety in my last posts. Again, not essential, just nice, and functional to boot.

Never had to chamber a round to unload my 700 ADL's

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 ... I pop'em outta my 30-06 with my thumb usually ...

some folks NEED CRF and try to justify it by any stretch of the imagination.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
How is the bolt handle/scope clearance and bolt handle length relative to safety clearance on the Forbes?

I ask because on my NULA the clearance between the scope and bolt handle knob were tight enough that running it with friction-fit scope covers was problematic. Also, the bolt was short enough that gloves would sometimes catch and engage the safety. From the pictures, it looks like the bolt handle might be a little longer on the Forbes.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

If you say that the Forbes stock is that much better than the Montana, I have no doubt that it is. But, the Kimber stock seems to be pretty good. All three of mine shoot just fine, good enough that I couldn't justify putting a few hundred dollars more into them to improve accuracy.

You really should buy more lotto tickets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some Kimbers shoot great out of the box, some need some adjustments. Most all can become shooters...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
With a little work....

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
With a little work....
wink

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Havent seen a Forbes in my area yet, sure would like to see one first. But I like what i Hear

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
With a little work....

Show us how it did...grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Before....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shortactionsmoker; 03/24/13.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If you say that the Forbes stock is that much better than the Montana, I have no doubt that it is. But, the Kimber stock seems to be pretty good. All three of mine shoot just fine, good enough that I couldn't justify putting a few hundred dollars more into them to improve accuracy.

You really should buy more lotto tickets.

Never bought a lotto ticket in my life. Have you sold that POS Kimber yet?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That mimics my experience with my two Montanas. To put the icing on the cake, I have 54 loads that, for all intensive purposes, shoot to the same POI in my 223 Montana. Junk stock and all.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 03/24/13.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm going to elaborate a little here. Keep in mind that I'm not a Kimber basher as you read this post. I still like them and continue to buy them. In fact, in my hands nothing compares with how they feel. The Kimber 84m Montana is my preferred rifle above all others...

With that being said, I've seen more train wrecks from the factory with Kimber than any other maker. I'm on my 13th 84m....and this one was an epic [bleep] train wreck from the factory when I received it. Of the 13 I've purchased, 2 were good out of the box. I've given up on them many times in the past, but I keep going back soon after I throw another to my shoulder and say, "what if?".

I've concluded that they're going to need some tinkering to perform...period. I gave up on many in the past before I started asking questions to the right people. I received tons of advice and applied it accordingly.

I've learned that every new Kimber rifle needs a thorough check up. Often the slave bedding sucks, the mag boxes are bottoming out, the front action screw is too long, the crown "isn't" and the barrel is usually making contact somewhere in the channel.

I could scream at Kimber and ask why in the Hell can't they fix these problems before they let them leave the factory --- but I won't. I should probably thank them because they've taught more about rifle trouble shooting than I ever thought possible.

FWIW, I have another 223 Montana on order and I'm on the hunt for a Montana .473" donor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Montana's are just too good of a basis for an awesome hunting rifle to NOT put in some good work on. I wouldn't care if I had to dremel the thing out and re-bed it, grind the mag-box down, lap/coat the bore, recrown, or rebarrel. Fact is, I kind of like dicking around with rifles, though I know it's not for everyone.

The things are perfectly light, stainless, feature an incredible stock, feed like a champ, and are just badass rifles on the whole. If you've got to put in 2 or 3 nights of tuning and connecting dots, you're still going to be ahead of the curve regarding $1,000 rifles, and that is a fact. Mine shot perfectly acceptable out of the box....

Damn.... just salivated a little.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice work with that one Darrik!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sam -- did you see Tanner's post? I'm betting he'll be tripping something soon and bringing home another Montana!

After you get yours tomorrow and decide you want a sampler pack of bullets to play with give me a shout. I'm DEEP in 6mm and can send some your way. No sense in spending big $$$ if you want to try several different bullets.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Tanner
Montana's are just too good of a basis for an awesome hunting rifle to NOT put in some good work on. I wouldn't care if I had to dremel the thing out and re-bed it, grind the mag-box down, lap/coat the bore, recrown, or rebarrel. Fact is, I kind of like dicking around with rifles, though I know it's not for everyone.

The things are perfectly light, stainless, feature an incredible stock, feed like a champ, and are just badass rifles on the whole. If you've got to put in 2 or 3 nights of tuning and connecting dots, you're still going to be ahead of the curve regarding $1,000 rifles, and that is a fact. Mine shot perfectly acceptable out of the box....

Damn.... just salivated a little.

And you should be in gunsmith school. If I've ever seen a calling, you're it!

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (alffe, 6mmCreedmoor, 375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 15 invisible), 817 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,909
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.