Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends on your use and patience.

The Kimber is a great mountain rifle. As light as they get. They can shoot decent, but it takes some serious fiddling around at the loading bench.

I've never seen an Icon but, heavier guns do have their place, and I use them often.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bellydeep

The Kimber is a great mountain rifle. As light as they get. They can shoot decent, but it takes some serious fiddling around at the loading bench.

I've never seen an Icon but, heavier guns do have their place, and I use them often.

Maybe there are bad Kimbers....but I've not found one.

8400 Classic 300 WSM shoots Federal 165 gr TSX loads to under an inch consistently.

8400 Montana 270 WSM shoots Federal 140 AB factory loads to .5-.75" consistently.

84M Montana 338 Fed shot Federal Fusions and 185 TSX loads to 1.5-4". Loaded Fed Cases with 48.5 gr TAC, BR2 primer and 185 TTSX it shot at just under .5".

Rifles that light are hard to shoot well...maybe this is part of the stigma?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nothing wrong with heavier rifles, but they aren't as much fun to walk with. There is no denying that getting a Kimber to shoot can be tough at times. It took me a while to concur each of mine, but the fruits were worth the labor.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Love my Icon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
30T/C 3 shot group at 150yds with factory ammo. Bipod and a pillow. IMO the Icons are the best factory rifle you can buy for the money. I own 4

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Travis13; 12/07/12.
IC B2

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

If you buy a Kimber and it doesn't shoot, you should ask some of the people here for advice. This forum is a wonderful resource.

The first one I had issues with was properly bedded, then restocked and bedded again. Kimber recut the bad crown. Load development went virtually nowhere. Kimber was an absolute PIA to deal with. Finally had a smith go over it at my expense and found excessive headspace and chamber wasn't cut in line with the bore.
The second poor shooter had a huge burr in the throat, chatter marks in the chamber, and the bore resembled a bananna.
The third Kimber is absolutely wonderful. Light, accurate, and good looking. I won't buy another one.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by RockChucker30
[quote=bellydeep]Rifles that light are hard to shoot well...maybe this is part of the stigma?

I realize many folks can't shoot heavy recoilers accurately but I seem to do quite well with a 7lb 375 H&H. The bad Kimbers I dicked with had major build issues.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RockChucker30
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Maybe there are bad Kimbers....but I've not found one.

8400 Classic 300 WSM shoots Federal 165 gr TSX loads to under an inch consistently.

8400 Montana 270 WSM shoots Federal 140 AB factory loads to .5-.75" consistently.

84M Montana 338 Fed shot Federal Fusions and 185 TSX loads to 1.5-4". Loaded Fed Cases with 48.5 gr TAC, BR2 primer and 185 TTSX it shot at just under .5".

Rifles that light are hard to shoot well...maybe this is part of the stigma?

I bought a 84m in 7mm-08 as an early Xmas present a few years back. I put a Leupold vxIII 2.5-8x36 on it and thought I had the perfect deer rifle. I took it to the range and it shot shotgun patterns using 140 grain Remington Corelockts. I then noticed the foreend of the stock warping to the left. I sent it in to kimber and I had it upgraded to the 3 pos wing safety. I got back the original receiver,forward portion of the bolt , trigger and barrel. Everything else and I mean everything else was replaced. They did all this in 2 weeks or so. The gun shot great and everything was ok. I don't remember how much I paid for the gun at the time but I thought with that kind of cash outlay a lot more attention would be paid to build quality and detail.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My 4 Kimber Montanas did not take much load development. Simple to load for, easy shooters. You certainly have to know how to shoot such light rifles from the bench if you are taken by bench accuracy standards. I'm much more interested in how they shoot from sticks, bipods and other field positions than bench work.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MY .223 ICON Precision Hunter is aptly named. It feels like a precision tool in your hands, and retains more inherent accuracy than I can withdraw from it with my feeble eyes and trembling extremities. I bought it for varmint/paper punching and it is well suited for both of those tasks. It is a bit more heavy than my Kimbers but it is used for a different purpose.

[Linked Image]

The Kimbers I own (.308, 7mm-08, and .260) are all light in weight and just have that special feel as you raise them to your shoulder. Light weight and precise are the two adjectives I use to describe them. I think both rifles fill specific notches on the typical rifle looney "needs" list.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This thread caught my eye as I own 2 Icons-both weathershields. I really like the product. Don't follow the company profile to much but it seems all the SW-TC bolt action marketing has been steered toward the ventures/predators. As far as the Icon, if you can find one, the prices have really headed downward the last couple or three years. My hunting buddy is a heck of a woodsman and hunter. He must own 20 long guns, 3 of which are Kimber bolt actions. This is why I have a lot of respect for the Kimber products cause this guy doesn't go cheap on a rifle, he knows what he likes in the details. Like the Kimber the Icon has a flat bottom receiver. This is the big difference along with the bedding between the Icon and a Venture, and the reason why I chose the Icon twice, even though years ago I started out looking for a venture. I am quite satisfied with the accuracy and the aesthetics of the Icon. I'm glad to see a comparison discussion between the Icon and the Kimber. Even though availability of the Icon seems iffy, I consider the two I have belong in the same conversation as Sako, Kimber, Mark Vs Accumarks (certainly winchester and remington) and other high-dollar rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never touched a TC, so can't comment on them.

I've played Kimber Roulette twice and won big each time. First was an 84M Classic in .308, bought used off of here 5 years ago, it shoots well with several bullets. It was my favorite deer rifle, until the second Kimber.

Second was an 84M Classic Select in .257 Roberts, bought used off gunbroker a couple months ago. Dad reseated some bullets he had loaded up for another .257, immediate sub inch groups. He's loaded up multiple bullets and powder combinations, all sub inch groups.

I've got variations of 700's, 70's, and 77's, I like them all for one reason or another, but the Kimber is the one that feels best to me.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
as one who has owned a couple kimbers and fired a couple icons, if the focus was on accuracy and dependability/function, i'd select an icon.

if the focus was on light weight, kimber gets the nod.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Agree with hot soup...you wont find better shooting rifle than an ICON

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,797
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.