Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
shreck Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anybody been there? Fishing/hunting in the area around late Aug-sept?

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Drove through there a bunch of times but never stopped. Looked like beautiful country. I will be interested in the replies you get.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
shreck Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They have a Titanic Museum!

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shreck
They have a Titanic Museum!

Does that mean the museum is sinking? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by shreck
Anybody been there? Fishing/hunting in the area around late Aug-sept?

No real hunting going on yet in that area. There is a lot of fly fishing in the area especially GSMNP but those are wild fish and can be difficult to catch. Little River outfitters in Townsend TN can be a good source of info. They are very knowledgeable folks.

Cades Cove is worth a drive through the area. Lots of deer, turkeys, coyotes and maybe bear depending on the berries. Lots of other exploring in GSMNP.

The Titanic museum is actually really well done, I was pleasantly surprised.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Smoky Mtn Knifeworks is worth a stop as well.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Let me get home and on a real computer and I'll help you out. Im a ups driver up there.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Lots of fishing in the area. The Park has some quite nice trout fishing, and it is very easy to get away from the crowds by walking a few yards. There is also wonderful trout fishing in some of the rivers below dams and in some of the colder rivers coming out of the mountains. You have a whole bunch of lakes that can provide bass, bream, trout, rockfish, catfish, and about all the other game fish. I think you can find enough fishing opportunities nearby to last you a very long time.

For a quick trip I would go up into the Park and fish some of the streams. I am not sure whether your NC license is still good throughout the Park.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Notropis

For a quick trip I would go up into the Park and fish some of the streams. I am not sure whether your NC license is still good throughout the Park.

"License Requirements
You must possess a valid fishing license or permit from either Tennessee or North Carolina. Either state license is valid throughout the park and no trout stamp is required. Fishing licenses and permits are not available in the park, but may be purchased in nearby towns or online (links provided by state below). Special permits are required for fishing in Gatlinburg and Cherokee."

Great Smoky Mountains National Park official website

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hit it up 3 to 4 times a year.

I have ZERO interest in all the jip joints, shoe outlets, dinner theaters, ripleys, aquarium. I refuse to mingle all those fleshy cotton candy suckin tourists from Oklahoma and Arkansas. Who make all the hotels and cabins there smell like poodles and cheap cigarettes. No offense to 'fire friends.

All we care about are the hiking trails in the Natl Park.

East Tn hunting is only a rumor. They do stock the river there weekly with trout though, if you like trout that have been fed a steady diet of kibbles-n-bits dog food.

That place is absolute traffic chaos on any weekend....it's always fatfukk biker week, lardass lawnchair carshows, fatprincess cheerleader conference, hit during the middle of the week or you will go homocidal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on Cades Cove. It's a "must see" place when we go to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area.

GK

shreck Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sagebrusher
Originally Posted by Notropis

"License Requirements
You must possess a valid fishing license or permit from either Tennessee or North Carolina. Either state license is valid throughout the park and no trout stamp is required.
Great Smoky Mountains National Park official website

Sweet! I've a lifetime fishing license in NC, great to know.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lotts of traffic and people

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Isn't that where Dolly Parton's Dollyland or Dollywood is located?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
I hit it up 3 to 4 times a year.

I have ZERO interest in all the jip joints, shoe outlets, dinner theaters, ripleys, aquarium. I refuse to mingle all those fleshy cotton candy suckin tourists from Oklahoma and Arkansas. Who make all the hotels and cabins there smell like poodles and cheap cigarettes. No offense to 'fire friends.

All we care about are the hiking trails in the Natl Park.

East Tn hunting is only a rumor. They do stock the river there weekly with trout though, if you like trout that have been fed a steady diet of kibbles-n-bits dog food.

That place is absolute traffic chaos on any weekend....it's always fatfukk biker week, lardass lawnchair carshows, fatprincess cheerleader conference, hit during the middle of the week or you will go homocidal.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds kinda like acadia national park in maine when all the massholes come up during the summer laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

i buried one of douglas mcarthurs bodygaurds in gatlinburg back in the day doing funeral service from the 101, only time i ever been in that area

thanks for the lowdown on it
know im not missing a darn thing

laugh laugh laugh

Last edited by renegade50; 03/27/13.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Shortmag
+1 on Cades Cove. It's a "must see" place when we go to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area.

GK

+2 on Cades Cove, but get there early, day break. If you go in the afternoon it can take hours to do the 11 mile loop. I've seen much more wildlife at first light.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ironbender
Isn't that where Dolly Parton's Dollyland or Dollywood is located?

Yes, Dollywood is in Pigeon Forge.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have a Dollywood story.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The classic Cades Cove experience is by bicycle. Get there before they open the gate. If in a car, you might enjoy the Rich Mountain Road from the Cove to Wares Valley or the Parsons Branch Road from the Cove over to the road along the Little T. Both are gravel and lightly traveled but quite suitable for cars.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 58 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.